FanFiction.Net
for Contemplations

1/2/2015 c1 32Kuneko
Oh man, this was just fantastic. Such a rarely explored side of HM, but such an interesting one, and I loved your take on it. My kingdom for more fics about HM religion/spirituality! The different perspectives were interesting and things we don't usually get from the characters in game, but each of their reactions makes sense, and Gill's was especially a creative, slightly heartbreaking twist on his backstory. I just wish this had been longer so we could have gotten around to seeing the mindsets of more villagers, but the ones you included were great.

That last bit of worldbuilding with the Harvest King was brilliant, and I like how you tied that in with Mineral Town's Kappa - that was a neat little connection. Also, the way each part flowed into the next made this a really fun and seamless read! So good. Your works are always a treat to read for any HM fan, and that's without a doubt because you treat the world/characters so realistically and come up with all these great connections and details.
9/17/2014 c1 1ManitaMuerte
I loved this! I especially loved the part with Gill, even though he's not one of my favorite characters. I think it gave him a sense of realism, to be honest; hypocritical religious persecution is something that I can identify with personally.

Beautifully written. So much story packed into a small amount of words. That's talent.
7/31/2014 c1 13AshRB
First of all, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for calling Castanet a peninsula! I think people somehow got Castanet confused with Waffle Island since the games were released so close together or people try to combine the too. Either way, seeing Castanet called an island is something that irks me (although its so widespread a mistake, it's practically fanon at this point so I don't point it out) and it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who knows that its part of a greater landmass. :D

Now on to the story itself. This. Was. Fantastic. You handled the sensitive subject matter of religion very gracefully. (Much better then I'm doing in my current WIP, that's for sure.) Every character's reaction to Perry's sermon was realistic. My favorite was Gil's. It was nice to see his childhood ability touched upon, even if he was wrongly punished because of it. The nod to the valley was nice too, as sometimes people forget that the HK was in the opening of Cute as well.

Thank you for writing this!
7/31/2014 c1 35Cotton Candy Mareep
Wow, where to begin...

I liked your take on the Harvest Goddess religion practiced in Harvest Moon, and how Angela helped Perry to try and incorporate it back into the lives of many of the villagers after saving the island, despite skepticism from some. Especially her emphasis on the The more spiritual part of the game is often overlooked, it seems. But this story is a nice addition to the original plotline of Animal Parade, and fits into that story very well. The name for this fic, ‘Contemplations’, makes perfect sense, because it includes the contemplations of a variety of characters – Perry, Jin, Gill, the Harvest King, Angela, etc. and their feelings toward the situation.

But I think my favorite part was that small bit near the end about the marriage between Kappa and Claire, and how the villagers merely presumed she had an affair with Carter. I thought that was a very interesting detail to include; it definitely caught my interest, at least. And I also loved the ending, with the short exchange between Angela and Finn.

Great job on this oneshot! I’ve never seen a story quite like this in the fandom before, which is a good thing, as it was unique and you handled the topic very well. :)

-Cotton Candy Mareep
7/28/2014 c1 37SweetieLove
What a refreshing story! It definitely puts a lot of things in perspective.

I have to praise on how you handled the subject matter and the method you used on you were going to narrate it. While the topics may have shifted in various parts of the religion spectrum, the story never broke flow and there was never a sense of awkwardness while reading it.

And the characters! This has to be one of the most realistic take on the island in a while. They ranged from religiously devout to faithful to neutral to "meh" to skeptical. I especially loved the last line Angela said at the end of the story since it could be interpreted into so many ways.

What can I say? This is going to my favorites as well. Hope you have (or had) a great Summer
7/26/2014 c1 30Iseki
Oh wow, Halidom, that was completely awesome. Please prepare for my text brick!

Firstly, I am so glad that you chose to write something like this and further more that you enjoyed it! Where do I even begin. There were so many conflicting emotions and characters that I really did get the feeling of community here as well as the fact that they all have their own story to tell. My favourite piece of insight has to have been Jin's part. I really love how you worded his accepting skepticism. Of course it couldn't be any other way for a doctor of his caliber. And the fact that you showed his wife as the devout was such a lovely touch too. That take on Gill's vision of the sprites was unexpected but so delicious! It actually gives him some really good fuel for angst, and I appreciate how you've managed to build upon this make-believe religion into something so long-standing and sometimes oppressive. Then we have the the King. I've fallen head over heels with the idea that he can only live so long as his worshipers are worshiping. I also love that his love is uncertain and possibly unrequited, somehow this sheds light on Angela's strength of purpose rather than mixed feelings of romance. Just that final hint that she might reciprocate was enough to satisfy... So yeah, I really love this. It's such a fantastic combination of so many different and very human feelings, all presented neatly within this unique mythology. The title itself invokes the exact right emotion. This is contemplation.
7/25/2014 c1 28therainydaykids
I really enjoyed this - you managed to convey a lot of emotion from a lot of characters in a short space of time without losing flow. The spiritual side of Harvest Moon is so iconic (the HG, sprites etc) but is often overlooked and I think you did an excellent job exploring that idea. I think your SS will be extremely thrilled. I also loooved the ending and the subtle way the last line paired The Harvest King with Angela.
7/25/2014 c1 12NarwhaleNapper
Hm. An interesting take on Harvest Moon. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in this fandom, but its always nice to see something new. Puts a lot of perspective in, like how their religion may work, how the Harvest King and Goddess and sprites affect the people as they affect the deities.

I'm sure this must've been challenging to write, but I think you pulled it off well. Great job, and thanks for writing and sharing this with us!