for Damascus Road

10/12/2017 c7 17bexlynne
Oh my gosh I loved this! I've always been fascinated by Edmund's character arc, and I love the comparison here between him and Saul turned Paul. "After all, I only held their coats..." This is the first story I've found that so expertly tells Edmund's way of seeing things. If I didn't know the story already, I would have believed that Peter was trying too hard to be grown up, or that Susan was always nagging, or that Lucy was the annoying younger sibling. You did a fantastic job of writing not just Edmund's point of view, but the world through his eyes.

It had never occurred to me that he'd be afraid Aslan would kill him for being a traitor, or that the others on Aslan's side wouldn't trust him at first. And I love the recurring theme of "traitors deserve to be punished," and how Aslan forgave him for ALL his sins, not just the ones committed in Narnia. An excellent illustration of a sinner's forgiveness, both on your part and C.S. Lewis'!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go read the rest of your stories, because you are simply amazing. :)
8/21/2017 c1 7JustValiant1717
Had to read this one more time before I go to bed tonight to have peaceful dreams about conversations with God and Heaven. And then I'm struck with that very short part from the Prince Caspian book wherein Aslan tells Edmund "well done." There's just something about remembering that scene while reading this that makes chapter 7 all the more profound for me, and vice-versa. I just love this story. Thanks for sharing it! Have a great day/peaceful night ahead of you!
8/20/2017 c7 JustValiant1717
Uhmmm... I honestly don't know what to say. I'm almost speechless with gratitude that you wrote this blessed story. That part when Edmund saw all his sins and his loved ones' pain in Aslan's eyes alone was enough to undo me. I honestly struggled to read everything that followed through the tears in my eyes. But I'm so happy I pushed through my emotions. I can't thank you enough for writing this - for giving Edmund the opportunity that neither the book nor the film/TV adaptations gave. For driving home how great Aslan (and He who inspired the character) truly is. Honestly, I was reminded of the song Broken Vessel (Amazing Grace) while reading this. I shall remember this story and this chapter tomorrow, in the weeks, months, years to come, and until the end of time.
8/20/2017 c6 JustValiant1717
This might sound either hypocritical or insensitive, but I'm relieved that the torture isn't excessive in this story. I mean, after throwing the Pevensies into the Hunger Games, you'd think reading Edmund's captivity would be a cakewalk, but it wasn't.

I didn't enjoy this chapter NOT because it was not technically and emotionally brilliant (it is brilliant in all aspects!), but because I hate child abuse like everyone else. At the same time, I'm thankful that you wrote it this way. Some Narnia fanfics tackling Ed's time as the Witch's hostage really crank up the torture knob to the extreme (with others even hinting at sexual abuse). And while a few authors make it work due to certain elements that are unique to their story, I try to avoid too much torture as much as possible (I told you it sounds hypocritical because of what I'm currently working on! I'm so sorry!).

I don't know how else to explain what I feel about this chapter, except that it is just RIGHT (but I feel so evil saying that because nothing is right with the way Jadis is treating Edmund!). I mean it's cruel, but not to the point that I want to close my eyes like in the movies until the character's suffering is over.

I am so full of contradictions today! But I'm sure you get my drift! And it goes without saying that I was filled with nostalgia [especially while showing Edmund's eagerness for the sumptuous (at least in the book) Beaversdam dinner he didn't properly enjoy] and awe again because of your impeccable writing gift. I felt so bad for Edmund so many times in this chapter. But the self-pity and remorse are probably the hardest to read, because I can only empathize with those too well.

I'm so excited to read the next one! I'm so glad it's ready now! Thank you so much for updating so fast; for striking the perfect balance between quality and quantity. And thank you for your replies whenever I leave reviews. I really enjoy reading your take on charactizations and endeavor to learn from them!
8/14/2017 c7 Helen
"Glory be to Him who bought us,
Washed us from each spot and stain!
Glory be to Him who loved us,
Made us kings with Him to reign!
Glory, glory, glory, glory,
Glory to the Lamb once slain!"
...and I think John Donne would be pleased with the quotations, too!
8/13/2017 c7 17CooperGirlHH
Ohhhh ... I so loved this! What a detailed look into Edmund's mind all through the events of LWW ... your characterisation was so perfect! I need to read it all again in one piece, as soon as I have time!

But I do think I'd like to read what's going on after the last scene in this fic? How will Edmund come to terms with how he's been and what he's done in the long run?

Can't wait for more from you!
8/13/2017 c5 40Laura Andrews
I love seeing this from Edmund's perspective. Especially at the Beavers' house; it's so different from the way the other three experience it.
8/13/2017 c7 64Sophia the Scribe
Beautiful job all the way through this story. I think you handled The Scene quite well, all things considered, and of course seeing Edmund's whole journey that we can only deduce from those few phrases in the book made it all the more meaningful. Keep writing lovely stories like this!
Blessings,
Sophia
8/13/2017 c7 127meldahlie
Now I shall go and wipe away a tear...
... and then dig out my unfinished tale about those poor stone creatures at their Christmas breakfast!
Thank you for this lovely work!
8/13/2017 c5 meldahlie
Good work, but one small Brit-pick. In the UK, we eat with the fork in the left hand and knife in the right hand all the time, no swapping over. So, anyone disturbed mid-meal, or wanting to be excused, lays down both knife and fork. A small thing, I know, but it reads oddly to English eyes!
8/13/2017 c5 7JustValiant1717
Aaaahhh...so, so delightful! I know I adhere more to the films when I'm writing, but the fact that this follows the books brought back all the warm, beautiful feelings I had when I read the books at age nine! I felt nostalgic over the "taking the armour apart" scene. I've always thought that's silly but adorable of the boys! It's just like kids their age to come up with such shenanigans, isn't it? Thank you for including that!

This is so special all on its own though, because we're navigating the story purely through Edmund's eyes and we're hit with every dark emotion churning within him. I kid you not, but I love the gritty fashion with which you presented this story MUCH MORE than Lewis did. I have all the respect in the world for him and I LOVE the books (especially Dawn Treader), but LWW was a bit patronizing at times (in my humble opinion), so I really love the depth shown in your story.

I can't wait for you to flesh out Edmund's redemption just as much as you did this unlovable part of him! And many, many kudos to you for your immaculate grammar and techniques once again!
8/12/2017 c5 9Daughter of Eve3
Oh Eddie, every time I read Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe (except the first time) I tell you not to eat the Turkish Delight and to get away from the Witch, but you never listen and end up feeling guilty.

Anyway, I love how you write Edmund in this story. I like reliving the joy I get every time I read Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe. I love it, and can't wait to read the next chapter:)
8/12/2017 c5 17CooperGirlHH
Ohhhh ... i LOVED this chapter! It is so enjoyable to read all this and see it through Edmund's eyes. Nasty though he may be, I think I can sympathize with him, though... I am really looking forward to the next chapter, to see how he will finally realise (hopefully) what he's done and how the witch really is!
8/8/2017 c4 7JustValiant1717
You're absolutely brilliant. I don't have the words to express how much I love this. Edmund is my favorite Pevensie. Only four chapters in and this is already shaping up to be one of the best Edmund-centered story there is. Pray, update soon, magnificent JubileeKnight!
7/31/2017 c4 17CooperGirlHH
Oh... you let us wait a long long time for this. It was worth the wait, though! Although it is really hard to like Edmund in this (despite him being my favorite of the four) it's a wonderfully written chapter! I am really looking forward to see how you're going to make him go through the changes we all know he's going to go through!
Thank you for writing this wonderful fic:)
27 Page 1 2 Next »