FanFiction.Net
for Begin Again

4/17/2016 c4 Uandmfan
This is a lovely story. I'm not sure about it though as I hate Anne and Gilbert being apart and I can't see how to get them together. The last chapter felt like we skipped so much. I can't wait to see you fill in the gaps. But I'm afraid to get to the end all at the same time!

I've never reviewed before but have enjoyed all your stories. You are a wonderful writer!
4/16/2016 c3 7DianaStorm09
A very lovely chapter, so many emotions running through me as I was reading this...

First of all, I was as surprised as Anne to learn that Katherine was Will's mom. An interesting choice, I will still need to wrap my head around it a bit. I was saddened to learn of her early death, too, but loved how Anne responded to Gilbert's comment that Katherine didn't really take to motherhood! Which brings me to the essence of this chapter: Anne and Gilbert catching up after all these years. You did such an amazing job establishing the easy camaraderie between these two, sharing the bag of nuts as they walk together. I almost felt as if I was reading Anne of Avonlea or Anne of the Island, there was the friendship, with all these undertones of their deeper connection.

I love how Anne has actually followed Gilbert's life/career from afar all these years but won't admit to it. The sting she feels as she thinks about the children Gilbert could have had (and I wonder who she had imagined the mother of these children to be!) was very bitter-sweet. The sting Gilbert feels at realizing how quickly Anne got married to Roy was so painful, his raw disappointment at the end of your chapter left me quite sad. You can remedy that by adding a new chapter very soon :)
4/15/2016 c3 19Alinyaalethia
And here we are, so deftly, being handed the exposition and the backstory and you do it so lightly that it's easy to forget that's what all of this really is for purposes of story. You know, when I'd finally stopped blinking confusedly at the screen it made sense Gil might have married Katherine. Of course he'd have wanted someone clever, and she was that in spades. And that sharpness of wit -it's both like and unlike Anne. And yet, I can really believe that he loved her for herself, that there was a meeting of minds and mutual respect and a love that ran deep in its own way.

That introduction to Will in retrospect (does that make sense? Will's younger self anyway) was wonderful. There is so much of Gilbert in him, all this whirlwind travelling and city life notwithstanding. And before I forget, I love the almost incidental detail that even in this alternative history, even with an illustrious career, Gilbert needs to live by the water. He was always an Islander to the core, so that concession was lovely.

You know, I don't know what stung more, Anne's dismissal of her own history as nothing to tell, or that terrible, formal reversion to 'Mrs. Gardener' at the end. Both were devastating. I am thoroughly invested in finding out how you untangle this spectacular story you've woven and bring it to order. It's going to be excellent.
4/14/2016 c3 Pelirroja again
Damn app! Sorry, I accidentally sent the review before it was finished. Anyway, the moment at the rotunda reminded me of the scene on the bridge at the beginning of the Aof the I with Gil's "talking hand". But the best part of course is when his cool persona demeneour crambles the moment he realises he could have had ten whole years to win her back.
Keep them coming, girl, you're on fire!
4/14/2016 c3 PelirrojaBiu
The plot thickens! You never fail to astonish me. Here I was thinking about tensed looks and nerve racking silence and what did they do? Ate a bug of nuts, linked arms and took a stroll to catch up. The best thing about it is the way you write Anne: it is so so visible that she feels comfortable and finally herself in his company (unlike when in Roy's) as if they had never been separated. It was so good to read from Gil's pov as well! So Anne wasn't his only lost dream, a solitary private practice was another, even if his career was truly brilliant. The fact that he needs to be close to the water broke my heart a little. Ok, but moving on to the bombshell of the chapter: KATHERINE-FREAKING-BROOKE? Wow. They do say it's a small world. Anne must have had a heart attack when she heard about their marriage. Oh, but did they stay in touch somehow during all these years via letters "about Redmond and home" or have I misunderstood something.
4/14/2016 c3 3IrishPrincess
Gilbert was married to Katherine Brooke! What an interesting twist!
4/14/2016 c3 3YorkshireTeaDrinker
Oh goodness KwaK, this is exquisite agony - he didn't know! How could he not know?

