for Pondering the Magnolia Trees

Amazing
7/10/2017 c1 39Mako-clb
This is a lovely story.
8/15/2016 c1 Dwarrior
This was awesome. Great job. Keep up the brilliant work..
1/18/2016 c1 3Starzinmieyez
Beautifully written
1/6/2016 c1 5Nasu Hasami
I appreciated the reference to Meng Jiangnu, but I don't know how many of the readers will understand this literary allusion. "The girl from the story" doesn't really do her justice, and given the nature of this prolific folktale within China, it is unlikely Fa Zhou would have needed to explain what he was talking about to his comrades amongst the militia, particularly not if they were guarding the Wall as it was being built. Meng Jiangnu is Hua Mulan's spiritual sister in the realms of ancient Chinese folklore, and I admire that you suggested a connection between the two tales.

As for the story itself, there are a few sentences that read a little strangely, but overall, it is well written.

Personally, I've always felt Disney was making a point about the One Child policy in China, which was still in place when Mulan was released. (If you disregard the heinous excuse for a sequel, all of the characters are only children.) Historically, by the Ballad, Hua Mulan had an older sister (Mulian) and a younger brother (Xiong), and Li Shang would have been one of many, many siblings. This was a time when the goal of having "one hundred sons" was still the ultimate family goal of most of the affluent families in warring states we know today as China. Having said that, I think the perspective you took is definitely realistic and attainable within Disney's world. My brain is just snapping at the historical issues.
12/30/2015 c1 37FlowersInAdversity