for Gods Will Drowse

6/9/2019 c1 7Cate Wolfe
Very good! These two aren't written about enough, and you're a master at picking the right details to place the reader in the scene. I particularly like the rhythms of your sentences.
6/18/2018 c1 Guest
You can rely on Feanorians to provide snark and hurtful quips and stubborn defiance and sugarcoat nothing, in fact sprinkle everything with bitterness and burn for good measure. And you wrote it really well. I liked Caranthir's interpretation of rain, little flashback into moments with Nerdanel,
And that song, yes, it is good.
10/31/2017 c1 10Laerthel
Thank you for the usual - nevertheless wonderful - reading experience! This piece is so precious for many reasons... and one of them is the fact that you started off simply by writing "After". Because yeah. In medias res. It just... it just settles the mood perfectly, it just helps me jump into Caranthir's POV perfectly, because if anyone, than HE would permit himself to conclude the whole bloody Nirnaeth with a simple "after"... it's like the first line of a logbook after an uncharacteristically large break, where perhaps an apology should have been placed for not keeping up with recent happenings...
Yeah.

I love Caranthir's commentaries, and the dynamic between him and Maglor. I don't know if that was conscious but Maglor here is forced into a situation where he can't hide behind his usual elegance and loftiness; the fact that he has trouble speaking, trouble breathing, trouble even staying alive - well, that brings up his rawer, cruder nature, which - as we have concluded some time ago - is not that VERY far from Caranthir's. This is a wistful way to bring said similarities out... the dynamics between these two stubborn creatures is just overwhelmingly interesting. You captured that really well.

I love the enjambements in dialogue - again, due to Maglor's state. Clever. And yes, I will call them enjambements, in French, because I don't know this word in any other language, and because their function here is actually not that far from poetry... They "artificially" create a situation where it's just too easy to miss the other's point, where it's just too easy to search hidden meanings for words, or interpret them in different ways ("...Maglor is wounded, after all - is it the pain speaking or something else?"), and it's just very curious to witness how the dialogue would fall to a thousand pieces if not for some strange kind of unspoken accord, some hidden treaty of mutual misunderstanding that keeps it together.

I love-love-love-love (did I mention love?) the part about Caranthir scrubbing his skin red! And the part about Maedhros riding off to his doom! And 'the attempted sharpness cracking Maglor's voice' Wow!

Anyway, there are countless amazing details in this. The only thing slightly bugging me is the concept of 'gods' and the usage of the word within Arda, though lately (mostly because there are just too many amazing quotes using the word 'gods', which I would perhaps like to use some day...) I've been wondering if certain sons of Feanor could have picked up such a concept from the Easterlings...

This is not my most useful review, but I'm really happy that you shared this, and I thank you for it!
10/9/2017 c1 14Elenluin
I absolutely love it - both in a foul mood, and equally disappointed in how the events went. Great job!
10/8/2017 c1 112AzureSkye23
This *is* a very interesting duo here, and I think this is the first fic I've read where Maglor (or any of the Fëanorionnath) is fairly badly wounded in the Nirnaeth. (which is a shame) Your language and imagery is fantastic as always, but the commentary on Divine Inaction is fascinating. I think you've nailed how Maglor and Caranthir would see it, and how they would differ. You've also pulled out that fascinating tidbit about how the one time Caranthir tries to be inclusive, it backfires in his face. (To evil end shall all things turn that they begin well, after all...)

I found it *utter fascinating* how Caranthir describes the Nirnaeth as seeing if they pulled their weight if the Valar would do something. I'd never even imagined that any of the Noldor, much less on of the Fëanorians, would believe that the Valar would interfere. But it just feels so *right* for him to do so, and to realize here, that 'no they're not, and we've lost because they won't, or can't'. Its remarkably clearsighted, and yet it was so un-clearsighted that he would ever think the Valar might...and it just fits. I'm rambling here, but hopefully I'm conveying what I want to convey.

And of course, Maglor's comment that it's the Noldolantë not 'the Valar hate us' is perfect, and fits Maglor quite well. He's the one who seems to take the most of the guilt as 'personal', it fits him beautifully that he's going to say it was really all their fault in the end.

And I can't get Caranthir's question out of my head: what did the Valar expect of them? To walk the path they had chosen, I suppose...
10/6/2017 c1 24Galad Estel
Oooh, nice! I really liked this piece. I've always thought there could be an interesting relationship between Maglor and Caranthir, the "softest" and "harshest" of the seven brothers. I also liked how Caranthir cloaked his feelings of guilt with bitterness. And the rain. I thought it was almost a character on its own. :) Great work.