It says much for your skill as a writer that I am bearing to read this, oh what unlucky alignment of planets conspired to keep the truth from them and made them stay apart (although your account of Gilbert's early career makes it all entirely plausible, particularly if they were both busy forging brilliant careers in lieu of settling down in cosy domestic bliss to island obscurity)?

At first I thought you were just fulfilling every AoGG fanfic writer's secret fantasy and keeping Gilbert Blythe all to yourself by marrying him to your nom de plume. But, on reflection, Katherine Brooke makes lots of sense. Gilbert wouldn't dupe another woman into believing he loves her, KB and he are connected by their favourite redhead, maybe they are both settling for the nearest they can get to her? I imagine theirs would be an honest relationship, based on mutual respect (although what matters is how you imagine it, and I am sure I'll believe it, however that is).

I am so looking forward to how you unpack the grand cosmic error that has kept these two apart and then deal with the fall out from their children falling in love. And see off the unvillainous villain that is Royal Gardner.

Fave line: 'She thinks of Dido and brims with gladness that her daughter will know Gilbert, too." What greater testament to her love for Gilbert that she wants the person she loves most in the world to know him too.
4/14/2016 c3 Guest
Wow. Married to Katherine! What an unexpected twist. (I like that Gilbert seems single.) Although imagining Gil and Kat together makes me feel icky, I wonder if he was attracted to her bc of her connection to Anne and maybe he could see Anne in her bc of what Anne brought out in Katherine. I doubt if he had married Christine that it would have been believable she was doing anything helpful on the bridge to have passed that way. All those lovely details you include always seem to subtly hint at something and I really have to think about them and how it fits into the timeline. (Especially hard to do when its after midnight my time and I realized you just posted this chapter and of course couldnt wait to read it although past my bedtime.) I especially liked Gilbert's focus and interactions with his hat when he heard Anne say she wasn't engaged for 10 years and the line about him still having the knack to see things in her eyes that aren't there. You are really on fire with this story, lucky us, the readers! Update soon again.
4/14/2016 c3 2Enna Energe
Am I screwing up the math here? If Gil is 46, Anne is 43. Dido is 19, which means Anne had her at 24. But Anne and Royal didn't get married until Anne was 33? Is Dido even Royal's daughter?
4/14/2016 c3 Guest
This story is awesome keep writing please xo
4/14/2016 c3 7Formerly known as J
K, have I mentioned before that you are pure genius? This chapter is gold!
From the moment I realised Gilbert and Anne were snatching a mere ten minutes together, I was thinking No! That's not long enough to catch up on thirty years! Then I loved Gilbert thinking he'd grown into himself by finally losing his boyish look with his salt and pepper hair (sigh) and finding out about his illustrious career and restless world travelling (unreasonably) made my heart ache for him. But marrying Katherine Brooke?! THE Katherine-with-a-K!? ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! What the what?! I was dumbfounded. Then I realised of course, it's because the whole world's gone all catawampus in this AU, because everyone is in the incorrect section: Anne is with Roy and Gilbert never came back after his disastrous first proposal. And, I'm loving it all! I'm in, hook, line and sinker!
For a moment I thought the daguerreotype was the nude-y one of the redhead that Anne had found in his drawer in another universe, but then I realised it was the Blythe farm at Avonlea. But Gilbert still with his conspiratorial looks at her. Be still my beating heart! No wonder Anne was almost brought to tears by hearing him say her name. And the babies, all those babies. Argh!
But, now what, he didn't know she wasn't engaged to Roy all that time? Why didn't Mrs Lynde or some other gossip tell him? I've got a truckload of questions going on, k, and I'm hoping that you are going to answer them all for me as quickly as poss.
4/13/2016 c3 5rebeccathehistorian
WHAT?! The Cooper Prize wasn't awarded again for more than a decade?!

