for I'm Not Sick

7/13/2017 c5 19Robin0203
I love it! Please update soon!
7/6/2017 c4 Guest
I'm looking forward to see how things deteriorate for Ryan physically, which means opening the door for powerful, touching interactions and gains for Ryan and Sandy emotionally.
7/3/2017 c4 Guest
Considering that about 36,000 people supposedly die annually in the U.S. from the flu or complications from the flu, something like a bad cold or the flu, or pneumonia, treated or not, can be very serious. It's a glaring reason that makes things so much different for Ryan besides the obvious that with Dawn or anyone he'd been with before, related to him by biology or passing through and despising him, wouldn't have done anything for him and would have made anything worse, adding neglect and probably injuries because he'd be more vulnerable and they'd be more angry.

It's really reassuring to have Sandy break a cycle of abuse and neglect and blame for Ryan and start to build what he's never had or known firsthand. It's okay for him to need something and not worry about repercussions. He's never been wanted and to be wanted despite being sick or hurt and not earning some kind of tolerance is proof that Sandy has nothing to gain and can't be using Ryan for some agenda. He only wants to help Ryan when before people were about causing and prolonging pain. That has to be a lot for Ryan to really trust, although he's already trusted Sandy when things were at their worst for him and he had nowhere to turn. Now he might not be fully understanding the emotions at work for Sandy, especially so soon and because of what his life has taught him repeatedly and because he's not feeling well and isn't processing as he usually would. I guess one question is how straightforward can he be with Sandy if he really is doing well and Sandy can only guess so much without x-ray vision as a special power and if Ryan wonders how far will be too far. For Sandy, the question could be how surprised he is that his life has been changed so much so quickly and he hasn't been aware. Being in a position to have to worry about Ryan, someone who didn't exist at all for him until recently, raises a lot of questions and feelings about their bond and what life would be like without him.

Thanks for as much of Ryan and Sandy's connection as you've included so far. Looking forward to more.
7/3/2017 c4 Guest
I wish I had more time, but thanks for now.

i hope that you're not in any rush. Just reading the last sentence above has me thinking there's worse for Ryan and he's going to need Sandy to help him face what is just beginning. Ryan's not a whiner or a complainer and definitely hasn't ever gotten positive attention. Knowing that he can count on Sandy is important. If Ryan is seriously sick, Sandy could start to realize that he's more attached to Ryan than he knew and that Ryan means more already than he guessed. Being faced with seeing someone you care about suffering or the idea of possibly losing them would add a whole new dimension and only cement ties more strongly. It would mean Sandy would have to even more open about his feelings and Ryan would have to experience how very different life away from the ones who hurt and abandoned him could be.

7/2/2017 c4 Guest
I wish I had more time, but thanks for now.

7/1/2017 c4 Guest
Poor Ryan would stumble to school in a haze of pain and misery if someone didn't stop him. Before, he would have faced the wrath of whoever was in the house drinking and enjoying whatever drugs or whatever extracurricular activities. That made school a better option for many reasons.

I'm glad that Sandy is being low key about staying with Ryan and letting Ryan know that he's the priority and taking care of him. He's not guilting Ryan from keeping him for someone or things that are "more important." Secretly, Sandy has to look forward to spending time alone with Ryan and doing what he's never had the chance to do for him as a very young child who would have been dependent completely. On the other hand, he doesn't want it to come at the expense of Ryan being sick and not feeling well and being upset at being vulnerable if he's inconveniencing them. At least Sandy has cleared that up so Ryan isn't feeling the guilt that has been poured and forced on him forever. Also, at least part of Sandy has to wonder and worry at why Ryan is sick because of all that he doesn't know about him and his history. He can't just assume and rule things out like with Seth and Ryan downplays everything. Also, Ryan probably just lives in the moment as always and that means hoping for the "just a cold" scenario for the minimal. Not having to deal alone is a major difference, especially in a new place with new people and not wanting to require anything. But if it is more, Ryan will need more and this time someone will be worried or scared and concerned for the right reasons.

I'm glad that you're a fan of Ryan and Sandy time. Best dynamic and relationship.
6/30/2017 c4 Guest
I'm so glad to see more. I was trying to read this earlier, but had no access, which was beyond frustrating. Now I'm rushing, so there's no time to really comment. However, having Sandy concerned about Ryan and teaching and showing him that and that Ryan's important to him is great to see. I'm picking up hints that Ryan's sicker than a typical cold. I'm also sure that he's had to deal with so much worse before. I'm just glad that Sandy's here with him.

6/29/2017 c4 Robin0203
I love Sandy and Ryan, so adorable
6/29/2017 c4 Guest
Why do I think Ryan's last thought is way off target and there's a lot more about to come and going on? He's always had to try to handle everything and somehow has. The Atwoods were lucky that one of them or one of their nasty group didn't kill him or have something happen to Ryan that they couldn't hide, ignore or lie away to explain. Now, at least Ryan has Sandy and Sandy is watching closely, so whatever might be going on, there's that. Also, Sandy being with Ryan to help him and showing him what's possible and what should be normal can only make their relationship stronger and be a way for Sandy to share things with Ryan and Ryan learn about Sandy while Sandy learns about Ryan and sees him as more of a son than a kid in his house who he happens to feel a connection to.

