for Miss Saigon: An Unauthorized Novelization

7/7/2017 c1 11Firelord Lionheart
I saw the filmed version and am going to see the musical again live on Broadway for my birthday. Oddly enough, I just watched a bunch of Vietnam War movies too. I feel you could really make this work, but I do have a few issues. Things were moving too fast. It's a lot of tell, and not much show. A little more description as Kim fled from her village would have been nice, as well as some background of her experiences with the war. I mean, does she have any opinion on Ho Chi Minh? Who attacked the village, the North (by 1975, the US ceased combat operations there)? Were the Americans rude to her beforehand? Did the NVA attack her village during the Tet Offensive of 1968? Perhaps include a little bit about Thuy betraying the South and joining the Vietcong or even the NVA. Then her being overwhelmed by the fast-paced atmosphere of Saigon until being picked up by the Engineer. I know it's nitpicky, but Marine is always capitalized; they're very proud of their title.

When it comes to Vietnam and the war, I believe Kim's faith had been shaken years prior. Both the communists and the "democrats" had brought her and her people nothing but misery and she's got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing she'll ever do... ten points if you get the joke there.

Anyway, looking forward for more.
6/30/2017 c1 28Leia 96
Oh, this is wonderful! You're such a talented writer, and I really hope you're planning to continue this story! I will definitely read it :)

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service