for Diavel's Advocacy

6/1/2018 c1 1PrincessArien
Is this intended to only be a one-shot, or are we going full-blown, multi-chaptered AU here with Diavel surviving his prescribed fate? I ask because I noticed this wasn't marked as complete, and the ending was open-ended enough that it felt like it *might* potentially continue. In any case though, this was a real good read (as to be expected of you, you always deliver high-quality work), Diavel is always interesting to see people's takes on, and like all of the SAO characters one with interesting potential.
8/22/2016 c1 Guest
This is a great story and I wish more people would read it haha
9/21/2015 c1 2PureBlank
I've got to give it to Catsy, you created a truly beautiful story from almost nothing. I cannot praise you enough for this, as none of it is cliche or predictable (beyond the required parts for it to make sense). Good job, this is a masterpiece.
9/20/2015 c1 1Magyk of Fyre
I throughly enjoyed this headcannon backstory of Diavel's life.

I guess you haven't continued it because we all know what happens next, but if you do ever decide to continue then I would definitely enjoy reading the story from his perspective again.
5/7/2015 c1 Mega Mario 6
I have to admit this is one great story and ties nicely with SAO...

...Within reason anyway. I have a hard time reconciling this blooded cop with the character that would charge in and try to steal the last attack bonus from the players he is supposed to be inspiring. Though considering that Diabel did refuse to drink that health potion in shame, you could make the argument that he was simply caught up in the moment, but that still doesn't really mesh with the cop persona as he is both trained to react under fire and is a beta tester with plenty of previous experience with operations of that scale.

All in all, I really liked the story and I'll probably be back in a few months to read it again. In fact, I'm adding the story to favorites just incase you decide to post another chapter.
10/17/2014 c1 Guest
Hi love the story, and can't wait for more. I think you made an error with your title, shouldn't it be Diavel's Advocate like devil's advocate?
10/16/2014 c1 Guest
oh man, I can't wait for more of this. Will this become AU and have diavel survive? which could be interesting to see what changes he would cause. Even if he doesn't make it past Ilsfang I'm still looking forward to whats next.
10/14/2014 c1 3skywiseskychan
Now this is good. I really hope to see it continue and grow, and of course I hope he doesn't end up dead so soon.
10/13/2014 c1 Guest
Hi love the new story and hope to see you keep diavel alive for more than the first floor, or if you just show us whats going on in aincrad for that first month, I think it would be really cool to see how he established himself enough for people to follow him in only three weeks.
10/10/2014 c1 47reality deviant
this is a very good snip it did wonders to the character of Diavel.
10/9/2014 c1 20Muphrid
Isn't SDF viewed as a rather inferior career choice? That's the impression I had, anyway.

Two minutes to get onto portable power? Is that how it was? Well, with Kayaba giving them instructions, I suppose that's fine.

I feel like the attack on Naide lacks buildup, perhaps? There are only a couple hints that the woman's really not all together there. Or it might be that we're not really invested in Naide at this point, so his death lacks emotional punch. As an intellectual statement on how rage and anger can become misdirected, I do appreciate what happens here. It just seems sudden-and, alas, not in the shocking or attention-grabbing way.

What about the man's family? Parents? They have been mentioned, at least. Though I can see he's not so close to them that that's a big big issue. But Diavel's just...kinda doing this. Without a reason to hesitate, there is nothing really meaningful in his choice to go forward.

Right now, I think this piece runs almost entirely on the strength of the premise: a strong premise, no doubt, but I find Diavel's characterization a bit thin. Well, I should say that he has the earmarks of a good cop, in that he feels a sense of responsibility and duty and all of that. Bits at the start about how he didn't like his own name and how "Diavel" as a moniker came about-they give him personality, yes, but I still feel his decision to go ahead into the game is quite understated. I don't get enough of a sense that it is a turning point in his mindset, nor a fatal flaw in his thinking that demands redress. It simply is. I find that troubling. Knowing his fate, I think the story lends itself to a tragedy, and yet I cannot quite grasp what is tragic about this character-unless, perhaps, that he seems to go forward and accept responsibility and duty so unquestioningly.
10/9/2014 c1 urs-v
Wow! Sincerly, wow!
I think I already told you so a few time now, but I really enjoy how you write, you are very good when it come to create an ambiance that fit and support the action. Your balance of description/action/dialogue is very good and there is few to no mistake.

You are very good at using the canon to make your story plausible, even in an AU (FDD and the midle man) and you have good idea.

Sure, as soon as I read the summary I could guess what would happen, but it's like looking at a beautiful painting that you know the title of. Sure, you know what it represent, but it still a fully enjoyable experience to discover how the artist represented the scene and to see the little detail there and there.

And well, after reading a few SI OC story last month, I started to think about how I would react to being in SAO.
And my first tougth (after "I'm not japanese, don't speak japanese except a few word from manga/anime and judo") was "Kayaba would freak out that someone who know is plot is in game"
Then as I love to find solution to problem I had this very same reasonment you had: he would need someone to motivate the players in following the scenario. So I could try and strike a deal similar to the one you just described beetween Diabel and Kayaba, the "If you talk you and the one you told will all die".
I just found it funny that we both anticiped the same kind of reaction from Kayaba to similar situation.
10/8/2014 c1 23ThisIsTheGreatestUsername
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I can never see Diavel the same ever again.

Is this a one shot or multi-chapters?

The thing that stood out most to me, is your presentation of Kikouka. The way he talks, the mysterious factor, all that seriously sent the chills up my spine when reading the scene where he and Diavel were talking.

I also like Kayaba, merciless and direct, but yet still persistant in his goal of wanting people to experience the world that he has created (unlike in canon where he goes Humpty Dumpty and forgets his own name)

But I guess my only criticism of this story is I didn't really see the importance of Naide to Diavel. Sure I mean it was implied that he was very important to him, but I would say that it wasn't implied enough. But I might be wrong on this as this is just my opinion. Still though, I find that Naide death as written extremely well. Bravo!

Overall, this is certainly one of the best if not the best fanfic that I have read.