for Hillside

10/22/2016 c1 DaffyMaiden
It's cool that so many of us independently thought Diana would be some family's own private teacher!

Peter's absolutely right about Walter. When I first read Rilla as a tween-ager, I wished he hadn't died, but as an adult I see there's no other way it could have gone.
11/25/2014 c27 22katherine-with-a-k
i think you did right to have it short even though i wanted more. it felt right, it felt whole and it felt luminous. the clementine sunset was the perfect light to bathe them in, like the amber in colette's beads and the red of di's hair. it seemed to bind them all together, only i was missing gyp. and i felt the absence just as peter did, just as colettes felt it of peter, and di felt it when she thought of ingleside. thankyou for letting us tuck up the children one last time, listen to the music (that had been missing -yes, the children have lost so much but haven't they also gained something 'living' too.) and put this story and this family to bed. i would only add one thing -besides an enormous thank you for this amazing tale, i will never ever forget colette and peter's love story- that di should have said 'what a family WE are' -because it is di's family now and i am thankful that you have given her such a magical, lovable, 'living' life. thank you, for an extraordinary story :o)
11/13/2014 c26 katherine-with-a-k
this was lovely writing. i want to tell you so because i know what a fag it can be, this drawing up a story into conclusion. the mystery has gone for the writer then, and the whole thing is more a labour of love for the reader. in which case thank you my dear. i liked this very much. loved the picture of them all, nancy all in rustling black, as though she cared a stitch for her brother, let alone his children. the terror of being parted from each other was captured so perfectly -parceled up like meat. i couldn't help think of poor emily then, being sent to live away from her father's beloved home. it was too much, too cruel a thing to even contemplate them being separated, i couldn't help but picture what ruthie's fate would have been. and i adore richard more every time i read him. adored paul too for knowing the richard must be sought as soon as possible. a wonderful place to end, caro's please like a ball on a jet of water. when i think of the time they have had together i love them all, love the way colette could give up her life (one that she loves so much she would put it before peter) for these children. and i love the way di instinctively lookeded at her knowing immediately the sacrifice she had made. i love these people and i love this story :o)
11/11/2014 c25 katherine-with-a-k
when i saw the word gyp in the title of this chapter i can't tell you how relieved i was, i thought if gyp has returned then so has peter.

when he disappeared yesterday into the fog i had been fretting over him ever since. thank you for putting that fear to rest so quickly.

and also curse you for making me think everything was going to be ok ;o)

GYP! peter's reaction near broke my heart -the way he deflected all his grief into his care for colette. i am so astonished and saddened but also see so clearly now (about the only thing that you can see clearly in that murderous haar) what a solid, beautifully knit and astonishing set of friends di, colette and peter are. when colette said 'i am not alone' i thought then that i don't see di ever going back to ingleside (and i'm not sorry for it, it always was a strange fit for her -and anne moved from avonlea afterall- but i'm getting ahead of myself)

then when peter arrived, the three of them seemed like a trinity -part of this magnificent whole which would be diminished the moment any of them broke away from each other, and i felt they will never would be now (annunciata or no annunciata).

l loved the care they all had for the children, loved especially richard's adoration for colette, and am wondering madly what it was that made gyp go for the car -is there to be a gothic twist? but mostly i am struck with the image of the three of them, walking to the house together, and that is a thought i am happy to linger on.
11/10/2014 c24 katherine-with-a-k
i have been lying in bed awake for just under and hour unable to fall back asleep. i felt like something was wrong and not having a book that i am currently reading (save the ever present anne) i thought i would see what i could find here. imagine my happiness to see that TWO of your stories have been published, imagine my fright when i read this.
what gothic splendour. i feel like you waited to make explicit st christopher's name for just this scene. oh i am so utterly worried. please please don't tell me this is going where i think it's going? No! you couldn't! -yes you so utterly could. i feel a little ill and will hie me to sussex street i think ;o)
11/8/2014 c7 5JennWithAPenn
I'm enjoying seeing the development of Colette and Paul's relationship. I haven't failed to notice the way Peter gets riled up when Annunciata says anything unpleasant about her... he seems fairly able to hold his tongue otherwise. Unfortunate for them that Annunciata walked in at the wrong time... that certainly set her up for dislike of both of them (not that she likes anyone). I enjoyed Annunciata's scruples about the baptism, although I am more aligned to Peter's way of thinking than to hers. And my favorite was probably Paul's line at the end... what a world it would be if we were all as unreserved as children! I do worry about Mimi having more children though... as she is hardly stable enough to care for the ones she has...
11/8/2014 c6 JennWithAPenn
Oh dear, Annunciata is dreadful! She is all that is absurd and impertinent wrapped into one. What I love is that, though she is similar to Mary Maria, she is still very different at the same time. Although I'm not sure who I'd prefer if I had to choose. My favorite was how appalled she was that they did not have a room ready for her, as if they should have anticipated the exact day of her arrival! I certainly hope she won't stay long but I have a feeling that won't be the case. Relatives that we wish to leave never leave us the pleasure of doing so. Needless to say, I am intrigued to see what you have in store, as far as she goes.
11/2/2014 c23 Guest
quebec with a hard k, do you mean it is pronounced K'bec by the native speakers? that's the kind of irreplaceable treasure that you sprinkle your writing with, thank you!
i really enjoyed this, there were a couple of passages that brought madeleine st john to mind -"not me" she said quickly... and di perhaps sensed more... -there was a feel and a style and a voice that felt so hers i got goosbumps. i also adored the line about the phosphorescent quality of light that seemed to emanate from colette's face, you are incredible that way you conjure images and language like that.
i am glad that colette came back of her own accord, and the way she scanned the scene for evidence that di and peter had somehow developed feelings for each other was gorgeous, and recalled the opening scene when colette first came at the beginning of the story. in fact there was a sense of that beginning being revisited, where things are ever changed but also thankfully the same. i recalled some sage advice i received from a wise mother who said 'we keep routines not to make the easy times boring but to hold us when things are difficult' -to have that sense of continuation to cling to when we feel we are are about to be flung off the earth as it turns. i am just so gratified these children have these grown ups to cling to, but i am equally glad they have each other. i know things have changed but i love them for the way they are determined to salvage something, it endears them to me all the more :o)
katherine
11/2/2014 c23 2Nan of Ingleside
it felt good to be restored to the routine- I needed it half as much as your little ones did. I loved seeing Colette and Richard together, especially- I sometimes forget she was his maman, he seemed to be around less than the others before.
I loved how real Peter and Colette were again- with this swinging back and forth quality that all people in love know when you take a step forward, then two back again and so it goes. they know each other all too well and yet circle around one another in quite a conundrum. it's only too enjoyable to all people who know this feeling. thank you immensely for this chapter, alinya!
I'm worried for Peter now, though. you're not planning anything SO devious as that, are you? please?
10/24/2014 c22 Nan of Ingleside
I loved the composition of the chapter with the reactions of the children intertwined with what has become, I guess, the heart of the plot i.e. Peter and Colette. Laurie Lee broke me, but you did splendid on the others, too. Richard made me all teary with his devotion to his 'maman' although it also froze me a little, thinking about Mimi and how she, even unwittingly, failed those children. Caro, although that probably isn't the effect you wanted, reminds me of a darker Clara from The Nutcracker somehow, although with so much more depth to her. really, I admire what you did with the little ones.
as for Colette and Peter, you've managed to create an OTP (although that sounds really stupid in relation to this story) Colette was so brave when she told him openly how she felt and so endearing when she mixed English and Accadian in doing so, without the usual 'translation' bits she provides so often... and Peter was so gentle, but also so broken it made the whole scene very real. so real, in fact, that I have absolutely NO idea how it's going to develop.
it's a good thing I don't have nails to bite into, when I know I'll be sitting here on tenterhooks, waiting for another chapter! and thank you for the story, alinya, it certainly is one of a kind.
10/19/2014 c22 22katherine-with-a-k
oooh, this was a well constructed, tightly drawn thing. bliss! i was hanging on the edge of my seat torn between the different conversations. so exciting. though i suppose that is bad taste, and yet i just want to turn the page now and find out more.
i am surprised that colette has told him, but of course in that perfect moment of peter's own guilt over the horse i could see how she would feel it was now or never, and i think this spoke more of her love for him that her declaration later. it never occurred to me that what would hurt peter the most was that she had taken rue herself! i was sure he would blame her for mimi, and was touched that he had enough understanding, and such love for the children to empathise with colette on that at least. but it all got so tumbled and confused, how is it that even as we tell the truth things are still not understood? i suppose because we do not want to hear.
i loved di with the children, though wished laurie-lee wasn't asked to be a grown up at that moment (you can take the presbyterian out of the glen...) -but her line, 'it didn't count as tears if no one saw them', was there ever a better description of hidden, endured, silent grief. oh and the stations of the cross, you brought me to my knees then (figurative knees, as i read it while i was supposed to making school lunches)
richard was wonderful here, he really stole the show for me. his calmness, his needing to be sure, how it wasn't the image of his mother that upset him (they have already been letting her go by degrees for years i suppose) but colette.
oh, peter, somehow i admired him more for letting her go. he had been too impulsive to speak like that to her, i know he was raw, but this needed some taking in and recovering from. it is too much, and just like colette i would have fled too. cannot wait for more!
10/15/2014 c21 2Nan of Ingleside
oh no, oh no, oh no...
you had me go from stitches to almost hysterics in such a short time I'm still kind of feeling the ache of it. it's so poignant at first to see the crossroads back, Peter so ridiculously wrong (btw, friendzoned Peter is probably going to stick with me for a while, thanks, Kath! :D) and Di at her best and sharpest (although I did worry still what Peter is going to react when he realizes the extent of his mistake) and then find- because that's what it feels like reading you, almost as if I were there, running after Gyp, Hail Mary and all even if I'm a non-believer- Mimi, or the horse *potential spoiler deleted*... I did NOT see that one coming, even with what you call my ability to devine what you're going to do with the plot. and I'm more worried than ever- for Caro, for Robby and somehow, mostly, for his 'Aurlee'.
and will we be seeing more Mr Harris now, I wonder?
10/13/2014 c21 22katherine-with-a-k
oh thank heaven for the crossword if i didn't have that to think of i think i would have fallen into tears. that hail mary! i had to leave off my review and find it and read it and have since seen images of a weeping, bereft madonna that i cannot shake.

there was some dry humour in the friendzoned peter thinking that the reason for colette's rejection is because of gregory or wanting to be a nun (well it couldn't be him, could it ;o) and di thinking great, now that i finally have a kindred friend you tell me she wants to hide away in a nunnery -i do love the way these two riff off each other.

but then the black dog, the salt, the memory of the cockerel, the sound of the gull, the rimy air and the ave repeated again and again, it was altogether so potent a thing i felt pregnant with it, which suits the madonna tone perfectly actually.

oh the broken horse and mimi, only mentioned once, almost in passing. what to do for the horse when nothing can be done for her. i really thought she was going to take her own life, but i think this is accidental, or at least not done purposely. but where is mr harris? and what is m.b. i think i will be reading the next chapter with my hands over my eyes. all i can think of is robbie. thank you for that hail mary, exquisitely fitted throughout, i am glad that i know of it now.
10/9/2014 c20 katherine-with-a-k
oh this is so beautifully plotted, so wondrously stitched together, i can feel where it is leading yet all i want to do is turn the page and find out more more more. and there is no other page.

goodness me, but when you began this with peter asking plainly 'what are you thinking?' i could not have been more surprised, imagining that the two of them would be dancing around the trestle table for weeks, or else she would never be seen again.

but then just when i was thinking that colette was about to answer truly, she begins those delicate circles -strewing the straw this time (i loved the detail of the way it scratched at her arm, the bleeding, so much like her wounded self, some sort of stigmata that she bears alone. and when peter kissed her there, oh how i wished she would kiss him back). he was so sweetly believable (though i did want to shake him for his reticence) when he attempted a proposal. i wanted to say -just ask her why don't you, be a man and take a chance and ask that terrifying question. but it was his very circular talk that made me realise how much he cares for her, how terrified of frightening her away with just one wrong word. poor peter.

and then he did ask her! surprised yet again! i read over that again and again, and felt so sad and lost for the two of them, him wanting her but not wanting to scare her away with his want, and so trying to look as though he doesn't want as much as he does. and colette, wanting to say yes (i am right there, if she could she would i am sure of that. she never would have given herself to him otherwise) but knowing that he would be marrying a lie, and that she could not do that to him. oh it's all so sad, yet i can't regret what they shared that night. and now mimi is missing... there is too much to take in, and yet so much more to know. and i am fascinated. thank you :o)
10/6/2014 c19 2Nan of Ingleside
it's my busy self again... and whoaaa, I did not see that one coming!
first off, for the details that stand out: I could easily just echo what katherine wrote a while before. there are so many exquisite little things here that it's increasingly difficult to let you know how much I liked them without being accused of plagiarim.
shortly after having my heart broken over Laura Lee and, mostly, Mimi- there you go, taking me on this rollercoaster. I'm slightly worried about Peter finding out- and what would he say, this is so different than Colette's children from before? the scene itself was beautifully done, a mix of good and bad, light and dark, no intervening angels, but the scent of incense. SO good.
could you kindly update quick? before I lose my mind worrying over them both?
56 Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »