for Casting Stones

3/13/2015 c1 8Firebird Scratches
Beautiful. Sad, and beautiful and so well written.
3/3/2015 c1 TOS.STFan
Knock, knock...whose there?

ME!

I think you were gone from the chatroom last night when I revealed that I have accumulated around 10 accounts over the 14 years I've been a member. This is one of my accounts. Had it for 10 years.

Anyway, on to the review.

You have a wonderful, beautiful way with words. It's incredible. When I want to write, I always want to strive to your level and standard of writing.

You have a way of bringing out a person's true feelings. To really get to the crux of the issues, problems and situations. It's like you took a masters in psychology. :-D Of course, I imagine being a teacher helps too.

You have risen the bar of writing and I hope that more people when they see your stories would want to strive to be better.

Indeed, there are different styles; but still, I feel your story somehow rises the bar for all styles of writing. But that's just me.

Your dialogues were clear. I had no problem knowing who was speaking. Beautiful conversation between the two and getting into who they are and what they are truly feeling. Loved that you included Shadow there by the way. :-D

Until next time!
1/18/2015 c1 7BelatedBeliever1127
Wow, Nov! This is so good! This was beautifully written and so sad. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to read more of your work!
11/29/2014 c1 1Ms Sihlo
It was a really great piece, especially since I read it almost immediately after watching the Speed Demon episode with Don and Casey getting all buddy-buddy at the end. It just made it all the more better/worse.
11/29/2014 c1 8ShamrockClover
You're amazing.
11/26/2014 c1 4Jay Jones
Well, I guess, from April and Donnie's reactions, one is only as good as one's last game - which answers your question: does one stoopid/bad decision taints all of a person's good deeds? Casey took a risk, which - sidebar - implies that, like Don and April (and Raph), he wasn't too happy being himself, either; but unlike D and A, Case railed against status quo and tried to reconnect with himself.

The thing about Casey's risk is that it was lethal - no chance for redemption there. Sad face, Casey Jones. Sad face. So, despite all the world-saving, Casey's life is capped by people being mad and disappointed by his choices. I feel that there may be an intriguing backstory here - why would Raph and Casey secretly go do this sh*t with so much on the line? *Especially* when Don explains to April how he learned to trust the scrappy human with all of their lives. Was Casey acting to protect those he loves, with Raph as backup? Raph's largely out for the count: what might he be able to explain about why they both went out that night? Or maybe it *was* just a stupid choice. And there we go, back to people thinking Casey was a selfish git despite all the love he showed April, Shadow and the Turtles. What's the moral? Play it safe and be miserable? Go for what you want and hang the cost? Is there something in between?

Lastly, as always, your prose are delectable and enviable and unexpected (in all the best ways): I loved the imagery of Don as sinew and armour, humming with power...and you *know* I'm gonna teef "polished mahogany" to describe Donnie's peepers - what a perfect simile! Also, I really liked this new style you tried! More please! More, more, more! XD Beautifully done, Nov!
11/25/2014 c1 82SleepingSeeker
First...wow that opening quote. I'm a fan of Steinbeck and that was beautiful and terribly foreboding. I think it was such an excellent way to begin. But you know I'm partial to quotes, especially well-chosen ones!

I thought your decision to leave it on the surface, to keep us, as readers, distanced was an interesting choice. I can see how you wanted to keep the readers on the 'outside' of everything happening - and a lot was happening under the surface between these two characters. Everything said and left unsaid. I think the starkness lends to the setting; like standing in a graveyard, you have no answers, not anymore. There is only you and everything you don't understand left to linger. Forever. Bleak, but true.

Death is the finality that we cannot escape or deny. And when loved ones and friends leave us behind, aside from the memories, we really have nothing. Nothing at all. Having coming off losing my husband's mom last year, I'm still raw and so this knocked on several of my emotional buttons.

Donatello doesn't understand, he probably won't ever. But maybe, through Raph, he may come to see that we are all lonely. All of us, children. Grappling in the dark for answers and substance to fill the aching hollow, carved out of us for any number of reasons. And though April wasn't enough to fill that, and Donatello can't understand why she wasn't enough, because she WOULD have been enough for him; the fact remains that for Arnold Casey Jones, his heart remained wounded and bleeding.

