for The Speech

Excellent!
5/2 c1 1All American Autor
With a speech like this, maybe Democracy doesn't die in the the Dredd Verse
2/21 c1 8Imraphel
Oh, what a good short. I wish I'd read this on earlier. Well done.
3/3/2020 c1 erik
This fits the unexpectedness of Dredd's character.
10/31/2019 c1 Mppc
Works.
3/11/2019 c1 13RapiDe
I love this for the very simple reason that the newsman simply tells the truth and DOESN'T get arrested, by Dredd. People forget that the Law is a guide and even though the Judges rule as Justice Department, the original intent was to keep people safe-even from themselves. The Cursed Earth is a nuclear wasteland where life as we know it cannot survive, the result of the last President of the USA's insanity, but once upon a time there was much more to it. The system that existed pre-Justice Department was rotten through and HAD to go, what happened is proof of that, and nobody could do it but Justice Department. But even Fargo, founder and first chief of Justice Department, said it was never meant to be forever. Day of Chaos is one of the very worst examples why-Mega-City One was, when everything went to Hell, the most powerful and richest Mega-City on the planet. Post-Chaos. it is essentially a charred shell, a wrecked remainder of itself. Likely the US government couldn't have done any better, but ultimately they always answered to the people. Justice Department just...doesn't. Short of force, there is no redress to be had. Even Dredd knows that the system ultimately just doesn't work, just look up why he wears tighter boots the older he gets. Also, even after everything, he wants the best for Mega-City One and it's people, and if telling hard truths is a crime when it needs to be done then Dredd will take the Long Walk, again. This reminds me of a favourite Dredd story of mine: a tech Judge creates an airborne drug post-Chaos to keep the population "calm"-but ends up dead, even though it seems to work. Dredd discovers the Judge was taking the credit for a lower-ranking Judges work and she tampered with the formula he had to see him dead. He confronts her, but she use's the formula and wears a special protective suit, claiming he cannot harm her in any way now exposed-he cannot make any aggressive action. He shoots her in the shoulder and just says: "This isn't anger. It's the Law". Keep up the good work.
1/27/2019 c1 yesboss21
Eomer from Lord Of The Rings inspiring fear from his name alone and a fitting motto for him and his belief "Unbowed, Unbend, Unbroken"
11/15/2018 c1 9Trscroggs
Judge Dredd is not one of my fandoms, I know very little about it. However from what little I know this was absolutely perfect and long needed.
12/26/2017 c1 Tanathar
Good short story :)
2/13/2016 c1 3Sheogorath's Avatar
I know very little about Dredd, but this is easily one of the best fics I've read on this site.
10/1/2015 c1 Guest
Why do I think he's a descendant of Bill O'Reilly?
7/10/2014 c1 harrt
"one dressed like a vegetable and only ever said the word 'clump' in interviews?" HAHAHA!

This is great - a good insight as to how it takes both sides, Judges and civilians, to maintain a system that's imperfect.

Also shows that the system needs to evolve, and the way that criticism can be constructive.
7/8/2014 c1 9ThePsiFiles
(I am making it my goal to review all the Dredd stories in the fandom, as there are less than 100 of them. Wish me luck!)

I always liked the comics - I read them a long time ago in collected editions loaned by my friend. But I stopped reading them maybe 20 years ago, and the comics I was reading were often older. I am now getting back into reading them (and they stand up very well). So, I am not familiar with the Day of Chaos. Still; major apocalyptic thing, right?

I like this story - basically, just a single speech with a little narrative. It is interesting this newsman was the one who parroted the Judges' lines . . . and now stands up. It is also interesting he doesn't suggest anything impossible - the references to not being ready for Democracy (with funny examples!) are telling. He is not calling for a revolution - he is calling for people to think again.

And Dredd's presence is perfect. The Judges were not, not really, not in the heart of GOOD Judges, about power or politics. They were about trying to save the city from itself, the people from themselves. They did their thankless task because it had to be. And one gets the impression the good Judges would - when the time was right - step aside and let the people try to run things again, knowing that - sooner or later - it will come crashing down.

Because that is the message here - we are explicitly told the President (elected) and the Congress (elected) screwed up and the only thing that endured was the Judiciary (appointed from the elite). Basically, the very first thing we are told in the speech calling for people to think for themselves is that *it gets screwed up when they do*.

Very powerful, subtle, thought-provoking. Entirely in keeping with the Dredd tradition. I enjoyed this a lot.
2/5/2014 c1 Greyknight
That was very nicely done. Thank you.
1/23/2014 c1 21edboy4926