for Call to Arms

7/23/2015 c5 7Formerly known as J
There was something that particularly appealed to me about Kenneth getting around on the beach in his bespoke suit with his feet 'as white and bare as the sand they stood on.' No wonder Rilla blushed. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I also enjoyed each of their inner dialogues, both preoccupied with their age difference, and internally berating themselves for looking foolish when they were too distracted to hear what the other was saying.

I absolutely loved Ken comparing himself to the waves: 'constantly pulled in by desire, only to draw back in fear.' That just seemed to perfectly describe new love, when you don't yet know how the other person feels, and I sympathised with Ken being weary of all the second guessing. Because it is exhausting and exhilarating. And Rilla breathing with the tide. Ooooh, lovely. Then, I was loving how many times Ken may have been in this situation with a girl before, since he reflected that 'it was usually about this time' that they would ask him what he was thinking. No wonder he was relieved Rilla didn't ask him. I especially enjoyed him tracing the flowers on the edge of her dress, while she rested her chin upon her knees in classic Blythe girl style.

Then their dialogue about being different to the others in their families. Rilla because she thinks she's a 'dunce' and Ken because he wants to make his own way, not just because he's the famous author's son. Already starting to explain why going off to war meant so much to him. And "Shall we continue?" Ooooh, yes please, Ken! And I loved Rilla's Anne-inspired encouragement about the bend in the road inducing him to give her hand a little squeeze.

Hooly doolies, then Ken's jacket again, with the silken lining kissing her skin, then seeming like it was Rilla about him. Talk about exquisite tension around them. How could that be the moment that the announcement of war came like a train? No wonder 'he was too overwhelmed and she too uncomprehending' to make sense of it. But, no Ken, don't be appalled that you had wanted her to tie herself to you and called her Rilla-my-Rilla! Don't just let her dance with that other lad. Aaargh!

I am still thoroughly enjoying all your genius moments in this story, kwak, and I am dreading Ken 'looking for war' just as much as Rilla will be.
7/20/2015 c4 Formerly known as J
I must say I am finding the sophisticated Kenneth Ford being all lovesick and 'moony' immensely diverting, Ms K. And that he is continuing to avoid the attentions of the rest of the over-harbour youths by travelling to the dance in the buggy is equally entertaining for me.

I'll tell you what else I'm loving about this story, kwak, is your beautiful and vivid descriptions throughout, which is bringing this story and the Island to life for me, just as your characters brought AotI to life for me previously in the RDs. In this chapter, I especially enjoyed the 'coppery sheet of sea,' 'the long bridge of light' beaming across the water as they rowed, 'the ribbon of road that connected the shabby village to a bustling peninsula of boats and warehouses, ' Ken's 'woody' smell (I bet it was!) and 'the green of Rilla's skirts pressing into the black of his trousers' at the dance. And it feels to me as if the wind is one of the characters in every chapter. It seems to be continually ruffling hair, jackets, shirts, skirts and for some reason I find this especially evocative and a really lovely detail. I guess it's not called Four Winds for nothing, hey?

The dance. Mate, this was just perfect, incorporating Maud's dialogue with your own in your usual brilliant and ingenious kwak fashion. I loved that Ken knew she would be there and that she would say yes when he asked her to dance, but then not quite so cocky when he got there and all the boys obviously already wanted to dance with her. So glad you told us what happened when Ken rowed the flat across to the shore. I especially loved her stroking the fabric of his jacket and Ken 'breathless at the sight of her bare skin' and bursting to kiss the places where the moonlight touched. 'Only heaven could help him now' indeed, k.
7/19/2015 c3 Formerly known as J
Oh, k, I laughed at Ken walking around to the back door even with his bung ankle to avoid the girl at the front, and then escaping Ethel Reese out the back. I was also amused that everybody had noticed that every letter he received that summer was from a different woman. Hilarious! However, the one letter that mattered from Japan was so poignant, and I loved hearing about his bad poetry and heartbreak as a teenager when Naoko wouldn't go against the wishes of her family to run away with him. So, perhaps that's why he's such an inveterate lady-killer now, hmmmm? Although, of course, he does have that dangerous way of listening that drives all the girls mad, so perhaps it's not entirely his fault.

I just loved Anne and Walter catching poems on the beach! And that this light-hearted approach was so different from Owen Ford's genius, taking him 'like a fever' with Leslie enduring the 'dark days' while he writes. Delicious, delicious details. I so enjoyed Ken and Walter's discussion of the perfect woman, and Ken reciting lines of Walter's poem to Rosamund/Faith. And that Walter's onto Ken noticing Rilla: "When you think of Rilla?" and "-Fancy!" were golden comments.

Anne letting Rilla go to the dance was gorgeous and painful at the same time, knowing that the impending war meant such happy events would be crowded out in the future. And then reminiscing about her own girlhood days, and oooohh I do love a 'silken flush' babe! I loved Anne noticing the silent conversation going on, and how happy Ken makes Walter. Yes, I believe he does, Anne!

How perfect that Ken was unable to stop himself looking when he took the opportunity to watch Rilla, drinking her in 'the way the sand drinks rain' while his heart accelerated and thinking of her eyes asking him the question while his answer burned inside him. oooof!

Another sensational chapter, k, with the backdrop of the war overshadowing everything now. Even the prospect of a simple country dance on PEI.
7/19/2015 c2 Formerly known as J
And Ken's 'trouble' with Rilla begins. I love, love, love that Kenneth Ford, *the* Kenneth Ford, is blushing and knocking over umbrella stands in his confusion at seeing 'the Blythe baby,' and worrying about whether she can still see him in the hall. It was perfect that he was remembering the last time he'd seen her, playing tea parties on the felled birch tree and seeing her now the same, but somehow not the same.

