for Quiet Contentment - A McRoll in the REAL World Story

4/7/2015 c1 8srhittson
That was so adorable.
9/22/2014 c1 4CelicaChick
This was so sweet and tender. Loved how you wove A reminder of their old navy lives in the story.
8/23/2014 c1 50xIAmAlsoAWe
I. Loved. This.
8/22/2014 c1 294sammy1026
This is, quite simply, one of the most BEAUTIFULLY written fics I have ever read. It is absolute emotional powerhouse. The imagery and descriptions are STUNNING. The actions are so soft and so simple but the story they tell is BREATHTAKING!

"I was rereading." "I discover new layers every time." ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

LOVE that he knows the second she wakes up by the changes in her breathing.

I am in awe of the choice you made to illustrate how the ritual is different this time-that this is the first time he didn't stop when she woke up and it hadn't lead to sex. PERFECTION!

He could open his eyes anytime and see her there. Exactly where she belonged.

THUD. I am on the floor melting into a puddle of goo.

I may occasionally overuse this phrase (LOL) but this is truly the awesomest awesome that ever awesomed.
8/20/2014 c1 Guest
Thanks for a great story. I saw you had a new story...Nesting, but cannot get it on my iPad. It did come up on my iPhone though. Just thought I'd let you know. Again, thank you for such wonderful stories!
8/19/2014 c1 Angela
Love them! So unhappy that they are no longer a couple on the show and that they are giving him a new love interest. They were perfect for each other.
8/18/2014 c1 Wanda
Just got around to reading what I must say was a very sweet enjoyable story. Loved it.
8/18/2014 c1 322ilna
This, without a doubt, ranks as one of the most beautiful, honest, poignant, and insightful stories I've ever read. I still remember being stunned by the beauty of this piece the first time I read it and I am similarly affected with each subsequent reading as I find more and more to admire.

First, stylistically, it is gorgeously written. The pacing of the writing perfectly matches the deliberate and thoughtful pace of the story in a way I've rarely seen.

Second, beautifully described. You put the reader right there with Catherine in the first section. Gives me goosebumps in the best possible way.

Third, the absolutely phenomenal idea of Steve memorizing Catherine in the early morning. That idea is absolutely masterful. His words and her understanding are so exquisitely crafted here. So honest and beautiful.

That first section itself is incredible, and then you pair it with your absolutely amazing insights into Steve's character in the second section and turn this story into an unequivocal masterpiece.

That this wasn't the first time he'd "memorized" her, but it was the first time he'd continued after she woke and that it hadn't led to sex. His thoughts on how those times had been different because of the different circumstances and their fleeing time together.

"He'd known where she was every time he closed his eyes. Next to him. Where she should be."

Then the most striking part of this story - that when she asked what he was doing he admitted it freely rather than hedging away from the subject or distracting her with a kiss. That speaks incredible volumes for the state of their relationship. They are in a place now where they can make these admissions without them being tinged with sadness and it is such a perfectly in-character admission which makes it all the more beautiful to read.

And finally the beautiful ending, wrapped together, Steve able to let himself go to sleep because he wasn't limited to minutes or hours with her. "He could open his eyes anytime and see her there. Exactly where she belonged." Gorgeous in both the sentiment expressed and the wonderful writing.

This is, quite simply, stunning. Bubblegum levels of stunning, my friend. Through this whole piece you have shown such an incredible insight into the characters and the relationship. I can't count how many times I've read this and I'm not going to even try to predict how many times I will read it in the future. It is absolutely, undeniably one of the best stories I have ever had the pleasure, joy, and privilege to read.

Thank you for this.
8/16/2014 c1 alharpole
The quiet peace that comes over your heart when you realize that you are exactly where you need to be and with the person you are meant to be with. This was a beautiful story. Thank you!
8/16/2014 c1 14katydid13
This was just perfect in the devotion, love, and trust shown. This felt very real.
8/16/2014 c1 12FicreaderT
This was so simple and so... Amazing. Very, very well done - a real pleasure to read and one of my new favs!
8/15/2014 c1 3ForestBornNinjaGirl
Aww this was so sweet :) really simple, to the point, beautiful, poetic, romantic. Everything! Loved it! Can't say it any better :)
8/15/2014 c1 Guest
That was precious!
8/15/2014 c1 St
What a beautiful story...they have such a special relationship. It makes my heart melt! :0) Always enjoy the McRoll stories and look forward to them each and every day! Thank you!
8/15/2014 c1 MnemosyneMorrigan
This is so beautiful. Sometimes the shortest and simplest stories are the best, bearing the strongest of emotions.

The delicacy and hushed atmosphere made my heart flutter while I read it, each word embroided with meaningful depth, just like every touch of Steve's fingertips over Cath's body.

And however the connection and intimacy between them is so beautifully written here, I personally am in great awe of the way you softly, but distinctively portrayed... Steve's vulnerability. He's so open and fragile here. Even though the hard deployments are a past, but the memory and scars are still in him. Also their job at Five 0 can bring a lot of pain and danger too, leaving some emotional and psychological bruises of their own. It's so great to be able to read about this side of Steve, especially described in such a unique way.

This paints a very vivid, though delicate portrait of Catherine being Steve's anchor. It might seem that with their lives now so stable and solid, neither of them needs this kind of "memorizing" and comfort, but it's not true. Sometimes you don't even need anything drastic to happen to feel the need to be close to someone, to make sure they are within your reach and their presence calms you down. And what's even more significant is that Cath snuggles close to him, a simple and very natural gesture of pure closeness, but also a sign that Steve anchors her too.

suddenly it reminds me of something silly, though cute - a pair of otters, who always hold hands (paws) when sleeping so the other won't drift away... :))
30 Page 1 2 Next »