for Betting the Farm

10/5/2020 c1 Guest
Uhhhhhh, that was unexpected.
2/16/2020 c1 fandomroleplayer7633
When I read this, I felt completely bad for Stu and Judy.
5/21/2018 c1 32Noctus Fury
Carp! That was depressing. Yet it was a great read. Very well written and very emotional.

Eh, that's fine. There's too many romantic fanfics for WildeHopps anyways. There needs to be more bloody platonic fics around here. The whole OTP thing is starting to get old because 96% of Zootopia fans do it whenever they do WildeHopps.

If that's the case, then I don't know how much longer the Midwest will be called the "breadbasket".

Thanks again for writing this and for sharing. Thank you for spending some of your time for contributing. We, the readers, appreciate it. :-)

- Noctus
1/21/2018 c1 10MovedToA03
Pun in the name “one shot”
9/14/2017 c1 Guthix
For a farm hick you sure did a damn good job writing this story. You better write a short series with our favorite ship; I've read the rest of the good stories. Cheers, and thanks for the realistic tale!
6/25/2017 c1 3Agent-007.1
Not to sound like a Climate change denier, but forget that crap. Farming is an industry, dude.

I live on a family farm that was established in 1912. That's over 100 years! And we just closed down and sold it to someone else. Why?

It doesn't matter where you live, how good the weather is, or the success of the harvest. Unless you have a good set up with the right companies or have some serious acreage, you will not last in this day and age.

It's not supply and demand anymore. It's supply, and decided what the industry wants to sell it for.

I recently read that there was about 100 or so farming families in Ohio that recently quit because that couldn't compete anymore.

The fact is, most Americans don't give a care about farmers.
6/25/2017 c1 45DSLeo
Grew up on a farm in Appalachia. By 1950, you needed a full-time job at not-farming to keep your farm going. Then... someone sells off 400 acres for a housing development for city folks The water table plummets. The creek dries up. Your well pulls up mud if there's a dry spell. Suddenly, you are scrambling to get a handful of acres to feed your family b/c the not-farm work disappeared, you're working two-three part-time jobs and trying to live off what you grow and hunt, and people look down their noses at you. "Just get a college degree, just do this, just do that". Yeah, with what money? You rent pasture if you can. You sell hay maybe. Soon you see that your nejighbor gets more by *not* farming because they switched to whichever crop the government decided we don't need, and he rents his field to someone raising something else, and you're watching major monoculture companies testing new varieties next door, and you're praying your crops don't get messed up by the alien pollen... Then you have a bee die-off, an early warm spell followed by a too-hard freeze, and ther egoes your orchard for the year, and you have to hand-pollinate a garden that used to be a farm but is now just feeding you and your kids... You start praying they find oil or gas under your land, if you have mineral rights to it, even tho' it kills the farm, b/c hey, at least it's income...

Yeah. My uncle looked at the familiy farm and said, "I'll sell the hay, focus on feeding us, and put in rainwater collection cisterns, and the orchard will just have to feed the deer, and I'll hunt them and sell venison..."

This hit hard and close to home, as you can tell. *sigh* I think the hardest day of my grandfather's life was when he had to get a full-time job to keep being a farmer, long ago, and it never left him that he had to do that.
6/24/2017 c1 Guest
In over his head. Happens to good, honest, hard-working people all the time. Shame he didn't see any other way out though.

I also wonder if Nick had enough stashed away to help (and will help). If only Stu had reached out for help. Pride sometimes makes a shallow hole deeper.

Both my grandparents were farmers. It's a tough life with little room for error when a series of events like those described here happens.
6/24/2017 c1 47Wildebunny the Eternal
Not sure what to think, part of me thinks Stu's decisions are very misguided.

I don't think Stu would be that stupid.

Stu's past somewhat ambiguous decisions left them in this current state, so it's suddenly about depression and tragedy. I think something got lost in the plot because the scenario is rather unlikely and implausible. Something should have stopped them before they got into unpayable debt.