for The Changing Skies

6/26/2019 c1 18SolarSolstice
I wish stories like this would come up more on Reddit. I really like it. Thank you for sharing.
4/12/2019 c1 23Danny Barefoot
Interesting and thoughtful, the work behind small changes and their important symbolism was worth writing about. I'm reminded of another fanfic suggesting that Durmstrang is less open to Muggles due to history with the Soviet Bloc countries. Possibly 'neat idea' and 'pussing contest' are too casual for Dumbledore, he's characteristicly mindful, as well as insightful, in the rest of the story.
2/5/2018 c1 72MissScorp
Hi there! I was browsing your profile and saw this intriguing piece. I absolutely love the way you explore the sky in the Great Hall of Hogwarts and have it be something that Dumbledore was the manipulator of. His internal wondering about ((Was he doing the right thing?)) plays well and shows us a Dumbledore who is still finding his stride as the Headmaster. Granted, he's already made changes that have caused waves but he's used to stirring the pot and upsetting the purists.

I liked the way he compared what he was doing to the starry sky in the Great Hall and how people might feel about what he's doing to how he would feel if someone altered ((Van Gogh's Starry Night in a similar manner,)). That ((he would consider it vandalism.)) to destroy such a lovely piece of work shows his reverence to things like art. He does see what he does as being on the borderline of vandalism but does it anyway, knowing the sky needs to adapt to suit the changing astrological landscape. Evolution of theories and practices occurs even at Hogwarts and he's not going to get in the way of it.

That you set this during the time of ((Sputnik)) and are having Dumbledore acknowledge how this ((was the first human object to orbit the Earth and would get a place to mark the achievement)) really shows his appreciation for the muggle worked and what they have accomplished. Sure, the wizarding world could build something similar and launch it into space without the mug goes knowing, but they hadn't. Muggles created this rocket that orbited the planet and showed what the world (or heavens) looked like from space.

This was a really imaginative piece in all that captured so many elements of who Dumbledore is and how he perceives the world of juggles and wizards. His acknowledgement of how muggles and wizards died in the world wars and would die from other calamities shows how integrated the two worlds are despite the wizarding world trying to remain separate. Excellent job!
1/30/2018 c1 1heatherxenia
That was fun! I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of history, social commentary, sciene and fantasy/majic.
11/19/2017 c1 2k+Hawki
So, in of itself, the writing aside, love the core idea behind this. It’s the kind of thing I could see Dumbledore doing. As for the writing, it’s pretty decent. It feels like it goes off on tangents sometimes…sort of. Mixed thoughts on the whole Cold War thing, because it’s undoubtedly relevant to Sputnik being launched, but kind of detracts from Sputnik itself, if that makes sense. Less a “hey, let’s look at what those muggles did” and more “this is the what the world was like in the 50s, and it affects the Wizarding World in this manner.”

But, pretty decent. And as I said, love the idea behind it.
9/28/2017 c1 2Roseathorn3
This is amazing! I love the idea of Wizards noticing Muggle achievements. That Dumbeldor wants the castle to show the true night sky, is very in character. That he modified it so it would be visible, was a surprise. I would think he'd go for accuracy over show casing Muggles first steps into space. His reasoning makes sense, it just surprised me. All is all a beautifully written piece!
9/4/2017 c1 6arianedartagnan
This is such a creative idea! I never thought about how the advent of space exploration would affect the Great Hall's ceiling.

I really liked Dumbledore's musings on what the founders would have thought of Sputnik, in particular Ravenclaw and Slytherin. They feel very in character.

I also love the ending - I also really want to know whether the students notice his addition and what they think of it. I can just imagine the arguments between the Houses after someone points out the change...