Then Ken being in 'a dull sort of stupor' and pulling petals when he joined the others and asking about Miss Oliver as a means to find out more about Rilla. Hehehe. It was perfect that they all thought he was interested in Gertrude not Rilla, and I loved the silent conversation between the twins all about it. I enjoyed Ken's relief at the dress from Persis 'wearing' her that made her look like little Rilla to him again, and her wearing the cuff that looked like a manacle, tying her to him. Beautiful.

I just adored Gilbert giving Jerry a clap on the back for encouragement because he knew how he felt! Haha!

I loved reading about Ken's insecurities at being Owen Ford's son: "I can only edit this stuff", etc what a fabulous, genius kwak touch. And Walter worrying he'd only got published because of Ken and Owen - and the beginnings of seeing his feelings for Ken. But my favourite was Ken choking on his cigarette when Walter suggests he should marry one of his sisters and 'those damnable Blythe eyes.' Loved it.

Ken and Walter's conversation juxtaposed with Rilla and Gertrude's was perfect. I loved 'he hurt my feelings excruciatingly' and 'I hate Kenneth Ford' ah, yes, sounds very familiar, k. ;)

Gorgeous work again.
7/18/2015 c1 Formerly known as J
Here I go, k, with my extreeeeemely belated and extreeeemely overdue review of this gorgeous story of yours. My apologies for the delay. This chapter is simply the perfect introduction to the Ingleside clan in those days immediately before the announcement of war. What I loved was how lovely and carefree their lives seemed pre-war: games of tennis and lazy picnic feasts on the Ingleside lawn during their holidays from college. Lovely.

You established all of their various personalities so beautifully here. I especially enjoyed the Blythes being used to 'talking over, around and through each other.' It reminded me of how my sisters and I talk to each other when we're all together (others often comment that they can't keep up!), and I would expect no less from the offspring of Anne & Gilbert - certainly no slouches in the words department, themselves!

The lovely little interaction with Jem, Ken and Susan in the kitchen was adorable (why wouldn't you start with her?) and I loved that she was saving the gooseberries for Gilbert. I enjoyed her description of Ken looking 'as though he'd just talked his way out of a spanking' and that 'he was certainly no Island boy.' But, surely, I hope he will prove later on that he is...? I particularly appreciated Jem's similarities to his father: winking his hazel eyes and his laughing voice 'waiting on everyone to get the joke.' Oooohh la la, I think I love him already. Meanwhile, 'Baker-nalian' was inspired! Of course, Walter would say such a thing, and I also loved his discussion of the divine pre-Raphaelite women and his love of all beauty. Of course he was against the ugliness and had 'no taste for war' and the rising tension between him and Jem because of it was portrayed wonderfully.

And of course, I loved Ken's first glimpse of Rilla all grown up: automatically sitting up straighter and raking his hair back before he recognised her, and checking if any of the other boys were competition for her affections. 'She was Rilla!' Boom! Perfect introduction.
4/27/2015 c5 5rebeccathehistorian
Thank you for writing this. I enjoyed reading this chapter.

Even though I knew the announcement was coming, I still gasped when I read it.
4/27/2015 c4 rebeccathehistorian
I really enjoyed this chapter. I loved the way you really took your time to explore their first dance together.
4/27/2015 c3 rebeccathehistorian
I really like the idea of Walter and Ken being such good friends. So thank you for that! And the fact that Anne was trying to catch a poem for Walter? That was wonderful.

For a moment I was in shock when you mentioned that Anne finally agreed that Rilla could go to the dance because war was imminent. I never thought of Anne listening/reading about war news before the war even started, but after a couple of moments, I realized that it made perfect sense. The last two or three weeks before England declared war on Germany just shot straight out like the start of a roller coaster without anyone being able to stop it/making it stop.
4/27/2015 c2 rebeccathehistorian
I'm really enjoying this. Thank you so much for writing it!

And the reason why Walter and all the Blythes look like they can see into your very soul, is because they're the children of Anne (Shirley) Blythe, Kenneth Ford! And I can't believe you called Rilla "Spider!"
4/14/2015 c20 PelirrojaBiu
Amazing way to end this strory. Despite the darkness of the previous chapters it seemed so bright and warm and light. The veranda, the flowers, her white dress- beautiful picture.
I had no idea I would love a non-Anne story as much as I loved this one. Can't wait for part two!
4/14/2015 c19 PelirrojaBiu
I have no words to describe how utterly perfect that chapter was. I got goosebumps all over, especially that both Una and Anne just knew that they are seeing the last of him.
4/14/2015 c18 PelirrojaBiu
The whole Ford family was exactly as I have imagined and even better. Beautiful writing as always, especially the scene between the father and son.
4/13/2015 c16 PelirrojaBiu
Beautiful scene in the valley. Walter and Ken were marvellous.

Here is the thought: what happened to that other twin, Victory? I wonder if I missed something or not...
4/13/2015 c14 PelirrojaBiu
Heart wrechingly beautiful. I'm crying over those two couples instead of writing my tesis. Awesome. Your fault entirely!
4/8/2015 c8 PelirrojaBiu
Oh how I love Gilbert in this story!

I have never been too found of Rilla of Ingleside, having read it maybe twice, but your characterisation of Blythes and Meredits and last but not least Ken is spot on and makes me come back to their story.
156 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »