for Finding Home

6/12 c32 94Miqila
This was well written. I really loved the fact that for the first few chapters Natsume was MIA and the story focused on Tanuma (and Kitamoto); I'm sure the ankle the story was told from would've been very different had Natsume been there from the start, for Tanuma would've surely relied on him. Having Natsume out of the picture gave Tanuma a chance to shine, which I think is what originally captured my interest in this story. And when Natsume finally DOES rejoin the others, I was too absorbed in the story to care and actually looked forward to their reunions.

I like how you kept the OCs and Tsuji around through the whole story, even if their role shrunk down once they got home. There was a good balance between keeping them around enough that they weren't forgotten, but not so much that it would've felt like the OCs would take over the story.

But speaking of shrinking roles, I would've expected more Hiiragi, Nishimura and Kitamoto through the story. They get a decent amount of attention at the beginning of the story, but then get pushed to the sidelines when more and more characters join in. Natori's other two shiki are understandable since they're in the back row in canon too, but Hiiragi? I would've expected to see more of her, at least see her throw in a comment about Natori's family situation, or meet Natori's family with the help of the circles, or a reunion with her and Natsume ('cause they're close) and perhaps her meeting the Fujiwaras. Honestly, I can imagine her patiently listening to Touko's worries about Takashi, occasionally throwing in comments that make Natsume want to push her out of the circle. When it comes to Kitamoto, guess that's fair game, but I would've hoped a little more focus on Nishimura, the one canon character who seemed to have lost his whole family. I mean, so did Taki, but they were never around in the first place, so paying more attention to Nishimura's situation would've been nice.

I also liked how you threw in canon characters that only appeared once. While I didn't expect either Aoi or Kai to show up, I realized immediately who they were once their names were said. There were the less familiar humans, too.

Personally, I'm really bad at making up any kind of supernatural skills that would work with the canon logic of whatever universe I'm writing them for, so I'm probably not the best judge, but to me the powers you made up for this story made sense.

The one thing that did end up bothering me is how well everyone took the news about youkai existing and actually seeing them. Of course, so many people disappearing suddenly must've given everyone a hint of something supernatural existing, but I would've still expected there to be more of a ruckus after many people learned about youkai.

All in all, I really liked this, it was well written and while it left things open for a possible sequel, it still ended in a way that didn't make it look like it was simply discontinued and marked complete. Well done, and I hope we'll get a sequel some day!
6/7 c23 Miqila
Here I go again, but oh well...

I'm so glad to finally see Natsume and Tanuma reunite. With Nishimura and Taki there too, they only need to meet up with Kitamoto and the gang is complete!

I was honestly scared when Matoba and Tanuma ended up in the same room with each other with the former showing interest in the later. Glad that that didn't escalate, but I doubt we've seen the last of Mr. Eye-patch. And now I worry for Aoi's safety.

I'm just a tiny bit disappointed about this chapter for the facts that we didn't get a reunion between Natsume and Hiiragi AND that we didn't see Nishimura going in to fan mode with Natori appearing. Of course, he had enough sense not to do it at the moment, but when they were out... but speaking of Nishimura, I loved the ending here.
6/3 c12 Miqila
Wasn't gonna comment until I've read the whole thing, but I couldn't resist pointing out how much I love that after Touko compared Matoba to Natsume, Shigeru pretty much went and compared him to a fly. Despite how indirect it was and that it probably wasn't meant that way, it felt like such a perfect way to be passive aggressive lol.

Also not sure if one should love or hate Matoba. On one hand, the whatever-they-are can't get their hands on the Fujiwaras when they're with him, but on the other... Matoba CAN. Not that he'd hurt them, especially when he needs them as a bait/leverage/hostages/whatever, but still... I mean, he did kidnap them without much explaining anything. If the Fujiwaras weren't the way they are, they might've even completely panicked and gotten deeply traumatized from worry... imagine how pissed Natsume would be for THAT.

And poor NATSUME, thinking that all the powerless humans are gone. I really, really hope someone will fix the misunderstanding soon. Will Sasago (or wait, did Natori sen Urihime? I always mix those two up) be there? Did Matoba leave a note? ...Well of course he did, or at least, he better have.
3/28 c32 lilrose88
This is an amazing story! I've just started to watch the anime a week ago and find this story very real and possible. Thank you for writing this!
8/18/2019 c32 5Viridian
And it has ended. What an incredible story! I love what you did with all the characters, and how you’ve managed to put most of them in a better place than before, somehow, even with the world collapsing around them. Thank you for writing this story, and I hope perhaps one day the world of Natsume and his friends will inspire you to write more stories.
8/18/2019 c27 Viridian
For story with such dark implications, it manages to carry the heart-warming tones of a great many Natsume Yuujinchou stories. The overarching plot is never forgotten, but neither are the little moments that bring people and youkai together. For bringing together strands of stories left at bittersweet endings by the canon storyline in such gentle and masterful ways, you have my thanks.
8/18/2019 c26 Viridian
And a small journey of self-discovery for Natori as well. I appreciate how you’ve spent time on so many of the characters, fleshing out their inner world and how they feel about their place in this new post apocalyptic world.
8/18/2019 c25 Viridian
Ah, poor Natsume. Now that Tanuma has passed his trial by fire and has found some sort of place for himself in the new world order, Natsume’s left feeling like an outsider looking in. I hope he will het his own way to contribute-with his level of strength, it would be too great a pity to let it go to waste.
8/18/2019 c24 Viridian
A different sort of chapter from the last, but one that hits the spot just the same. Tanuma and Natsume having a heart-to-heart, trying to cross the barrier of their own insecurities and fears, and coming out the other side so much the better for it.
8/18/2019 c23 Viridian
So ... beautiful! So perfect! It must have been a hard chapter to write, with everyone’s expectations building up for this moment. I loved how Tanuma burst in and all these strange connections started to emerge, and then even Natori showed up! And the olive branch between Kai and Natori at the end was a wonderful way to tend the chapter.

Also, it is very interesting that in this new world order, previously powerful people like Matoba and Natsume may have less of an impact that Tanuma and Yoshida. Although I have no doubt that they will be able to learn to separate their powers eventually.
8/17/2019 c12 Viridian
Natsume is collecting youkai friends as he goes! I’m feeling more and more hopeful. And I’m so glad that it is Kai-the scene really gives a sense of closure to the original storyline.
8/17/2019 c9 Viridian
Ooooh , the fox child! I think I must be as moved to see him as Natsume. Natsume has is own brand of courage, but I am so glad he has found some company for the lonely journey ahead.
8/17/2019 c8 Viridian
Nooooooooo!Furuya! For a character I didn’t know beforehand, I’d gotten so attached to him. He was a great guy and a great leader. Tanuma has his own brand of wondrous courage, and I’m so glad to see him getting the support of his friends whenever he starts to buckle under the weight of his self-imposed responsibilities. As always, you’re doing such an excellent job of portraying each character-I love them all, and I hope there will be no more losses as they travel back home.

And Natsume, hurry up!
8/17/2019 c6 Viridian
I really liked how Natori was portrayed here. And him connecting with Tanuma and Taki was great. In times like this where people are being torn apart and unable to communicate, every new linkage is like a ray of light. And the weight that Tanuma has to carry all by himself comes across even more strongly.
8/17/2019 c4 Viridian
Hahah. Yes, he should have asked for directions indeed!

But I am so relieved to see Natsume safe. I hope to see him back with his friends soon, and help them resolve?deal? with the current crisis.
235 Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »