for Nightmare

4/30/2020 c1 Leader Dessler
Let us just pretend that this - has - never - happened ... *ROTFL*
4/14/2019 c1 Suvon
Sorry. Forgot to include my name in the review I just sent.

A further note-I've been trying to get my niece to read the Chronicles of Prydain. I think she said she'd read BoT and liked it. Maybe we can partner read some of the rest together.
4/14/2019 c1 Guest
Thanks for your nice note, CompanionWanderer.
I always enjoy your takes on Eilonwy. They are spot-on.
I think I read somewhere that Lloyd Alexander had actually seen the animated film of The Black Cauldron, but said that it was nothing like his books. I think I also remember writing him in about 1983 and telling him of the rumor that Disney was planning a movie and what he thought of that. He replied with something to the effect that he hoped that it would get people reading the Prydain books even if they weren't anything like the movie. Dear man. I still miss him.
Anyway, I hope this comment gets to you. As usual, I find NOTHING wrong with your grammar, which is quite refreshing in this day and age. I am quite old, and that means I am old school. This weekend I plan to see my niece, and maybe she can help me get signed up on fanfiction. I don't know if I will ever be able to write any of my own about Prydain. I was too close in age to Taran and Eilonwy when the books actually came out. I would never have presumed to write anything about Mr. A's characters. Although I started writing a poem once from Eilonwy's POV when she was at Dinas Rhydnant. It was set in winter. I am glad I'm not the only person who ever had a crush on Taran. Back then I thought there was something terribly wrong with me.
7/9/2018 c1 AccountKiller101010101010101
I love both versions, but the books more. Don't get me started on the witches in the film. I swear Disney has a hidden message in that scene. Lloyd would be horrified if he saw that. This one-shot made me chuckle a little, though. Good story!
7/4/2017 c1 2Mantis FA
Hilarious. And I see what you mean about book!Eilonwy's blindness to her character flaws; her dialogue in the book is nowhere near as bad as in the film, of course, but she *did* initially come across to Taran as kind of an obnoxious twit with a keen eye for the obvious.

I had already read the books when I went to see this movie on it's initial release, so of course I hated it. I didn't *quite* walk out before the end (I did do that with the 1967 version of "The Jungle Book" - I was born in '74, but Disney had a habit of rereleasing their animated films every so often, and IIRC they did it with the Jungle Book for its fifteenth anniversary in '82), but I had nothing remotely nice to say about anything in it afterward. Between those two movies and the annoying, whiny voice of their Winnie the Pooh (whose voice is explicitly described at least once in most of the stories as being "gruff and growly"), I never had much use for Disney animation until their renaissance in the nineties, and I still don't like to see them do the adaptation of any story I really care about - they seem incapable of respecting their source material if it has the least shred of nuance.
1/3/2016 c1 BookDragon5
This scenario was very well written and humorous, one i wouldn't mind seeing in other fandoms.
I tried watching the movie myself, but dropped it about halfway through because I found it was a little... ehhhh~. :-/
11/20/2015 c1 26crankyman7
I burst out laughing at this.

Absolutely brilliant.
7/25/2015 c1 1Darkwood Princess
This is perfect. It literally says everything I've had issues with about this movie. As a kid, The Black Cauldron movie terrified me. I couldn't take the grimness I guess. The funny thing was that I had an amazing teacher who had us read The High King (and I think either the Black Cauldron or the Book of Three) and I was hooked on Prydain evermore. However, I remember not putting the dots together that these were the same universe until much later. I love the movie now, but on it's own, as sort of the parallel universe your Eilonwy decided it was. Though I can never make it through the movie without complaining at least once that Fflewddur is not an ancient idiot and that Spiral Castle does not belong to the Horned King. Recently I've been rereading the series, and the differences are markedly noticeable between the movie and the books.

Ugh, don't even get me started on Orddu, Orgoch, and Orwen (spelling?)

Anyways, I loved the little character bits. The fact that Eilonwy would never introduce herself as a Princess, at least to begin with (I can't remember if she does later or not), and that Taran would never leave a companion behind, are great insights.

All in all, a great story!
5/2/2015 c1 2TheCacklingCactus
I read this like, two weeks ago and just now got around to reviewing due to real life going on. XD I'm sorry it's late.
First off, just let me say you pretty much penned everything I disliked about the movie and characters in general with this little piece. XD Even for someone who hasn't read the books (which I haven't been able to as of yet and my two friends insist I do so as soon as remotely possible) I got so mad and annoyed at the characters I would readily throw them all over a cliff without any remorse. Except maybe poor Fflewddur. XD I could shoot nearly every single one of the script-writers for making such crummy dialogue. The characters are idiots. (save the Horned King, he's the only good thing /about/ that movie in my opinion. Lol)
I laughed so hard through this, oh my gosh...especially that "Was it murder or suicide," line. Bahahahaha! Thank you so much for writing this. XD
4/24/2015 c1 40Brievel
I've read the books, never seen the movie. Best friend has seen the movie, never read the books. xD And oh, how I died when "Was it murder, or suicide, if you killed your counterpart in some other strange magical dimension?" xD
4/24/2015 c1 38Crescent Moon Dancer
*Cheers wildly* Ohhhh gosh, this was perfect! Perfect! My best friend has watched the movie and is writing a fanfiction about it, (even though she doesn't really like it, she just likes the Horned King,) and while the story is unbelievably amazing, some parts of it that the movie influenced really make me livid. (She *needs* to read the books.) I've never seen the movie and have less than no desire to, but I've gathered bits and pieces about it, and this story here...brilliant. Just brilliant. I loved it so much.
4/13/2015 c1 Joanie P
LOLOLOL! Now it all makes sense...so THAT'S who was behind that horrible movie! If this is how you rant, then please: rant on!
4/8/2015 c1 55Transformers 0
Well, I love Disney's movie version more becausse I like the fact that Fflewdurr is a comical old man and that Taran can draw Dyrnwyn immediately.

But oh well, to each his own.

This was a good fanfic. Not to the movie fans - movie fans (myself included) will hate this.
But book fans will love it.
3/30/2015 c1 72Belfast Docks
Oh, bravo, quite perfect! The Disney film prompted me to read the novels actually, and now I rather hate it, lol. Fflewdur was horrid (I know I spelled his name wrong but I'm on my phone and it's past my bedtime! The older I get the more sleep I need!) and I hate him in the film.
3/30/2015 c1 25adaon45
Oh my gosh, how perfectly inspired. Talk about nightmares: I've never been able to watch the "abomination," and I am cringing as much as the Real Eilonwy at the horrors. Taran takes Dyrnwyn from the dead king? And he can draw the darn thing out of its scabbard right away? Taran and Eilonwy leave Fflewddur behind? I could go on and on, but Great Belin, how completely dreadful. Oh, and let's not forget Fat Fflewddur. Every time I thought I was getting myself geared up to see the thing, once it came out on video, I would just think of what they did to Fflewddur-whom I love!-and I would realize I just couldn't go through with it. This isn't a reaction to characters being a bit on the heavy side; what revolts me is the erasure of Fflewddur's lank, skinny build, so much a part of who he is in the series, and so physically evocative of his creator.

So many delightful bits here-I love the "elegant lift of one sculpted eyebrow" on Achren's part. What a way to torture poor Eilonwy at Caer Colur. Worse than just about anything else I can think of.

"She was masterful at inanely stating the obvious, this creature." Perfect. Again, what a great idea.