I adore Casey. I really do. I think he's very misunderstood. And WAY before IDW suggested an abusive father - aiming for no spoilers here, but yeah. Anyway, long before that, I always felt certain that Casey had a dark past.

Now, some people think that if you come from an abusive home there's some kind of marker that indicates you're not 'normal', heh. When the opposite is true, you absolute seem perfectly fine - because those scars are INTERNAL. And you ACT OUT based on the amount of pain those scars are inflicting, still, on you and your psyche. I feel that this explains Casey's need to make the gangs stop. To bring an end to the Purple Dragons terrorizing the city. And yes, even to avenge his father's death, because another thing is people don't seem to want to believe that you can still love your parents deeply and dearly despite them abusing you. It's just the nature of parent/child relationships.

Well, I enjoyed this piece, Novus. As you can see it hit me a number of ways and I'm glad you shared with us! Keep up the great work! xo
11/25/2014 c1 32Syntyche
You did a really great job with this fic! I'm new to the genre and have been amazed by some of the well-written stories here; thank you for posting this one, it's sad and deep and dark with perfectly rendered undertones of frustration and disbelief. I look forward to seeing what else you've written.
11/24/2014 c1 6Poetique823
*Gasp* You have just severed my heartstrings, Nov! lol. No, but seriously this was beautifully written. I love the creative twist of seeing Donnie long for the things he will never have, but to see those desire so starkly at Casey's grave site is heart-wrenching. I love it. Excellent just like the rest of your stories. :)
11/24/2014 c1 19Lexifer666
I find it really interesting the roundabout way you point out that all Donatello ever wanted was to settle down and have a family, be loved and have a normal life. Then you have Casey, who died in order to relive what he thought were his glory days...the excitement of fighting with the turtles, who, as Don points out, only did so because they really didn't know anything else. I get the sense that Donnie would also risk death for a chance to experience the life he wanted. It kind of ties him and Casey together in a weird way, and I really like how you point out that they earned each others respect over time and became friends, even if they weren't the best of pals.

Now I'm gonna go find Raph in this AU of yours in my head and give him some snuggles, the poor idiot. He should have known better, probably did (probably they both did), but went out and did it anyway, and he'll never really get over that guilt.
11/24/2014 c1 11Terraform
I've read through this several times already and the line that slays me: "What could he have thought he was missing?"
Damn. Cue the heart crushing. That is some heavy artillery you're writing with. The dialogue style works wonders- I was right there listening to these intensely personal confessions of choices and consequences and obligations and reality, and felt the intense weight upon Donnie press down on me. Selfishly, I wanted that end to be open for the better. I hope it isn't a wish in vain.

Aside from the brilliant dialogue, vividly morose setting, and powerful story, I also quite enjoyed the brief glimpse into Raphael's struggle with their life. The injured hand over a smashed reflection says it all. The differences in how Donatello and Raphael both deal with their burdens is beautifully on the mark. Casey's death seems to be the catalyst for Donatello to question his whole structure of intent because Casey, a man who he begrudgingly regrets, throws away everything for what? A chance to go vigilante one random night? That Casey should be given everything and a then make a reckless decision that forever hurts the ones Donnie holds so dear is a true tragedy.

Congrats on this fic, it's perfectly stunning. Lightning in a jar. Another Novus heart killer.
11/24/2014 c1 nertz
lol are you fucking kidding me
11/24/2014 c1 203BubblyShell22
Awesome story, Novus. Yes, I can see this happening and Donnie wishing that he was someone else so he could love April as he should, but he can't. And even in the wake of Casey's death, I can't see Don wanting to try and replace him no matter what because he knows how much Casey has meant to April through the years. I can still see his pain here though for her and for himself, and I do think he's picturing what it would have been like if he'd been the one who was killed in battle and how that would make April feel. Nicely done on this as always.

The Bubbly One,
Shell
11/24/2014 c1 26SewerSurfin
This was amazing. Absolutely heart wrenching and beautiful in the same piece. You set the scene of the graveyard so clearly, and Donnie and April were so well written here. This definitely got me thinking about their unsaid reasons for being there. And I caught the Mirage comics reference. I as always look forward to more of your work!