for Remnants of a Forgotten Past

3/1 c20 1Nesthor5000
Anyone else get a Dumbledore/McGonagall vibe from Ozpin/Goodwitch?
So I was re-watching all of RWBY today and I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the characters. Ozpin has a very all knowing feel to him, always knows what is going on and feels he has to protect the children from the war even though we know they can handle themselves fairly well. I also get the feeling that he himself will only step in when things get really bad.

As for the Goodwitch and McGonagall comparison, they both have that very stern exterior but you can almost feel how much they actually care. I don't know maybe I am just grasping at straws here.

My Opinion on where Ozpin stands

Time and time again I've seen people be divisive about Ozpin - Either he's some monster manipulating people, or he's a goody two shoes and all his actions are justified.

Personally, I believe the following:

Ozpin has years of knowledge behind him. He has seen life pass and has no qualms about sending people into their death if it means humanity gets a fighting chance.

He knows exactly what to say and how to say it in order to convince people to follow his ways.

His teaching method at the academy was fairly brutal, allowing pimpsqueaks with minimal training and no aura like Jaune to get in. He doesn't exactly take the carebear approach and cherish all life.

He does not cherish all life, he has a cause and wants people to follow it so that the grimm can be defeated.

He's also a genuine idiot. He had all the relics at one point, but despite their power, didn't use them to stop Salem... To then decide to seal them away and give his power to 4 random mortals who can access the relics whose powers will randomly be passed on forever with no fail-safe should they fall into evil hands. Eventually, he chose three headmasters to guard the vaults and as far as we can see, one of them is a paranoid control freak who's far too confident with himself, and the other was an utter coward with no regard to killing off hundreds of huntsmen just to appease Salem. Terrible judge of character.

Despite his methods, all of the people he "coaxed" into saving the world were adults who willingly accepted one way or another. The ones bitter about it (Raven) are likely upset because he "keeps things close to the chest", only spit out a half truth before turning them into birds, and thus put a permanent mark on Raven's back who didn't want to be a part of it anymore after finding out the whole truth.

In the end, his goals are in favor of saving humanity and letting go of his curse. He keeps secrets because this way he has more control over who follows his agenda and to avoid secrets being unnecessarily revealed to the enemy.

He's an 'ends justify the means' type of good guy, while also being fairly dumb.

Oz’s a failed “Chosen One”. A paragon that’s gone through unimaginable grief and suffering yet still persists and is still mostly upright in terms of morals and ideals. Even when finding out that there was no way for him to destroy Salem he still tries to keep her back. He may have not had a plan to beat Salem, but I’m sure he was ready to stall her destroying humanity for as long as he could while still letting people enjoy themselves to their fullest. His experience is a great benefit but also shown to be his Achilles’ heel since it’s left him with a significant lack of trust in those closest to him due to all of the betrayal he’s gone through.

The way I see it, Oz is on the wrong foot of losing his war against his ex-wife Salem. Salem has brought the silver-eyed warriors to the brink of extinction, has made the Grimms have almost the entire territory of the planet to themselves, has developed a method to steal the magic of others (grimm parasite), has created hybrid eyed warriors Silver Plated-Grimm (Hound of volume 8), has cut communications between kingdoms, already has a plan to end the forces of Oz for good. Oz has made the following mistakes that have cost Remmant and his people too much, such as: -Gift most of his magical powers to 4 people without having a method to make sure whoever inherits them is trustworthy or get them back. -Hidden too much crucial information even from his closest allies -He has made Remmant too dependent on his guide and if something happens to him the line of command is almost broken. -He has been too focused on finding a way to destroy Salem that he has not thought of other ways to permanently defeat her such as sealing her, locking her in a pocket dimension (the vaults) or launching her into outer space. My theory of how the Dust originated are 3: -They are a fossil fuel that originated from the remnants of Remmant's first magical humanity. -They are the remains of the moon charged with the magical energy of the god of darkness -They are the crystallized accumulation of magic energy that is in the environment or Remmant's magic ley lines without using it. On the origin of the Aura it seems like a combination of reinforcement and protection spells plus a specialized spell (Semblance).

Oz as leader resembles a fusion of Dumbledore's (Harry Potter) manipulations and information concealment, Celestia's incompetence (MLP), treating others as replaceable chess pieces like Magneto (X-Men). For example, Oz did not place a single selection mechanism to the power of the maidens in dying (spoilers if each and every one of them appeared), he made Remnant dependent on the hunters and the atlas troops, he kept exaggeratedly secret information from Salem that he could have used for strategies, Beacon had a hideous computer security system and to top it all he entrusted the fate of the human and Faun race to kids with quirky fashion senses and weapons bigger than their own bodies. I also don't know how Oz didn't think of sealing Salem, throwing her into space or better yet a black hole, locking her in a pocket dimension or a way to permanently eliminate the Grimms, had the relic of destruction could have used it to strip Salem of his army of Grimms but foolishly decided to hide it like the other relics. But the point is that I say, if I had a coin for every time ozpin wasted an opportunity to destroy salem and / or the grimms would have enough to buy me a pizza.
8/17/2021 c9 Arashi Uzukaze
Poor Naruto. I wonder how long it'll take before he actually understand what happened was partly his fault and mostly Kurama's fault?

Hopefully before the next place he goes to is also overwhelmed by Grimm attracted to his presence.
7/12/2021 c8 OriginalName1
Why doesn't Naruto just summon over a thousand of clones? He doesn't summon that many in this invasion of the village compared to what he can really do. Have he been nerfed for this fic or something?
5/23/2021 c20 Guest
Continue this story
5/13/2021 c5 fan
hey, i don't know if you still alive or not, because it has been four years since you last update but if you are, please update the story, it could be something amazing if you continue it, just don't nerf naruto character so much okay?
5/10/2021 c7 Mr.Heller
I'm more concerned with Killer B, absolutely nothing in Remnant can even scratch him, he can conquer a kingdom out of boredom and nothing can stop him, even without Gyuki he's a Kage-level shinobi and almost unstoppable for even a battalion of Huntsmen, as a perfect Jinchuriki, I'm not sure even combined power of all kingdoms can even slow him down.
12/27/2020 c10 Pimity
Can you kill flidais off already.
11/28/2020 c5 Seraphy64
This chapter is where I stop. Naruto can take out a Grimm with ease, several in fact. So his shadow clones can handle 1 each at least. The first night he learned it he could make hundreds and still have enough chakra to keep going. Yet over a weak he's just letting the villagers fight, get injured and die without using clones? When he can make dozens and send them out to hunt down Grimm and scout? It's not like he has to worry about running out of chakra with his reserves and regeneration.

Then during the battle he makes a line of clones and has them stand still instead of killing or beating and restraining the circus employees, after which they can help out with the defense against the Grimm. And he doesn't even make a second wave to help defend. Just why?

Naruto is a one man army and he isn't doing the one thing he's good at.
11/28/2020 c4 Seraphy64
Not satisfied with the Gaara vs Qrow fight. Gaara would crush him.
10/11/2020 c12 JustDusty
Alright at least now you're making Naruto face his dumb naivete and stupid sense of morality.
10/11/2020 c8 JustDusty
Spam clones, punch, rasengan, Spam clones, punch, rasengan, Spam clones, punch, rasengan, Spam clones, punch, rasengan, Spam clones, punch, rasengan, Spam clones, punch, rasengan, Spam clones, punch, rasengan, Spam clones, punch, rasengan, over and over and over and it's fucking annoying. You couldn't just be a little more creative and have him learn something new during those few months with Jiraiya? He literally mastered wind manipulation in a few weeks when it takes several years for experienced shinobi
10/11/2020 c4 JustDusty
Are you saying Qrow is faster than Lee without his weights? you know, Rock lee who seemingly teleports? That Lee? I get that you want to nerf them to make the fights fair but to the point where they could get killed like genin kill bandits? come on
6/8/2020 c6 Guest
why all the filler chapters they are 6 for 6 now
3/1/2020 c4 Xud10a
I’m glad this story is dead. I hate it when the authors make characters stronger than they are it’s a sign that the author is a terrible writer. What the hell was that fight between Gaara and Qrow like are you serious, how was Qrow able to past through Gaara defense there is no way that he is fast enough to do that not only that but you actually think that the elements dust creates are a lot stronger or similar to that of chakra elements. Chakra can make use of elements that dust will never be able to provide and there’s no way that dust could’ve easily destroyed Gaara shield. If the fights are gonna be like this where you buff RWBY characters I don’t want to read this crap. Qrow does not have the speed to get past through Gaara shield like how you made it out to be.
2/21/2020 c20 Guest
Please update, this is such a good story with a lot to unpack.
372 Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »