for Leaning On You

10/15/2018 c12 69cmr2014
Executive orders.
You know what? He did it for all the right reasons, but Lincoln was probably the biggest abuser of authority of his time.

"...if they couldn't find a body..."
Rule 1 of crime drama and soap operas - they're not dead unless you see the body, and sometimes not even then.

"Steven Grant Rogers..."
If you play with his initials just slightly, you can make him a Stargate series - "Stargate: SG-R".

*grin* Bucky, Nat, and Sam - also known as Moe, Larry, and Curly.
No, seriously, that's who their banter reminds me of.
10/14/2018 c11 cmr2014
This was awesome!
10/14/2018 c10 cmr2014
"Hey. How're you doing?"
Tell him. TELL HIM! He asked, so tell him the actual truth of how you're doing!
That's why I don't like to use that greeting. If I tell the truth, eyes glaze over and excuses are made to get away. Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer.
I *do* know Barton is asking in genuine wanting of the truth here, so no jumping on me, please.

"He's a big boy. He can handle it."
YES! THIS! More people need to be big boys. Get a thicker skin. Seriously, being friends does not require me to do nothing but agree with you or praise you. If I fail to call or DM - dude, there is stuff to be done - like say, work? Put some salve on those hurt feelings, assume I'm a little more mature than to be ignoring you in some kind of sulking huff, and just trust me, and I will trust you.
Sorry, that just hit a nerve.

"And he'd be happy to see you safe."
This is what it's about. Friendship tries not to do hurtful things, as Wanda worried about, and friendship rises above trivial nonsense, as Steve will be more concerned with her well-being and less with any reminders.
8/26/2018 c9 cmr2014
"Go fish."
Yahtzee!
My niece and I played a game of War one time and wound up just quitting because after 3 hours it still had not ended.

"...barely able to stand, wincing as he tried to take a step."
Sounds like me after I met the dad of this one girl I dated. "C'mon, champ, go a few rounds with me." Afterward - "This is me just meeting you. Think of what I'll do if you break her heart."

It was *almost* a sweet ending. You just had to go and drop the bomb at the very end. You lured me in, then you lazed your mark and dropped payload right on the "aww, how sweet!" moment. Now I'll never believe another happy moment you write, I'll always be expecting an ambush. *prepares to probe next chapter for tripwires*
7/9/2018 c21 4PrincessStarberry
I love this story-I found it Saturday night and have just finished to this point (it's Monday morning, and I didn't read at all yesterday). There is so much to love-the characterizations are spot on imo, I love seeing all the relationships, romantic and platonic, and your use of humor is well placed. I'm excited to read more, and will definitely follow and fave! :D
6/24/2018 c8 69cmr2014
"She wondered..."
Sometimes communication is best. But sometimes - things are tougher without it, but when you don't know who to trust, the left hand staying separate from the right hand can be good for safety.
Also, it's Stark, he tends to just go off and do whatever just by nature.

It's my opinion that *life* isn't a fun business. Oh, sure, it's often enjoyable - especially if things ultimately go the way I want (at some point it's gonna be hello, barbecue with Ms. Right) - but given how easy it is for things to go wrong, basic security habits are a must for me. Look both ways if you don't wanna get hit by a car, take corners wide if you don't wanna get knocked down by running into somebody (or get jumped), keep your computer stuff safe if you don't want it compromised, so on. Watch those emergency exits, never know when there'll be an emergency. It's a bunch of simple stuff to do, and therein lies the problem, it's easy to forget, but the more you forget the more you leave yourself open to the odds of trouble finding you. (A little rule I was taught - "Don't look for trouble. It's already looking for you.")

"Try to get to Barnes. Save him..."
Nah, man, I saw "Platoon". Barnes done fragged m'boy Elias (not technically, he shot him, but the principle's the same), just let him burn.

I am *so* tempted to make a joke about them teaming up to meddle in the Wakandan election. But I'll be nice.
6/9/2018 c20 yo pal yo buddi
this is bs omg wow you seriously just put a line about steve baming himsef for bucky's issues? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW ok then lemme just be depressed lol

but fo real good chapter and also oops i should be reviewing every one of them but oh well maybe later I'M ALMOST CAUGHT UP YAY
5/21/2018 c21 JonesyB79
Great update. Loved the guys ribbing each other. It’s nice their having some fun for a change.
5/21/2018 c21 Guest
Great update. Love the teasing among the boys.
5/14/2018 c21 17DarylDixon'sLover
Great chapter
5/6/2018 c20 anambecerra
Love the whole story! I really hope you continue it. Congratulations on your amazing writing.
4/4/2018 c7 69cmr2014
So many pieces in play. But instead of a controlling player, it feels as if each piece is sentient and can only see its own square.
4/4/2018 c6 cmr2014
Excellent advice.
3/12/2018 c5 cmr2014
"Chess was one of the less violent ones."
*Physically* less violent. But if you look at what it represents, and how it teaches you to think, it's actually incredibly violent in its mindset. If you look at how many pieces are sacrificed in a typical game of chess - stop and think that each piece represents people, entire units...it can be necessary, but also reduces humanity to objects, an ideal which should never fully be obtained. When you successfully kill targets instead of people, you have lost something important.

You wrote what might be the most fascinating paragraph I can remember reading. I'll really have to process that one. Thanks.

"...it wouldn't seem as though a simple story would be a big deal."
There's a lot in this sentence, too.
I mean, stories generally aren't big deals. Unless they're memories. Then they can be *very* big deals.
Some people you need to keep an eye on. Not in the stupid "time-bomb" stereotype, but just to keep them anchored to a healthier state. When a guy's relating something and starts to drift away, just give him a little friendly tap. "Come on back, man." Help him keep the doors shut.
Then too, sometimes just talking is a big deal. I remember the place I am now, the first time I actually joined in a conversation, I'd been there somewhere around a year. "Holy crap, Nick talked! Did you know he could talk?" Some people, how much they talk, how relaxed they are with conversation or telling stories, that can tell you a lot about them. I don't talk much unless I'm very comfortable around the people I'm talking with.

One of my favorite therapies is shooting. Most people don't get it. Vets generally do. Not all of them, but a good number. What works for some doesn't work for others. But it's my take that everyone responds to something. It's just a matter of finding it.

I love the passage of time here. Silence. People are too attached to talking without saying anything.

Such a fantastic chapter!
3/11/2018 c4 cmr2014
Recluse does seem to be Tony's solution to things he can't deal with.

Familiarity with the times has little to do with things such as integrity and character. Tech changes, times change - here, this says it best -
"Out of every one hundred men -
Ten shouldn't even be there;
Eighty are just targets;
Nine are the real fighters
And we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle;
Ah, but the one -
One is a warrior,
And he will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus
Tony is competent and capable. He has the brains.
But Steve just has that indefinable thing that some men have had in every age, the soul of the warrior. To put it in old-salt lingo, he's got the grit to stand it. He doesn't just fight, he remembers *why* they fight.

"There weren't too many of them around in this day and age, not real ones."
In any day and age, in my experience.

"...mostly over shared regrets."
Bad times have a way of bonding people that good times don't. That's one of my favorite things about the movie "McLintock!", the reminiscences back to the early days of McLintock and Katherine, when they were a young married couple struggling through adversity. If you choose to hang together, adversity strengthens your bonds.
Also in "The Cowboys", turning those boys into young men.
There's something about having chewed dirt that yields a certain something in common, even if it's not the same dirt. It's a "you get it or you don't" thing that is hard to explain. Real recognizes real.

"He wouldn't admit it..."
That's one of the nice things about the character of Tony. There's a lot underneath the surface.
With Steve, what you see is what you get.
With Tony - Tony, I think, sort of hides his better qualities. I'm not sure why, perhaps he somehow fears the harshness of the world would crush them.

"...when at every turn there waited a fallback..."
This is life. It will tell you no. Repeatedly. It will smack you down. Repeatedly. How many times you get up and drive on is on you. What is your mission, and how resolved are you to execute it? Questions one can only answer for oneself.

"For once, there was someone who hadn't broken his promises."
I think I said this in another review, but it's worth repeating - the only ones I owe my loyalty to are the ones who never made me question theirs.
"But Nick, how do you trust anyone that way?" It's a cycle. Watch for those who display worthy traits - potential, if you will - and stand with them. Sometimes you will get burned. That's the risk of good virtues such as trust and loyalty.
But it was done for me, and the best way to honor that is to do it for others.
When someone is at a crossroads - the right person standing with them unyieldingly can make all the difference in determining which path they take and what kind of man they choose to be.

I've always liked that Tony called Jarvis's - replacement sound harsh, but I can't think of what else it is - F.R.I.D.A.Y. Even though it's an abbreviation, it reminds me so much of "His Girl Friday". Which I still bet is exactly what Tony was thinking.

"He left his apartment after Fury "died" there. That, and one wall was completely ruined."
I LOVE THIS! Great little comedic beat amidst all the seriousness.

"Bruce and Thor had fallen off the grid."
They're arguing over who's more like a fire.

No matter how much you reconcile it, I'm not sure you ever completely rid yourself of the sense that it's your fault.
This is another part of life. For some, every day is a battle just to live. Some are easier, some harder, but you gotta fight through. The alternative is surrender to despair, and that is NO way to live. Fight through.

There is a hard question here. Perhaps several. To pursue Steve's mission of redemption. To take up their own of punishment.
What is right? Amidst the unknowns swirling, it's hard to say. In their position and understanding, either option is understandable.
This is what sucks about life, there are no perfect outcomes. You just have to make your choice best you can, and live with what comes of it. Pobody's nerfect and all that.
72 Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »