for Slow Burn

8/12/2019 c1 1ShiningPaths
This was a great insight into one of my favorite movie characters. You've portrayed Anger's inner conflicts and thoughts perfectly here. It makes sense for his favorite memory to be one where Riley uses her anger to triumph and manage a victory in hockey because it shows how useful anger can be in the right situations when its controlled.

Another thing I like about this story is that it makes it clear that Anger only does what he does out of love for Riley. He wants life to be easy and fair for her. He respects Joy as the lead emotion, but he also feels like she's not fully equipped to deal with the changes San Francisco has brought.
4/28/2018 c1 7Joshua's Tall Tales
Shockingly deep and introspective for such a minor abstract character
11/15/2015 c1 93Luna Rapunzel
I thought you did a great job characterizing Anger in this piece. I really appreciated the digression on Anger's conception of happiness and his understanding of it primarily as the absence of injustice, which I thought worked well with who Anger is and the role he plays in Riley's life in ensuring that things are fair. He made a great point when acknowledging that Riley's parents were burdening Riley with their problems when she already had problems of her own - that wasn't something I thought about when watching the movie before, but it'll be on my radar from now on. You also had some nice insights about anger making Riley strong, like in Anger's favorite hockey memory or as you have it literally symbolized in Anger's stocky build. (It was actually really cool what you did with Anger's appearance tying into how he manifests, like with his short height indicating that Riley's bursts of anger were often short.) Nice job with foreshadowing Anger's increased role to Riley at the end, too.

A couple of other favorite moments: I really liked that you had Anger feeling that something bad was coming on and Fear and Disgust both expressing similar feelings to Anger unique to their personalities. I was also glad to see Anger recognizing in the narrative how much Joy takes her job and her importance to Riley for granted. Well done!
9/26/2015 c1 15BlueJay026
Awesome story! It flowed together very well, and you did a great job characterizing Anger! Your descriptions of his thoughts and the actions were great, and I like how he had a favorite memory of Riley. Very true, Joy isn't the only Emotion with favorite memories. That makes me wonder what the other Emotions' favorite memories are...
Awesome job! Write more stories! God bless you!
7/6/2015 c1 DnBeanie
A story focused on Anger? Count me in. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
7/6/2015 c1 13a-MAXiMINalist
This is a concise introspection into Anger's thoughts and his desire to bring Riley the justice he feels she deserves. He understands the necessity of aggression in occasion. By having him "present" for the pivotal signature scene where Joy replays the intimate memory on the lake at Riley's hometown, we learn loads from him and it provides a compelling counterpoint to the simplicity of Joy's solo scene. Juxtaposition at its finest.

Now there's some creative idea you came up with: the idea that the Emotions do have their own personal memory projections.

I love how you tap into his visual psychology. Burning up so that he knows he's passionate and strong, yet short that he's conscious that he's as ephemerally effective as Riley's brief "fits."

You also explore his attitude and mostly subservient nature to Joy's command. It's clear he respects her lead and notes of her good results but is starting to question her constant control. He has a consciousness of a status quo around here. He notes Joy's particular repellence to "change" and that only makes her seem more unprepared in his eyes and her perpetual insistence of optimism becomes more grating than productive. Yet, he feels rather inexperienced with Riley to the point where he defers to Joy, even if it boils his frustration.

Even though the story focuses on his relationship with Joy, it also gives a profound skim-through of his relationship with the other Emotions. The fact that he admits to himself that Fear (the touch about him
"whimpering in his sleep, as though in agreement" is a powerful touch) might be correct and that Sadness does not deserve to be sidelined (strangely, his attitude toward Sadness in the canon movie is never explored further).

When thinking back to the movie, this fanfic consistently shows why Anger is so trigger-happy to work things out for Riley and feels he has to step up for Riley in Joy's absence. And even though it's a major screw-up on his part, we understand that he's passionate for Riley's well-being (and by extension, it's Riley herself who feels that way).
7/6/2015 c1 Guest
Interesting take on Anger's role. Good job.
7/6/2015 c1 18GreatMountainTengu
Love it! Written so beautifully. Keep it up!