FanFiction.Net
for Snow Season

2/15/2016 c7 35Cotton Candy Mareep
Wow, very nice way of wrapping it all up! I'm really impressed with this. And it was nice to see how nearly everyone ended up in a better place romantically by the end, despite some of my earlier misgivings - Kathy and Chase just beginning to move into actual couple territory, Luna and Gill finally engaged, Luke vowing to ask Selena out, etc. Poor Molly, though; she seems to be the only one without a happy ending here, as even Calvin had the possibility of meeting up with Karen again, I suppose. But think of it this way - perhaps she really is better off romantically, too, as I'd say she'll eventually feel better without her dysfunctional relationship with Calvin holding her down, once the initial bad feelings wear off a bit. Also, that last line really resonated with me; this final chapter was a perfect conclusion, in my opinion.

Great job on this little story; it was a very intriguing, rather bittersweet and well-written read! Thank you for writing it!

2/15/2016 c5 Cotton Candy Mareep
Interesting, I enjoyed hearing the details of Molly and Calvin's rather unhealthy and ill-fated relationship from Calvin's point of view this time. And now he's setting out to find Karen again? Honestly, I still have to side more with Molly, despite Calvin's attempts to explain his feelings - he's got a definite fear of commitment, from what I can tell, especially since he's found himself in this sort of situation more than once. Probably mixed in with a little sense of wanderlust, too. So I can't really blame Molly for not even letting him say goodbye; she's just tired and wants to be done with it all by now.

2/15/2016 c4 Cotton Candy Mareep
Hmm, I really like how you're starting to tie all the events of the previous chapters together! That would explain how Calvin got so drunk in the last chapter, and what Kathy and Chase were doing before their little scene together snowed in at the bar. And I also can appreciate how you've included one of my favorite rival couples, Gill and Luna in this, too (and Julius/Candace and Selena/Luke, to a lesser extent). Can't wait to see where you take this story with the next couple of chapters!

2/15/2016 c2 Cotton Candy Mareep
Hmm, this was an interesting way to write Kathy and Chase (as I'm fairly certain that's who the pairing was in this chapter - I do love how you manage to get a good feel for the characters without mentioning any names!). I guess there's no mistaking Chase's usual sarcasm, haha, and it seems like everyone writes him as one of the only Harvest Moon bachelors who smoke. I suppose it's some kind of restaurant employee thing. And then of course, Kathy has her telltale ponytail.

Nice chapter, and just like the last one, something about it just sets a very melancholy tone. At least, that's the feeling I get from reading this, probably aided in part by your descriptions of the scenery - dim yellow-tinted light, the streetlights encrusted with ice, cold, heavy snowfall, etc. I enjoyed your take on the common "snowed in together" theme.

1/6/2016 c7 28therainydaykids
I had no idea how this story was going to end, but I must say the conclusion was perfect. The final snapshots into everyone's lives told in Molly's perspective? Genius. It was just the icing on an already lovely and melancholic cake.

This section here,

'I went up to the counter to get another drink, since I hadn't seen Kathy for almost twenty minutes. Reaching the bar, I see the side door propped open, Kathy back against the doorframe, and Chase against her, peppering her collarbone and neck with kisses in-between drags of his cigarette.

Luckily Hayden saw me and refilled my drink, before I grew envious of another couple just beginning to find each other.'

Was probably my favorite part of the entire story. It wasn't just the mental image of Chase simultaneously smoking and getting it on with Kathy, it was the idea that Molly could perceive that things were changing between them and becoming real. I just can't over how awesome the idea of Chase/Kathy are, especially when written like this - where the emotional connection is a slow burn compared to the physical.

Also, I liked how you added that glimpse of Candace and Julius, where he was telling everyone he made the ring for Luna/Gill. It just shows how they're all going to become connected as a family soon - made things just super realistic, you know? I'm pretty bummed for Molly, but I don't think it could have ended any better as a story (or any other way for her).

Thanks so, so much for participating in the 12 Days of Christmas and bringing the archive this gem. I can't wait to see what else you post this year!
1/6/2016 c7 73Accidentally The Whole Fanfic
Yikes... how bleak. At least, for Molly. (How the HELL did I miss Luna actually calling her "Molly" in chapter 5? I'm hideous, don't look at me.) On the other hand, there's a little hope for her to move on, maybe find the right person for her eventually. Though, it seems the wound's still way too fresh for her to consider that. Still, I like to keep up a little hope that Molly still has a good match for her somewhere in Castanet.

Also, either Hayden's the world's most oblivious dad, or the world's most relaxed dad with Kathy and Chase necking and smoking like mere feet from him. Which, hey, if those crazy kids are happy together, more power to 'em. I'm surprised he had nothing to say about their PDA, though.

The rest of the little snippets were kind of cute, kind of bittersweet. Overall, a good contrast of emotions on an interesting story.
1/6/2016 c6 Accidentally The Whole Fanfic
This was a really creative use of the theme - and, I agree with rainy in that you really showed off Chase's conflicting feelings very well.

It's funny, it feels like this is almost supposed to be a flipside of [Hello, My Name Is] and Calvin's situation - where Chase is scared of what he's feeling and of the commitment, but willing to try. And the fact that it seems to be mutual, and while their feelings are growing, there's still a good deal of lust mixed in. Feels like a very natural development, and his POV was very engaging - especially using the sights and sounds and smells to tell his story. Pulled me right in.

Well, onto the finale...
1/6/2016 c5 Accidentally The Whole Fanfic
Karen and Calvin, huh? It fits a lot, even if it's sad that it has to end this way for Calvin and Rent-a-Farmer.

Granted, I can't sympathize with him entirely. I get the impression that he's trying to convince himself he tried, even if he really just made half-assed token efforts that he knew weren't enough. (Especially his monologue about how this is always a thing for him.) Though, I get the sense that this may have been intentional. I kind of smell a fear of commitment from him.

I also get the sense, from how she just had him go without a word or a look, that she knew too, and didn't really want to hear any bullshit from him. It was a pretty strong scene, overall, and one that makes for a lot of speculation.
1/6/2016 c4 Accidentally The Whole Fanfic
Hmm. I don't know if I see Gill and Luna looked at in this light very often. Most stories I see them in usually have them on the outs, but they showed off how they were actually a good fit in this part. Both a little intense and pompous, but I could see the affection, and it was nice how even though Gill was kind of into the whole intimacy thing, the idea of it feeling obligatory made them turn away at the last second. It's humanizing, and shows that even they have limits to how business-like they can be about things.

(And I like Luna being a perceptive and hopeless gossip. Though, I don't know if I'd say Candace's hair is lavender, since that's a shade of purple and her hair's blue... maybe periwinkle or something?)

Kinda wanting to guess Chase or Owen shot out that "pompous ass" remark. And Selena seems direct enough that she could make Luke fully understand she wants to climb his mighty oak.
1/5/2016 c6 28therainydaykids
Oooo, wonderful! I love Chase unhealthy amounts, especially when he gets sentimental with feelings. You captured the two-sides of him perfectly: the half where he doesn't want to be lonely, and the half where he is scared of commitment and change. Ahh, I can't wait to see how this story finishes...I honestly have no idea who will get a happy ending - if anyone at all! I'm sure I've said this already but I just love the writing style you're using, so melancholic and just plain lovely.
12/31/2015 c5 therainydaykids
Karen and Calvin? As in Mineral Town Karen? Woah, woah. I need to read the story this ties into ASAP because that's a seriously wicked couple. Poor Molly tho! I can just imagine Calvin being just the right amount of worldly and charming for Karen, whose always dreaming of bigger and better places. Now I'm more excited than ever to see where this goes! Beautiful writing and tone, as always. Poor Molly tho!
12/31/2015 c4 therainydaykids
Oooo! All the threads are coming together. I can't wait to see where you take this. You've captured all the cracks, all the flaws, between so many different pairings wonderfully. So well, in fact, that it makes me love the romances more. They feel real, genuine. You capture the dark sides of relationships so well (and in so few words, which is incredible). Every sentence of this story counts, I love it.
12/31/2015 c3 therainydaykids
Wow. Loved the way you used the theme in this chapter. Right in the feels. I feel as though Calvin has already left Castanet and he's waiting for his body to catch up. Despite that, I'm still hoping for a happy ending!
12/31/2015 c2 therainydaykids
Love, love, love. Kathy and Chase make such an amazing pairing. I really enjoyed comparing this version of them to the version in Better Than the Last; they were so different with each other in this story, but still totally in character. Impressive. Again, I'm a bit blown away but your ability to capture the characters without physical appearances/names. It's a credit to your writing how wonderful these snapshots are.
12/31/2015 c1 therainydaykids
This is...awesome! You have perfectly captured Calvin by just displaying his faults, which is wonderful and heart-breaking. The melancholic, hopelessly hopeful tone of the chapter is wonderful, too, and superbly executed. After this, I can't wait to read the next ones!
20 Page 1 2 Next »