for I, the Abhorred

6/21 c1 anonymouse
Holy shit...wow.

For a while, I thought it was Maedhros that Sauron was torturing.
1/16 c1 2Supreme-won
How did I never find this story until now? I love everything about it, especially how the Elf turns Mairon's love for names/titles against him, and his horrified reaction to the new name was so in character. I knew there had to be a good scene where Mairon finds out his knew name and starts to embody it involuntarily, and this was it.
11/11/2019 c1 16Ruiniel
This story was recommended to me and am I ever glad I experienced it! Nicely crafted and love your portrayal of Sauron's manner and his musings on torture. We need more Mairon/Sauron fics, heh! Great story.
3/19/2019 c1 SweetheartSoldier
This is incredible.
11/30/2018 c1 56Dinadette
Oh this was really good
10/27/2018 c1 9TheDarkLordofDoom
Brilliant. The psychological aspect of Sauron's thought process and the fact that he approaches matters such as torture with perfect, practiced strategy is wonderfully expounded. I find it fitting that he should treat torture and breaking wills as another battle one must win by superior tactics.
But here is the wonderful part- the personality behind the darkness. One sees Sauron at his dark, cruel best, but buried behind the darkness is that small hint of sadness as he is forced into acceptance of what he has become. I reiterate- your version of Mairon is the best I have seen anywhere on FFnet.
1/7/2018 c1 9attheturnofthetide
The way Mairon (Sauron?) reacts to his new name was like the way the bass drops in a song: expected, but still hits hard. This is gorgeous - the way everything builds up, the way Sauron gets more and more riled up, and that last line. GENIUS.
7/27/2017 c1 Guest
Well, this story is admirable.
7/24/2017 c1 6Whack-the-beetle
Oh, I absolutely love this! It's so cleverly done. I only recently figured out what the name 'Sauron' actually means, but it never entered my head that it's not very likely that he gave himself such a name, after all who with a bit of pride (and in the case of Sauron we can assume that there is lots) would?
It makes a lot of sense that he would hate that name, and therefore also forbid his servants from using it (as mentioned in the LOTR).

It's very intriguing how Sauron slips from cool and arrogant interrogator, totally in control of the situation, into this slightly deranged picture of helpless fury. Suddenly the roles are reversed, and the elf has not only the last laughter, but is also the ultimate winner in the end. Loved his last sentence by the way, that was just the cherry on the cake.
10/24/2016 c1 13Araloth the Random
Your Sauron is just as I imagined - calm and composed and so used to reading people that he can put them into categories. Not only accustomed to accurately guessing what his prisoners will be like, but very much used to knowing just how to torture them.

It was interesting seeing Sauron's own horror at what the Elves now called him - he reacted the way an angry, scared child would. You set up clearly that names and words have a magic of their own that reveals the truth of what something is, which was very powerful to read!

There was something very fantasy-film-y (in the best way possible!) about the way you wrote this, and that's why I could hear the name "Sauron" echoing around the halls, with the charged silence falling afterwards. Or why I just loved the way the Elf said that his people know not only who Sauron is, but what he is too.

And, as usual, your characterisations are just brilliant. The way you've written Sauron certainly suits his name - once The Admirable, now The Detested One.

An absolutely fantastic story! You really have a way with words, mellon nin. :)

Ara
7/23/2016 c1 112AzureSkye23
Why do I get the feeling that elf was of the second clan?

But more seriously, this is beautiful. Mairon is spectacularly in character, from the way he values despair as an interrogation tactic, to his volcanic temper. His intrinsic horror at the name change hints at something deeper; he's forced to realize that he really is no longer the admirable, and that's going to haunt him for a long long time.

(On a side note, I am curious at why you have the name change so much earlier than Melkor's? I had assumed that the Noldor just got more and more fed up with people. :)

There are too many wonderful turns of phrase in this piece to name them all, so I shall simply mention my favorite: Mairon speaking of the elf's capitulation in terms of music. That was wonderful, and so fitting for a Maia who would remember when it was precisely that. All in all, a wonderful introspective piece. :) thank you for sharing it!
6/14/2016 c1 40Silvara
The we are the Quendy line was quite powerful. It's probavly gonna stck.
5/31/2016 c1 DefenestratedCountess
Fantastic story!
5/26/2016 c1 Kiki
Oh, don't mind me. Just dancing for joy...in tears...because that was fantastic...as always.

I sure am glad you exist. Thanks for sharing. :)
5/24/2016 c1 43chisscientist