FanFiction.Net
for A Bond That Never Ends

5/22/2016 c1 17mchicken
Nice little story, and you know the Marines are close to my heart, Husband 22 year veteran and son currently at USMC Boot Camp Parris Island.
5/20/2016 c1 A.Fan911
Geez, missed to review due to the hitch last week... sorry... but I still got to review before the military appreciation month ends!
I loved how Mike was so reluctant to go and Steve managed to talk some sense into him... yes, he did have a good teacher. I never really thought about it but your story and Mike's outburst in particular made me think about the pretty much opposite points of view these two men must have. Mike being a war veteran and Steve coming out of the anti-war hippie era... but that never seemed to be an issue in the show (or the writers simply never considered this subject). It would be a great thing to explore in my opinion...
I don't even want to think about childhood heroes dying... some already have and yes, it was very sad... but some (one in particular) are still alive and I'd like to believe that's going to stay that way for a long long time...
Thanks for the image of Mike doing a Carmen Miranda imitation that you've planted in my mind!
Anja
5/18/2016 c1 44EKWTSM9
So many of us had family members who served and it's nice for them to be remembered. Thanks for sharing this!
5/15/2016 c1 Nans
A great story to honour vets of war.
My adopted father built ship during the war.
My Step-father was in the navy.
When I am out and about and I see a service member I take the time to thank them for their service.
Nans
5/15/2016 c1 Amanda England
Really enjoyed this. Thank you for writing it.
5/15/2016 c1 Smithy
It is a real shame that the Greatest Generation {those that served in WWII} are not really being appreciated like they once were. But what really is interesting is about the Vietnam War generation. I have some 'Magnum, PI' DVDs and Magnum was telling a woman named Joan Gibson about his time in Vietnam and how he and his friends felt so scared at one moment, and Joan finished with "You were never more alive."
5/15/2016 c1 1Sylvia Elaine
This was a very interesting short story and you brought up things that we all know about WWII but never had to live through. It's so valuable for the younger generations to listen to and learn from the older generations but we never really heed what they say. We still go headlong into more wars that are sometimes very hard to justify. My parents lost their shop and living accommodation in the flat above in the bombing of Birmingham in 1940. My Dad was then called up for 6yrs of military service but, thankfully, as RAF service police he was non-combative though he did spend 3 yrs in north Africa. Apart from the fact that he was away from my Mom, he actually enjoyed his part in the war. On the other hand my Uncle was in the Army on the frontline on mortars. After the war the difference in the two men was staggering. My Uncle always had a tremor, hated loud noises, was short-tempered and angered easily. As a child I could never understand why they were so different. As an adult of course I could understand the differing effect the war and their experiences had on each of them. You brought this home so well in your story. Mike's reluctance to attend the reunion because of dredging up memories that had been suppressed for so long and then, when he did, it was nice to imagine him having a laugh with these old mates that he'd gone through the war with. Steve and Jeannie never will fully understand what Mike went through. We all owe a massive debt to these soldiers who fight and sometimes die for our freedom. Very well done.
5/15/2016 c1 Tony Robbertsen
Again a very touchy story from your hand. What would Mike be without Jeannie and Steve and his kids without Mike.
5/15/2016 c1 39dublin writer
A very poignant and sweet story about Mike's time in the Marines. It was very rarely touched on in the series which leaves scope for lots of stories about the subject. Very touching how Steve and Jeannie were there for him every step of the way and a nice tribute to the brave men who served, are serving or lost their lives in service. Nice story. Well done!