FanFiction.Net
for More Windy Willows Love Letters

2/13/2016 c4 19Alinyaalethia
You know me, you know I loved reading of that birth. Excellently handled and brimful of those details of yours that I so love. The knitting stands out especially.

And the idea of Gil trying to reconcile his understanding of Anne to what he's taught, just gorgeous. Such a lot of mad ideas they had about women, and trust you not only go incorporate them in a way that suits the story, but yo put sense and reason and modernity in Gilbert's mouth.

But you know the best line of all was that declaration, 'you are my heart.' It said everything.
2/13/2016 c3 Alinyaalethia
I've read this several times over now, and every time I discovery some new detail you've woven in, apparently do effortlessly.
-the sideways trees
-the sheer cliffs
-the tide coming in
-Anne wearing Gilbert's cap and his reclaiming it
-tucking her skirts into her belt to claim better
-Gilbert loving the adventurer in Anne
-your descriptions of landscape, and, cliffs, all of it
-Gilbert's ease and grace in that cave
-and then his being dressed right down to the bootlaces afterwards
-spreading skirts out in the sun to dry
-the silty smell of mud

It's easier to list them than write you a coherent essay, though I want to. Even now there are things I loved that I want to mention but elude me. A beautiful chapter that read like water, seamless.
2/13/2016 c4 7Formerly known as J
Here is a new kind of 'belly get birth' if ever I saw one, kwak! Could there be a better way for Gilbert to be shown that what he suspected all along is correct, than being present to witness a woman giving birth? There could be no holding back with Anne now - I loved this idea, kwak! Love, love, loved it! Gilbert reborn! Huzzah!

I also loved all your usual infinite details: of what a home birth was like then (the only kind of birth they knew, of course); the knitting, kwak, the knitting; illicit copies of The Pearl being no match for Anne's letters; the wrist; and Gilbert's beard. But you know the detail I enjoyed most was the change in the Fox (and extra enjoyment points for use of the word 'libertine'!). Or was it Gilbert explaining how he was born to be a doctor and could not give that up, even for Anne? Even though he is 'stretched thin with want' and declaring 'let me have my wife'. Crikey!
2/12/2016 c4 Erika
If there's a better literary hero than Gilbert Blythe, I don't know him. Sweet, clever, driven, and so, so devoted to his Anne - who could ask for anything more?
2/12/2016 c3 Erika
Geez! That's a letter LMM never wrote! ;) Very sensual, very beautiful.
2/12/2016 c4 14mountainrivergirl
I love your letters. It makes them seem real. I read a quote from Maud recently that made me think of you and some of the other FF writers here. I can't remember the wording, but she was saying that her publishers didn't want her to write women as they actually are. They wanted them to be written like older versions of little girls. I think, based on that, she would approve.
2/12/2016 c4 5rebeccathehistorian
That's amazing he got to see the birth.

I laughed at Mrs. Guy's comment of "'Nice set of hands you got. Good and strong.'"

I'm not surprised at what Gil is taught about women. That would be typical of the time.

At first I was kind of surprised that he calls Mrs. Lynde, Rachel, but then again, after going to Green Gables so much over the summer, that's probably to be expected by now.

So Pris has gone to Japan. Oh my gosh. So is she now married then?

"… and once again I know - know it as well as I know I love you - that I was born for this life. I was meant to be a doctor. I can't give it up anymore than I can give you up.": This made me grin.

This was so good! Oh my gosh! I can't wait for the next chapter!
2/12/2016 c4 Bright Promise 2
Gil witnessing the birth of that little girl was beautiful. He was meant to be a doctor, all right. I suppose it's true what they say: being there in the room when a child is born really changes you :)
Love the rest of the chapter too, especially how Gilbert doesn't want to hide anything from Anne and that seeing her in the cave was like home.
Knew you'd update today. I like your use of opposites in the chapter titles for this story and Windy Willows Love Letters.
2/12/2016 c4 KatherineBrooke
Wow! Go Gilbert! I can only imagine Anne's response to such a letter, but then, she has written them herself. It seems Gilbert was in the mood to let it all out too. Love, love, love...
2/11/2016 c3 PelirrojaBiu
Another midnight read for me, but oh so worth it! It did make falling back asleep really hard though :)

There is something about White Sands, isn't it? Didn't Priss and Stella take their famous walks there in RD?

You outdid yourself again, Kwak. Each of your chapters is a separate and complete little piece of art. The writing is beyond outstanding here - Anne seems to be creating a poem or a short story, something resembling in style Gil's letter from chapter 8 of TWWLL (how did I end up remembering what each chapter was about? I've become a Kwak-nerd), instead of just giving an account of the events (and what events they were!). The language is so poetic and the structure so coherent, with the images of Anne fresh out of the coppery bath framing the letter.

I loved the tension that filled every sentence while Anne was looking for Gil. I loved the mention of the "tide" that was coming in and dwelling inside her, it reminded me of Untie the Knot. I loved Gilbert's confidence - he might have written in the first letter how red he was getting just thinking about it, but during the exact moment he was so himself, so sure and yes, so beautiful... And then the "You're early" comment just killed me.

I agree with Anna's review here - you have taken the iconic dripping wet Mr Darcy image to the whole new level. And bravo to the idea itself - I completely agree with all the praises of this feminist approach, it's so refreshing to read a description of the male physique for a change (plus it's Gilbert, come on). After the first letter I was picturing their whereabouts in the cave as maybe them going past the "third button rule" or something, but me of little faith, I should have known you would come up with something ten times more original.

One of your best pieces of writing so far, waiting for Gilbert's reply will be a pure torture (for us and for Anne herself as well, I imagine)!
2/11/2016 c3 Edkchestnut
Well, once again I am astonished at how bold Anne is here. She is definitely using her imagination to the best of her ability. I would love to see Gilbert's reaction to this. Surely we will hear of him doing immeasurable sit-ups, now. As to the cave, honestly I wanted something to happen although Anne's imagination really does her justice. The fact that all he did was take his hat back was as frustrating to me as it was to her. Please update, again, soon. You know I love your stories.
2/11/2016 c3 Anonymous fan
That. was. brilliant. I agree with the other posters- your writing is beautiful and your ideas are ingenious. Please, please, keep writing these love letters- we just have to see Gilbert's response to that amazing telling of the cave encounter by Anne!
2/10/2016 c3 7Formerly known as J
I have been reading and re-reading this chapter since you posted it, all the while asking myself, what can I say? What can I possibly, possibly say to you, except 'wow'. Just - WOW. What words could I use that would come close to describing how it felt to read this? I know I've already told you that you know Anne's voice as if it were your own. But this? This? This was something else, kwak. I still don't really know what to tell you. Suffice it to say, I haven't been this gobsmacked since Chapter 11 of RD4.

From the moment I read 'To wander through October woods is to float through a sunset' I was mesmerised by your magical writing. Then, little did I know that Anne's description of her longing to know Gilbert in Autumn with her imaginings of kissing him 'under scarlet canopies', dressing and undressing him was just the prelude to what was to come.

I was there with Anne as she scrambled along the shore, I was loving it all, enjoying the idea of her wearing his cap and tucking her skirts up, just as excited as she at the prospect of finding Gilbert, but how she found him, oh HOW she found him was just perfectly glorious, wondrous, genius kwak mastery. You truly reign supreme when it comes to writing this kind of scene, babe. Anne's description of him standing naked and dripping in that cavern will live in my mind for far longer even than his sweaty push ups. And that's saying something! But his killer line: "You're early," as Anne stares at him. Holy cr#p, kwak! As Anne says, 'It's no use writing any more, I can't.'

Know that I am genuflecting, bowing in worship at your absolute, unsurpassed genius. Speechless. Spellbound. Awestruck. Astonished. Wow.
2/10/2016 c3 2BrightRiver
If the last two chapters is what you produce from watching the U.S elections... then, please continue bingeing on all the political news you feel like!

Anne's retelling of the cave was glorious. The rawness that came across in her words made her longing to be with Gilbert real. We don't really get much of that in the book at all.

I am glad nothing "happened" in the cave. It would have felt out of place just now.
2/10/2016 c3 Anna
Wait. Wait. Wait. There's more to this, RIGHT? We get to read Gilbert's reply, right?! Waiting for the update will kill me with anticipation but hearing that the story ends here will just kill me, lol. You are phenomenal, and the way you capture these characters is unmatched.
137 « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 .. Last Next »