for Freefall

8/26/2020 c25 LadyMarmalade282
Please come back to this story...this is hands down the BEST Lionel/Martha story there is out there. Nothing even comes remotely close. Your writing and overall story telling is wonderful. Your characters are spot on! The dialogue is perfect! This story still crosses my mind.
7/15/2020 c26 LadyMarmalade282
I’ve been rewatching Smallville on Hulu...I loved the thought of Lionel and Martha. They’re both such great characters with the potential to really challenge each other. This story is wonderful, I hope you continue!
1/12/2020 c26 justanotherfan9
You updated! Thank you!

Wow! Lionel proposed! And Martha characteristically turned it down. But of course Lionel reverted into protecting himself.

Can’t wait to see how Helen’s taunting affects Lionel’s next move. And what’s going to happen when the prodigal sons return.
12/31/2019 c26 smreed83
This is my favorite Martha/Lionel Smallville fic. The character personalities are spot on. Can't wait until Lionel finds out about the baby!
12/17/2019 c25 smreed83
This is a really great story. I hope you finish it someday.
3/30/2019 c23 2Kashira1786
I’ll admit, I’ve read and reread this fic multiple times since I discovered it back in December. I really love how you handle the characters, and how they’ve grown. You have such a good grasp on them, especially Martha.

I’m very curious as to how you’re going to handle season 3. Because this is Lionel arguably at his worst. He’s dying of a liver disease, he loses Morgan (his oldest friend), his involvement parent’s deaths comes to light, Lex has a psychotic break and then Lionel forces him to have another. This is Lionel at his most selfish with no regards to others.

And yet in this fic he has Martha. Even if they’re not in a stable place right now, she’s far more present in his life than she was in the show. And in the show, especially in season 56 when they reconnect, her friendship helps ground him. She wasn’t the catalyst that led to him trying to become a better person (I’d argue that Clark was), but her support and willingness to accept him into her life helped Lionel a lot. So I’m very curious as to how his actions and motivations will change (especially since you’ve shown you’re willing to play around with canon - speaking of which, I love that you brought in William Clark)

Also, since Martha is still pregnant, there’s the baby to consider. Granted, Lionel doesn’t know about it yet, but when he does it’ll give him another reason why he can’t act selfishly (or it might make him even more reckless and desperate to survive - its so exciting to think of all the possibilities!)

And also Martha is closer to Lex now than she was in the show. So I’m really excited to see how that relationship grows after Lex returns. He’ll need emotional support to help cope with his trauma from being on the island, and he’s not gonna be able to really get it from Lionel (who has his own longstanding childhood trauma which make emotional connections difficult for him).

I’m gonna be doing another slow reread again in a few weeks, and I’ll post another longer review with all the accecdotes I noticed while reading. Unfortunately FF doesn’t allow you to review the same chapter multiple times (such a dumb rule!) so I can’t post a reread review for each individual chapter. But I’ll try and post a full comprehensive one on a chapter I didn’t comment on. Or worse comes to worse, just PM you my review.

Also I noticed that you have occasional spelling mistakes. Its nothing too distracting, but would you like me to point them out to you in a PM?

I’m so glad a fic like this exists. It really is wonderful to read.
12/31/2018 c25 Kashira1786
Oh Lionel, Lex will come home to you eventually. I'm so glad you've focused on Lionel's desperation and worry over Lex. I understand that show tried to use Lionel as a red herring so that Helen's betrayal would have more dramatic effect, but it really robbed us of seeing more of Lionel's concern for Lex.

This line: "I can't stop looking for Lex, he is my son and if he was... if he was... I would know! ... I would know." Man, this line really made me emotional. Lionel can't even face the possibility of Lex dying.

I'm also incredibly curious as to how Clark will be be brought home. Since this time there's no Jonathan to make a deal with Jor-El.
12/30/2018 c25 timeout10sec
Really excited to see that you're still continuing with this story. And what an intense chapter! My guess is that Lionel will find out about the baby as soon as the next chapter. That should prove interesting.
12/29/2018 c24 Kashira1786
I’ve been on a Smallville rewatch and fell in love again with the Lionel/Martha relationship and have since then been desperately searching for some good fic. I normally just read stuff on Archiveofourown these days but I’m incredibly glad I gave a chance again because it allowed me to find this gem. I love how you write Martha, you make her such a real character and I utterly adore her. It’s also been so interesting reading a Mionel fic which starts in season 2. (Of the few existing fics, I usually only like post s5 bc I don’t like reading about infidelity – which if course isnt the case in this AU)

I’m so glad you decided not to kill off the baby. I was worried when Martha chose to go back to the farm and look for Clark, but her conversation with Lionel was enough to delay her so she wasn’t in the blast range. Very clever way of changing that.

I’m so excited for Lionel to eventually find out. And also Clark. Thank you so much for such a wonderful story!
9/19/2018 c24 ADHDrummer
This is probably one of the best fanfics that I’ve read in years. Not only are the characters extremely well written, your writing style really makes it seem like I’m watching the story as an episode. Mionel is probably one of my favorite fanfic pairings and I love what you’ve done with them here. I really hope you update soon because I can’t wait to read the rest.
7/26/2018 c24 justanotherfan9
Wow. Didn’t see that coming. Completely caught off-guard that the baby survived.

Not sure what to make of this development yet. In the context of this universe, for one thing, character motivations are forced to change. For another, I thought if Martha had lost the baby like the show, it’d made it easier to resolve things between Martha and Clark. And also mostly I didn’t like that Martha being pregnant confined her to the role of a house wife and mother in the show. Considering her age, I’d always enjoyed that she finally got to shine for her job in later seasons. With a baby, it’ll be a lot more difficult.

However, what’s interesting here though, is that this further complicates things for characters. Such as Martha and Clark. And potentially Lex and Lionel. I wouldn’t want to miss how this all turns out!
7/22/2018 c24 timeout10sec
That scene between Martha and Lionel is very intense. Everyone’s left broken. I’m glad the baby was spared. I’m intrigued how you’re going to clean up everyone’s mess.
7/20/2018 c23 justanotherfan9
Thanks for still updating this story despite the technical difficulties.

This baby is doomed, isn’t it? But at the same time I can’t help but wonder if it’s a boy or a girl. I’m dreading the next chapter. This also poses an interesting question. Assuming things happens the way it did in the show, would Clark, instead of devastated by the loss of the baby, fly off to Metropolis here angry at his mother for literally sleeping with enemy? Can’t wait to find out Lionel’s reaction.

So, we’re taking the treacherous Helen route then. Interesting. That plot line in the show was such an 180 on Helen’s character.

One thing I’d like to point out, in “Prodigal”, Clark spoke to Lionel and at the end of the conversation, Lionel told Clark to give his regards to his mother. Whether Lionel meant to rile Clark up or his sentiment was genuine (I think both), Clark definitely took it as another of Lionel’s tactic to unsettle him. In any case, I think Clark’s reaction is in character, but initially I thought you meant to reference that scene.

And Martha and Lionel. Please be happy, please.
7/17/2018 c23 timeout10sec
So happy to see notification of this fic in my inbox. Will things be heading towards the same explosive season finale as the show? I'm very intrigued if Helen would end up blackmailing Lionel with the information before Martha could tell him.
6/4/2018 c22 Guest
Great story! Any chance for an update?
77 Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »