for Make Do and Mend

10/26/2015 c1 PelirrojaBiu
Welcome back! So wonderful to start reading a new story of yours! It being "off the page" makes it so exciting!

Funny, but one of the first things I noticed (apart from "NOOOO! NOT BABY BRUCE!) was that killing line: "he has a respectful regard for the peculiar". It reminded me of RD and Christine's letter to my favourite, Phoebe, where she writes she has "all sorts of respect for the occult". Ha! Should I really remember things like that?

It's true, you do make secondary (at least in Maud's verse) characters shine and evolve. Una has a beautiful, unique voice and I love the slightly sarcastic, dry sence of humour you've given her, despite all the tragedy around her. Her conversation with Gilbert was fantastic. The lesser doctor would tiptoe around her, afraid of how she's going to take Bruce's death, but he talks to her with that truth and honesty that is just so Gilbert.

I love how we get some glimpses from the past, Una and Faith's relationship, Jem and Faith snogging before the war...

Carl is another character who gets a "second life" thanks to you. He's such an advocate of female rights (good for you, Carl!). "What baby? / Which baby?" exchange just cracked me up.

Rilla... Rilla was just wonderful. A few years older than you left her by the end of CTA, she "sounds" more grown-up but still so like herself! Excellent job.

Last but not least, the title is exactly right. They had all hardly any chance to work out their grief after Walter's death, then they have Carl's and Jerry's injuries, Spanish Flu and Bruce's death and now wherever they look, there is a grandchild waiting to be born!

Can't hardly wait to read more!
10/24/2015 c1 7Formerly known as J
Kwak! Thank you, darling, for giving us more Una, and I adore her as the ideal choice of narrator for this (or any) story. And the perfect title for such a time, when 'making do' must have been such an exhausting pursuit for everyone. It also makes me hopeful that Una's broken heart might be mended eventually...

What the - little Bruce is dead and Una nearly suffered the same fate from the dreaded Spanish influenza? Goodness me, that was a shock to start. But I loved her observations that Dr Blythe's wife meant she knows he had a 'respectful regard for the peculiar'. I also enjoyed that to Una, Gilbert is simply 'Walter's father' and not the hot doctor bending over her bed that he might be to some of us...then Jem getting Faith knocked up, good grief, there's going to be a lot to explain here!?

And your gorgeous k-with-a-k genius writing skills shining through at every turn. I especially loved Una lying in the middle of the bed 'like an overindulged cat', the comparison of the manse to Miss Havisham and Una's hair so straight that even a week in rags wouldn't make it curl. Perfect hair for a blunt cut bob. :) Then Jem's kisses steaming off Nan in the pre-war 'blue sky days' and the air so thick with it that Una had to leave the bedroom and sleep somewhere else! But it was Una's melancholy 'September feeling' that seemed the most kwak-like to me.

This was a great start and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you dream up for us next.
10/22/2015 c1 La
Lovely!
10/22/2015 c1 Alinya
I meant to add, I like the title you've settled on. It's far and away the best candidate yet, and very like Una.
10/22/2015 c1 18Alinyaalethia
Where to start? Tonally it is pitch-perfect for Una, she is just severe enough on herself, generous enough about others, ever observant. You said it was Castle you were going for stylistically, and it often is, but I've read that beginning any number of times and I still think of Alcott and love you for it, because that gesture of self-sacrifice by Jo remains unequalled for me. Here it works too, it says volumes about Una's character all at once, but I'm rambling.

I do envy you the ease of narrative exposition. You've thrown me into the middle but it all makes sense as does everything that's happened between CTA and now. I can picture all of it.

If I were teasing out my favourite parts then the description of the manse stands out -that more than anything recalled Miss Mortmain to me - 'blue sky days', and those last two sentences. Of course I loved your fleshing out of Carl too, like Shirley he's become one of these characters that now matters terribly to me but who I know I can trust to your care.

It's wonderful to see you laying seedlings of plots, and to have your work to read again; I am, as ever, eager to read more.
10/22/2015 c1 7DianaStorm09
It's so nice to see you are back - I cannot say how much I missed your writing. Of course you didn't disappoint with this exquisite first chapter set post RoI! A I have expressed countless time, you have such a gift of making LMM's lesser featured characters shine. Your Una is absolutely perfect, her humble opinion about her looks, comparing her (very capably piano playing) and to the slender ones of Rilla, her insight into what is going on around her (thinking of Rosemary's loss of her only biological child Bruce; Faith's and Rilla's particular predicaments - on a side note, I was laughing that you went there!), and of course her devoted love for little Bruce for whom she did such an "un-Godly" and so "un-Unalike" wager to try save his life.
You set up this story so strongly, so needless to say, I can't wait for your next update!
10/22/2015 c1 Erika
Lovely to see you starting another project. It's always a bit disconcerting for me to read about Anne's kids. I suppose it's because - despite the fact I've read all the books - Anne is trapped in my mind as an adolescent. It seems very wrong for her to have children who are adults and, well, having children. I suppose this is probably the same way I'll feel as my own children grow up...
10/22/2015 c1 10Lahiwe
This was absolutely wonderful. As much as I love your diary and letter stories, I had missed your ability to drop us right into an atmosphere and give us the most delicious scenes/dialogue. I loved this, and that's saying a lot because I don't even like the books after Anne of Ingleside (too many new personalities to keep track of, lol) , but I knew I would enjoy your rendition and I was not disappointed.
53 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4