Interesting. That's really interesting. Gil lives in Boston! I always thought that he'd live somewhere in Canada at least. So that makes me question: Did his son (Will) go off to war early or did he join his other countrymen when America went off to war in 1917?

It's interesting that Gil says that he has no home to go back to. Does he mean Avonlea? Figuratively or literally? Or does he mean Kingsport in the same way?

Prince of Wales College? Isn't that the real name of what Queen's College is in Anne of Green Gables?

Wait, *what*?! Gil married Katherine *Brooke*?!

Oh my gosh! Anne bumps into him, says no when Gil asks if he's holding the bag she's looking for, and already they're walking together arm in arm and are back to the chums they were thirty years ago?! Wow!

Wait, Katherine became an engineer? Huh. I thought she wanted to be a secretary and travel the world.

"… he clutches her arm and squeezes it, 'No interrupting.'": It's back to the way things always were between them. So natural. An excellent friendship.

Aw shoot. He had a relapse. By the specialist in Pennsylvania, do you mean a specialist in Philly (Philadelphia)? If so, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Was the job offer from Glen St. Mary from his Great Uncle Dave?

I love how Gil calls Philadelphia, Philly. Thank you!

One, how come Anne has heard of Dr. Landsteiner, and two, how does Anne know he specializes in hematology?

Why did Gil forget his stint in Vancouver? And secondly, why is Gil all over the place after graduation? Is it because of different jobs?

"She has been following his astonishing career since the beginning.": Oh! That explains one of my questions.

Ouch. That ending hurt - but in a good way, I think.
4/13/2016 c2 PelirrojaBiu
What a chapter! The moment when she falls on her knees is written so beautifully, and I agree, using the present tense makes such a difference and has such an impact on me. I have chills running down my spine every time I read it.

Meeting Dido on the platform was another gorgeous fragment. I love that it's when Anne notices Dido's freckles that Captain Blythe decides to make his grand entrance. Your writing is so concise here, the "and she knows" more compelling than thousand words would be.

The questions, still so many questions! When does Gilbert realise he's seeing her for the first time? In the crowd or by the nut stand, after hearing her ask for Diana Gardner's luggage? Nevertheless, he does seem to be coping better with the whole situation that Anne. But what on Earth happened on the Bright River station? She said "no" to what? And a year after the convocation?!

Another question: are we supposed to read this story as a sort of sequel (well, 30 years later) to the Redmond Diaries (without the last few chapters, obviously)? For instance, I noticed that Roy's liking in fashion is quite emphasised here and we know how he was about his hats and capes in the RD ;). The "not very practical" Roy was so funny, even if he is such a patronizing snob.

This looks like yet another terrific story of yours. I agree with somebody's comment below, it really is haunting and I can't stop thinking about it. Your writing here is so strong that I almost forget about the canon and that mere weeks ago I was reading about Anne and Gil being happily in love!
4/13/2016 c2 7Formerly known as J
And the awesomeness continues! Dear me, who could forget Gilbert Blythe, the one that got away?! This chapter was beyond genius, kwaks, leading us into a world where nobody knows what is going on! My head is still spinning. No wonder Anne had to retire to the study for a weep and a whiskey.

Of course she would only need a glimpse to recognise that it was his son. And not even that long to see *those* eyes, *those* shoulders, *that* voice all still intact, taking her straight back in time. Oooh la la la la!

The confusion and jostling on the station was so well done, and Anne's reunion with her daughter just perfect. And the hazelnut stand, excellent work.

I adore the contrast between Anne's alternate life here with Roy and the gorgeous life we know she has with Gilbert. How much life can fit into so small a space indeed. I can't wait for the next chapter.
4/13/2016 c2 2BrightRiver
Katherine, I feel so hurt that you would trample on my idea... KIDDING. This is brilliant. I am loving every single part of it. Please, please continue with it.

I am wondering if they had Dido out of wedlock? To be in the VAD overseas, women had to be 23 (i think)...and Anne & Roy have only been married 20 years. So many juicy bits to be filled in. I can't wait to read more.

And yes, I chapter three is coming soon.
207 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »