for Just Give Me a Reason

10/16/2018 c1 4Bella119
Like the start how you brought in the sounds and feel as well as sights of the city. Set the scene really well.
All the emotion and memories tied up in a physical object but it was human touch and connection which brought back better memories. I enjoyed this
10/16/2018 c1 BBuffydX76

Remember, we all are walking under the immortal shadow of Him.

His light shines so brightly, it will guide us to our foreseen destiny that is in our grasp.

Now onto the actual review:
The collapsable recurve bow was his lifeline. This particular bow had been a gift from Coulson many years ago. So long ago Clint couldn't actually remember a time in his SHIELD career when he didn't have this particular bow. Of course he had plenty of other bows in his arsenal. The weapons department at SHIELD were all gleeful whenever he had a new design idea. Like an over indulged child he was often accused of being, he got every single design made for him as well. Clint knew he had Coulson, and Paul Lyngley, the head of weapons R&D to thank for it. But despite all the fun 'toys' he'd been gifted with over the years, this old bow still remained his favourite. Both for its functionality and sentimental value.

A Renault 6 doesn't use coil springs or leaf springs. ;P;
10/16/2018 c1 Tamas.48

Now onto the actual review:
"Maybe bent, not broken," Natasha gave a small smile. "Perhaps you can learn something from your terrible taste in music."

I believe the post you offer will give me the opportunity to improve my knowledge of the English language and my translating skills. :(
10/16/2018 c1 Brananna.21

Now onto the actual review:
"Then what would you say?" Clint snapped a little harder than he truly intended. He winced and was about to apologise when Natasha quickly cut him off.

It's the only possible conclusion. :(
10/16/2018 c1 Nrbert 17

Off ffn with u. ;P;
10/15/2018 c1 Uggarah4

Enjoy!

A Renault 6 doesn't use coil springs or leaf springs. :)
10/15/2018 c1 Mdimas 2

Now onto the actual review:
"You know what you should do with it?" Natasha didn't look up from the bow. She didn't wait for an answer before continuing. "We could mount it and set it above your bed. Just because something is broken it doesn't mean its useless."

From my point of view, it would be better to wait a little longer. O_O
10/15/2018 c1 Ilna-48

Now onto the actual review:
But the current concern on his bow was new. He hadn't noticed it after the battle in New York. But Clint also hadn't touched his bow in the last few days. It was only the lack of sleep which drove him to the archery range Stark set up. As he went to start shooting he inspected his bow. Like he had a few million times before. But for the first time in years, Clint found something that stopped him dead in his tracks.

Philosophy is a science, and as such has no articles of faith; accordingly, in it nothing can be assumed as existing except what is either positively given empirically, or demonstrated through indubitable conclusions. ;P;
10/15/2018 c1 Agellarion.30

Now onto the actual review:
"One of us has to be," Natasha gave him another squeeze before letting go.

We were arranging flowers. T_T
12/8/2016 c1 KnowInsight
Awwwwww
10/23/2016 c1 13MagpieTales
Hi IceDragoness, over from WA to read the challenge entries. I'm familiar with Avengers from the recent films. (But not the comics, so I don't know exactly how much of Clint's back-story is canon and how much you invented. If the bit about Coulson & Fury sending Clint for Natasha was you, that was inspired! )

I really enjoyed this. The opening nicely set the scene and where we are in the timeline. The nicks in the bow were a great way to tell us something of Clint's history. Of course he'd know his bow so intimately, and those incidents in particular, and even though he didn't dwell on his last run-in with his brother, we still get that it's important – that was nicely and subtlely done. The damage to his bow was also a great way to lead up to his current turmoil and I loved the parallels between that and his bow being finally damaged beyond repair.

I like Clint and Natasha in the films, I like that they pull their weight in the Avengers despite their more mundane abilities, and I like their close relationship. (And I'm a Pink fan too.) You did a great job of keeping them both in character here, and showing their relationship. They communicate more through actions than words, which I think really fits them. Natasha is so Natasha here too, very matter-of-fact even though she knows he's in a dark place.

I also appreciated the touches of humour – the joking about his taste in music, the suggestion they drink Stark's vodka. That stops this being too dark, and neither of these two are the type to mope for long. I loved the upbeat ending you chose too, that he'll make something for her out of the bow but that you left that open. (Perhaps a necklace - or perhaps a neckguard, Natasha might appreciate something practical.)

Well done, lovely piece!

Now for some suggestions, feel free to ignore.

First, splitting clauses that might read better together into separate sentences made this a bit jerky in places. For instance, you have 23 instances of 'but' and 19 start new sentences. That becomes a noticeable pattern, especially when you have three 'But... .' sentences in a short paragraph. Similarly, beware of over-using fragments for the same reason. I use quite a few fragments too and I usually like writing that does, but I still found they interfered with the flow here so you might want to cut back on them.

Second, there's some awkward phrasing. This is quite hard to describe without examples, so I'll just give a few with changes I think would read better (and if any of this is Australian phrasing, please excuse my ignorance):

Like an over indulged child he was often accused of being... — Like the over-indulged child...
But those who told a particular story — But those that... (Because those refers to nick and cracks.)
...closer to him more than his own brother – lose the more, because the closer already tells us that.

It's hard to spot those kind of things, but perhaps reading aloud might help you pick them up.

Lastly, two really minor quibbles: I'd write 1/8 as eighth and 1.626 as over one and a half million; and feathers weight needs an apostrophe.

None of that detracted from my enjoyment though, this was a great story. Well done & I hope that was helpful.
9/29/2016 c1 17TheViewFromTheAfternoon
Hi, I'm here from WA, checking out the challenge entries :)

I really enjoyed reading this. Clint is one of my favourite characters in the Avengers movies and the way you've written both him and Natasha felt very in character for their personalities.

The parallels between the broken bow, and the effects his actions have had on him was very effective, and worked well and I enjoyed reading his thoughts as he reflects on all that has happened.

A great story, which works really well for the broken object theme :)
8/24/2016 c1 Guest
Very sweet scene. :)
8/5/2016 c1 8Kaguya 2.0
Hello, and congrats on completing your entry for the challenge! I'm Avengers fandom-blind, amazingly (I know, I know!), but for the most part I was able to follow the emotional arc of this fic.

This fic encompasses the "broken object" theme quite well. I really liked how Clint remembered the story behind each little scratch and chip on the bow, how he met Natasha for instance. I'm not very sentimental about objects, personally, but still, that section truly made me feel how important the bow was to Clint.

Also, there were suggestions of the broken bow being symbolic of Clint himself. He obviously feels remorseful about something he did in canon-he was bodysnatched by aliens, huh? I honestly don't know whether your portrayal of Clint is IC or not, but I do like how you focus on the emotional aftermath of the event... which, in the movie, I imagine probably didn't get fully explored.

"We're not broken, just bent." I liked that. As we go through life we all accrue scars and bruises, some on the outside, some on the inside. But as long as we can love, we're not broken.

Other reviewers have already made comments on SPAG, so I'm not going to do that here. I was curious, however, about the last line of the story. The significance of Natasha's neck and someone else needing a reminder of Clint's old bow... Maybe it's because I'm fandom-blind, but I couldn't put two and two together. Perhaps when you revise, you could clarify this.

Anyway, nice work and good luck!
7/27/2016 c1 24StopTalkingAtMe
Well, I'm fandom-blind, but I still enjoyed this story. Some of the wording can be a little awkward sometime. I'm a big, big fan of sentence fragments, particularly for impact, but found some of them a little jarring here.

Numbers (particularly small ones) should usually be spelled out rather than shown in numerals, and I would suggest not using inches to describe the cracks, e.g. saying 'the width of his thumbnail' for example. I have no idea how big an eighth of an inch is, so I'm sure I'm way off. :)

The story particularly picks up when Natasha arrives, so I think getting to that bit quickly would give the story more impact. I'm not sure we really need to know about the scratch and the chip of paint, but instead get to the crack straight away. We do get some info about Natasha, but I think this could be worked in elsewhere quite easily. Maybe when you mention her eyes. The focus of the story, I think, should be his relationship with Natasha, and his decision to melt the bow down into a necklace for her (which is a lovely ending, by the way).

Sometimes it reads a little choppily, and I've made some in-line suggestions for rewords below. Bear in mind some of these suggestions will inevitably reflect my own style of writing, so please do take what you want and reject the rest. We all have to find out own style, right?

I hope you find this useful.

Of a nighttime
Maybe just: 'At night'

But he wasn't paying attention to the sights of the city
The paragraph above refers specifically to the sounds, so this jars a little.

The tight grey shirt providing little protection
Maybe 'His tight grey shirt' and 'provided' rather than 'providing'.

In front of him being studied carefully with his steely blue eyes was his bow.

Not keen on the passive structure of this sentence, so I would strongly suggest a reword. 'All his attention was fixed on the bow before him' or 'in his hands'. Something along those lines anyway.

Repeat of 'this particular bow' in the third paragraph. Maybe: 'The collapsable recurve bow was his lifeline, a gift from Coulson many years ago.

down countless people. Drug lords, weapons dealers, assassins

Would suggest deleting 'people' and just carrying straight on. I.e: 'countless drug lords, weapons dealers'

But the risk that had played out well.
I'd suggest either deleting 'that' or changing 'the' to 'a'

How many families mourned []. How many people out
Both these sentences are questions so should end with question marks

Clint acceptable the bottle
accepted

Clint deflected running his fingers over the crack
Comma needed after 'deflected

hold his bow. But he trusted her
Better as one sentence, I think

scraped, bruised and a few missing fingernails
'missing a few fingernails' maybe

doesn't mean its useless."
it's

the most grounded in days
Maybe 'most grounded he'd been in days'

become to voice of reason
'the' not 'to'

Clint learnt to live what that a long time ago.
'with that'

a feathers weight
feather's

"We're not broken just bent,"
Comma after 'broken'

Natasha returned the smile. Her soft and gentle on her face.
Second sentence there doesn't make sense.

The small scratch, barely 1/8 of an inch
This whole paragraph reads quite choppily to me. To give you an example of what I mean, this is how I personally would reword it, although bear in mind this is only a suggestion and will inevitably reflect my own style of writing.

'As they'd stood there deadlocked, Clint had looked into the green eyes of a woman who was meant to be a killer. Only instead, he'd seen a young girl who'd witnessed far too much death and destruction. It was almost like looking into the eyes of his younger self. Killer's eyes, but with the innocence of stolen youth. She looked weary, tired of fighting for a cause she'd long ago stopped believing in, and her eyes were searching for a chance to escape the nightmare of her life.'

JUst to give you an example of what I mean. Again, I hope you find this useful.
19 Page 1 2 Next »