Keep bringing it and don't hold back!
6/29/2017 c4 Guest
Everyone needs TLC and extra TLC when sick or hurt. Ryan has a whole rotten life of no TLC, the total opposite instead, to make up for. He really needs and deserves it now. There's a difference between smothering someone and making things worse and knowing what's the right amount. So far, Sandy gets high marks. He's setting the stage for being more trusted and someone Ryan will turn to when and if things get worse and Ryan and Sandy are scared or need extra assurance. It's wonderful to see that Sandy doesn't hesitate and Ryan can put aside all of the ways he's suffered to be accepting and not just because he's miserable and exhausted.

Thanks!
6/29/2017 c4 Guest
Thanks! I can't wait for the next chapter.
6/29/2017 c4 Guest
I'm all about Ryan and Sandy and that unique connection. I'm also all about Ryan getting some positive attention and actually having people recognize that he matters and deserves to be worried about and cared about. People should want to spend time with him, not just use him, hurt him, neglect him, or kick him to the curb. Having someone to rely on for once is crucial, so I like seeing that play out.

I don't know what's really going on with Ryan. Are you stopping with a bad case of the flu or wasn't Ryan given the proper shots when he should have been so he could have something no one expects? Other options like mono, appendicitis if he really ends up with that kind of pain, or even meningitis if he has a nasty fever could get really dicey, but only you know what might be on the horizon. For now, I'm basking in Ryan and Sandy having some quality time and Sandy showing Ryan that there can be unconditional kindness and Ryan doesn't have to feel guilty for wasting someone's time. It's a crucial step in a crucial relationship.

Thanks again.
6/29/2017 c4 Guest
Yeah, I'm thinking so not a cold. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but in the meantime, I like Sandy reinforcing that he wants to take care of Ryan and do for him because he cares, because he knows Ryan has never had anyone take care of him and look out for him, only hurt him and guilt him. If someone really cares, then a part of that is wanting to do all that's possible to comfort and help someone in need. In this case, it's a way of making a special bond stronger, and it all started under duress at their first meeting. If there's anyone Ryan feels less worried about being vulnerable around, it's Sandy.

I do wonder what could be going on with Ryan, whether it starts with the flu and what's coming to make things worse. Worse for him is better for us!
6/26/2017 c3 daleaikman
Great story so far. Love to read about how the family loves each other. Can't wait to read what happens.
6/24/2017 c3 Guest
With the nasty, crazy not a healthcare bill exploding on the scene, I was thinking about kids like Ryan even more and how they'd go from being at risk and falling through the cracks too often as it is to having nowhere to turn in the very near future. Obviously, Ryan's time in hell with the Atwoods and that whole gang was pre ACA, to make things even more hopeless for him. Sandy would understand, but I don't know how much Kirsten, and definitely not Seth would get how vulnerable and in jeopardy Ryan would have been if and when he was sick or hurt. If he was hurt, it was close to 100% likely that one of the Atwoods was directly or indirectly the cause with one of them abusing him or letting someone, or due to neglect when he was very young or leading to a partial accident. No one wanted to be blamed or draw attention to being responsible for hurting him or neglecting him, so that meant not having him treated, and that's assuming they cared about him at all. Nothing short of a dead baby or child might get them to do something to help, and only by lying and keeping prying eyes out of the house or more criminal activity, like drug use and selling would be an issue. Also, Ryan couldn't get medical attention without an adult, so back to having no one caring, sober, or inconvenienced, or all of the above. The only kind of insurance he'd have would be a CHP kind of Medicaid and that would mean limits on where and the quality of care too. Anything about being sick or hurt would have been like an obstacle course that was impossible to get through. Putting that together now with all of the emotional and psychological components and dynamics of being in new surroundings and uncertain of pretty much everything as he encounters it is one very complicated set of circumstances for him to comprehend. The poor kid doesn't have a crystal ball and can only go on his past experiences and what he's lived in the short time with the Cohens and how each of them have reacted to him from the start and what patterns have been consistent. I definitely hope Sandy stays consistent. He's the one who made the decision to offer help to Ryan, offered to do more when Kirsten wouldn't, saying "if it was up to me," and has forged the bond. Being a guardian is more than a legal responsibility, but that's the most basic part and that first means keeping Ryan safe and healthy. It would be very hard to saddle Ryan with the extra weight of being the one to make Kirsten feel better instead of so uncomfortable and at arm's length. At the best of times, that's her job as the adult to fix what she started so he can respond more freely in kind, and it's beyond unfair to expect a sick kid to do that work when he's never been alone with her in any positive circumstances.

No easy answers for the best dilemmas and the most realistic. Sure, it's not about torturing Ryan for some sadistic reason, but getting people to realize that he's a person who has been through a lot, expects nothing, and needs some attention for a change is important. The point is to give him at least some kind of time and value and show some warmth and concern while taking into account his background to make gains and help him. Win-win potential to acknowledge that he means something to them and that losing him to illness or Social Services or any injury or anything isn't an option. That's the real payoff.

Thanks for the story so far and for writing about Ryan/The O.C.
101 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »