for Checkmate

5/27 c1 Denie1943
A fantastic story with the horses and the game...
1/3 c1 reisova
Very good story
5/29/2020 c1 Clare
What a wonderful fic! I love the idea that as Georg and Maria's chess pieces are advancing across the board, you give us flashbacks that tell the story of how their relationship advanced too, each one more lovely and detailed than the next. Such smart writing! My favourite one is the then Captain trying to impress Maria by winning her a giant teddy-bear on a ring throwing stall at the fete. So romantic and sweet. I can picture it all :) Definitely adding this story to my favourite list.
8/19/2018 c1 mariavtrapp
I adored this story.
6/3/2018 c1 2soundofsonder
I absolutely adored this story. The fair bit was my favorite part!
6/25/2017 c1 Grunt
Love this!
4/18/2017 c1 73UndoubtedlyTheWine
Wow. Such a brilliant idea. Entwining those flashbacks with a game of chess. Loved every bit of this story. Wonderful. Really wonderful
2/8/2016 c1 22Mie779
oh wow what a wonderful story... love how you weaved small flashbacks into their chess game... very romantic and playful... loved it
1/24/2016 c1 1bluesatinsashes
Great story! Apologies for not being able to read and review your story any sooner. I loved how you interweaved the flashbacks with the main plot. And that last flashback! Oh, I can totally imagine the Captain looking super hot and dashing with his sleeves rolled up like that and mastering the ring toss like it's nobody's business. Nice to hear that you based your story on a real chess game that happened in the 19th century-very clever. Well done!
1/1/2016 c1 Guest
Wonderful story, love your writing. Hope you will write more tsom stories
12/27/2015 c1 1callumrogers7
GENIUS - I love this in particular because my uncle had a wooden chess set that I played with as a kid & it reminds me of that. Love the shout out to Sister Euphegenia. Love the flirty dialogue between Maria & Georg & the wager, the prize. . .a kiss, what else? The flashbacks interwoven into the chess game are great, each one unique & clever. Love the idea that Maria is a talented rider, the line about her being poured into her breeches & him confiding to the horse that she took the wind out his sails weeks ago. Love the story about how Georg removes his wedding ring & the retelling of him wanting to impress her by winning the bear at a street fair is perfect, how he notices the difference in reactions between Elsa & Maria after presenting them both with gifts. Finally, Maria ambushing Georg in the chess game, just like she did when she arrived in his life is a perfect way to end.
12/26/2015 c1 38lead me to salvation
This is so cool! I love the flashbacks - and that bit at the fair is utterly adorable - and just wow, your writing is really great.
12/23/2015 c1 34lemacd
sigh. i can't even know where to start to express how much i loved this story. i tried to write a game of chess story. then i realized i suck at chess and know little to nothing about write about the moves. so, yeah, that story was tanked fast. you, however... nailed it. i can see the chess board.

but, come on. "... we can play The Lonely Goatherd." you're just trying to kill people.

riding bareback. poured into her breeches. "if you have to use this then how do you know you're really in control?" you ARE trying to kill people.

proposal in the ballroom might be the most perfect thing ever.

comparing the thrill of giving a carnival prize to maria to giving diamonds to elsa... brilliant. not only that elsa accepted them so routinely but that he wasn't even sure if he noticed if she even wore them. but the bear... he noticed where she kept the bear. whoa.

loved the ending. loved it all.
12/22/2015 c1 2patrickssong
Ooh this was absolutely marvelous. You kicked the story off so well with the flirting. Her calling him 'Captain' and how quickly a conversation can turn just with one flick of his eyes towards. Just delicious. And such a wonderful idea - the chess game. Very Thomas Crown Affairish(the 1968) version.

Love the reference to the 'simplest of things'. Maria becoming his equal just with the kisses and her sitting opposite him. It brings the aristocrat back down to earth and Maria can find her comfort zone as his wife-to-be.

'As I recall, you don't love to say goodbyes' - so subtle and such a brilliant piece of writing!

The first flashback was incredibly yummy. The re-purposed dialogue from the movie was genius. It keeps that connection. They still haven't forgotten how they met. I think it is terribly romantic. 'Naval heroes bruise easily" Naval egos Georg!

Flashing back to the chess game. It is sweet of Georg to go easy on her, but one wonders if Maria is holding back in her true talents. Or whether it is simply part of her nature to not be boastful or smug (unlike her fiance).

The entire sequence with the horse was just incredibly divine. I adored it. It was sexy and flirty and you can imagine Maria bareback and riding across the country.

The entire sequence with his wedding ring. Actual tears. I love that you give Agathe the equality she deserves. She doesn't get pushed aside as can so easily happen within TSOM fanfiction. I love Maria, but I adore that you allow Agathe to share Georg's heart on a level footing.

"I suppose I shall have no need of him when I can take the real thing to bed with me.' that line simply killed me. Absolutely squee-worthy.

Ooooh maria you saucy little minx. Using your wiles to beat Georg. On the other hand, I don't think it takes much to distract our sea Captain. ;)

Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas!
12/22/2015 c1 33augiesannie
oh wow oh wow. I was tempted to say that this was your best story yet, except I can't bring myself to disavow the others. It's just that you packed so many wonderful ideas and themes into this story, but it hangs together because it's framed by the chess match (which is a gorgeous metaphor itself). From the very beginning, when she caresses the white knight, I was hooked. How his eyes show that his body is a liar. Her awareness of how they are sitting across from each other as soon-to-be-equals. Those tiny little things told me I was in the hands of a master.

And then there was the whole deliciious revisiting of the Captain leaving for vienna - "you have remembered," "I'm leaving you in command," "hope you will acquire some discipline" and of course the priceless curtain banter!

Also it was pitch perfect, Maria riding bareback in pants, she is wild and sexy but also kind of has an innocent joy about her. And while I'm usually no fan of riding crop allusions, yours was perfect - a very light but suggestive touch was all that was required - the line about being in control? YES!

THEN there was the whole bit about the ring. And the ballroom. Oh, goodness, I could go on all day.

The whole last bit with the fair and the teddy bear itself was just wonderful. The way he turns down Elsa's invitation without a second thought, the way he wants to win the bear for her (when he could certainly buy it), his firm determination to do right by his children, her spicy retort to him about having the real thing in her bed.

Oh, beestings, this was just wonderful! Thank you for writing it!
26 Page 1 2 Next »