In defense of script format...
1. Fanfic can be bad in any format.
2. In a dialog heavy story this works. Witty conversation has a rhythm, a flow, and too much punctuation and descriptors throws that off.
3. I really dislike the shape my hand has to make on a keyboard to make " and " (yep, that one's random)
4. I'm too wordy already, and this allows me to make my point and use less punctuation. Bonus.
5. I dislike in narrative format when someone tells me how to feel or that so and so is hot or everythinks she's hot. It bugs me. Show me, don't dictate. Also for emotions don't just say someone is jealous, turned on, pissed off, show me the physical reaction, give me the frenzy of emotion as it whips through them. It's the difference between saying you're heartbroken over a losing a trinket vs breaking up with your first love and feeling like your insides have been hollowed out and there is nothing but a cavern filling with grief and regret. Big difference.
6. I absolutely love SKKs extended VM scripts for the end of Season 1 and have a good impression of the format.
I admit that I use a modified script format, that I do internal thoughts, but they'd be awful pouty/broody without some explanation.
I think in script formats people describe clothes and hair a lot. I don't. I only do it when the look is important to me or very vivid in my mind. Otherwise I leave it up to y'all.2/28/2011 #1 Report
I actually love that you use this format! Sorry I never log in so I've never submitted a review before. I suck... Anyway I saw this note at the bottom or the newest chapter and never even knew before that there were forums on FF. Needless to say I logged in to tell you I think your version of script format is fantastic. You could definitely (in my opinion anyway and I'm fairly critical) make a living as a writer. Love your stories and can't wait for more.3/7/2011 #2 Report
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this format. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "show me, don't dictate." This format really does lend itself to showing rather than telling. And you've done a great job with it!4/6/2011 #3 Report
That would be the best job ever....but I think the stress of worrying about being fired would be tough.4/14/2011 #5 Report
I like your format, so much that I even red the script format of the first 10 chapters of season 1 to enter in the right mode at the beginning of this epic jouney!
But the I red your one shot future story and I liked it a lot, so maybe it's just what you write more that how you write it!
Fifty10/6/2012 #6 Report