for Through the Dark Clouds shining (English version)

9/11/2018 c81 Guest
I believe that this is the best Anne-world story that I have ever read, and I have read boatloads of them. Thank you so much for the effort that went into producing it.
9/11/2018 c81 8Catiegirl
Congratulations of a wonderful ending, and a wonderful story- you’ve opened my eyes up to some many facets of the war that I never saw or understood before. Thank you for the journey, and the time and trouble it must have taken to translate into English- I appreciate it so much! I loved the way you left Rilla and Ken, and their little Stomach Bug, I will think of that with definite fondness! Thank you again, and well done!
9/11/2018 c81 14elizasky
Congratulations!

This story has been a delight these past ten months and I will miss your enviably regular posting. I'm so glad that you decided to translate this into English and admire your persistence in writing so much even back when you were writing for smaller audiences. If you ever want to translate or rework any of your other back-catalogue stories, I will be eager to read them!

Thank you so much for sharing your research and your interpretation of these characters with us. From the very beginning, you made some bold choices (Father Walter! Dead Jerry!) with thought-provoking results. The simple decision to age all the characters up four years had so many implications for what their lives were like and what they did during the war - it made me much more attentive to thinking about *why* LMM made the kids the ages they were for Rilla of Ingleside (since she basically rearranged the whole chronology of the series to make Rilla born in 1899). On a personal note, thank you for Shirley and Carl, and also thanks for lesbian Di - I know we came to that independently, but it was very validating for me to see that that reading of Di made sense to other people as well.

As for this chapter specifically, you do lovely things with silver lining/stars/dawn as Rilla and Ken approach Canada. You know I have no love for Ken in general, but I will grudgingly admit that your Ken is a decent fellow and I could be persuaded to like someone who loves Rilla as a competent adult, rather than as an ideal of virginal girlhood. His belief in her and his support of her plan is wonderful, as is his desire to assist veterans, so I will grit my teeth and say "Well done, Ken." (Also, I am mirroring your stethoscope laugh with a free clinic laugh of my own. If you ever get around to Mary Parkman, you will see why.)

One thing that stood out to me in this chapter was the breadth of the possibilities open to Rilla and Ken. They both weigh some vastly different options and can see value in some very disparate possible futures. Rilla shows real maturity here in balancing what she wants to do with her knowledge of her own limitations and being gentle with herself not feeling dissatisfied when choosing one option means letting go of another. Maybe when Persis is done with her traveling, she and Rilla can sit down and collaborate on a book of practical home health advice - not as preachy as Morgan, but based on the sorts of common problems Rilla might encounter in her public health clinic.

Thank you again for your wonderful writing, your unfailing generosity, and your exemplary research! Looking forward to the next adventure (especially Carl). I'll be watching my inbox!
9/11/2018 c81 12LadyDerora
I would really like a sequel. There aren’t many Rilla and ken stories & this one is a rare gem. I would like to eee it continue. It’s been blast to read.
9/11/2018 c81 18Alinyaalethia
It feels right to end here on a boat. We started with one, with Betty and Polly and Rilla setting off for the great unknown. She wasn’t looking for romance ,like Polly, and she didn’t much care for the thought of children. To my mind, that was Betty. You’ve arked Rilla gloriously from that girl to this, looking out at the horizon, Ken at her side, her child itself a looming thought.

The plans for the future are solid ones. Rilla was always an organiser, and rallying her to a cause feels earned. I share a pang with MacIver about her surgical skill, but between risch-rasch and assorted flashback associations, I wondered even as I read how you would ever get her into a theatre. It would be a grand story, no doubt, but this is better. She went into nursing, after all, not to become a nurse, but to outdo her sister’s in some particular. It feels now as if in coming into her own, she’s taking her place among them, and in the best way possible.

I especially love what you say about needing bricks-and-mortar people to realise dreams. This castle spinner appreciates that all too well. It was a lovely passage among many lovely passages, and very true to the people you have written.

I’m looking forward to where you go next, of course, and you know I’ll crop up like a bad penny. But don’t leave me waiting *too* long on the adventures of Collette in Toronto, yes? It’s your fault I’m not quite ready to relinquish this world. You built it well.
9/11/2018 c81 10Excel Aunt
Before I say anything, I loved "a kaleidoscope of grays". It's sort of how I feel about this last update, with it being the last. A kaleidoscope tends to be such a colorful and happy device, but "gray" as a color? Just a wonderful contrast underscoring the reflective feeling Ken and Rilla demonstrate about the war, surviving it, and what's next.

I'm split on how I feel, to be honest. Your book has been a wonderful read, and definitely something I've looked forward to every Tuesday and Friday, so, I'm sad that it's over. Yet, at the same time, I'm absolutely thrilled about your accomplishment. You wrote a very detailed and historically accurate account of WWI and repurposed LMM characters with much intelligence as well. Not only that, you wrote it in your native tongue (German) and translated it into English for a brand new audience. That is very impressive to me as it sounds so tedious. I know it was a labor of love, but it was labor!

And then you leave these beloved characters on such a positive, benevolent note. Ken is really very modern for his time. I just loved that fact that he makes Rilla tell him if she actually wants medical school. "We'll make it happen if that's what you want." He's such a generous man and it's fabulous that he wants to be involved with Rilla's career aspirations. As much as they're going to love little bug, I think Ken is correct she's not going to be happy just being 'wife' and 'mother' when there is so much more out there that she can do to contribute to the good of mankind.

And she has every reason to want to continue that. You show so wonderfully how the war has molded her thoughts. She has lived a lifetime in a few short years. She carries with her many accomplishments and many phobias from this time. She is changed and so is Ken. I think her focusing on educating the public and connecting health care providers to patients is an excellent way for her to stay in the game. And it's nice to read that Ken is supportive of her dreams just as she is supportive of his.

Although, I had a good chuckle at her plan to get out of more operating theatre nursing. She's learned how to be sneaky too.

I personally find one of your very best qualities as a writer is the development of so many original characters. Each OC was nuanced to be slightly different than the last. They all had their own voice and brain.

Congratulations on your hard work, in English this time, and I anxiously look forward to the next story.
9/9/2018 c50 Guest
This was a very wise decision, for Rilla to decide for her and Ken to have their honeymoon in the hometown of Gallou, by the sea, that reminds her of home and with the presence and company of Gallou's family who are just like he had described them to Rilla when she was nursing him !
9/9/2018 c49 Guest
It would only be normal for Ken and Rilla to spent part of their wedding night, speaking of what Rilla is going to do after those two weeks.

I don't think I like this idea either, just like Ken, of Rilla going to work in a U-Boat, under the sea. Because, the sea can be a very dangerous place, not only with the bombs, the mines, the rain, but with the waves of the sea as well...

Seing as it is the Army's orders, Rilla will have to do what they tell her to do and go where they tell her to go, seing as there is no chance of her resigning from her nurse position.
9/9/2018 c48 Guest
Let me correct that mistake I've made on my previous review, Betty was not the Betty of Rilla and Colette, but, she was the Betty of Rilla and Polly...

Oh, I am all for Rilla, giving, saying, telling a little white lie, of her not being a married woman, so that she could continue her work as a nurse !

Oh wow, this was so sweet and romantic, how Ken had wanted to see, kiss and take Rilla in his arms, right after he had arrived at Diane's place and how the both of them didn't really cared and mind, if Ken seing the bride before the wedding, could bring them bad luck !
9/9/2018 c47 Guest
That was a very lovely, unique and funny first encounter of Rilla with Diane !

How lovely and affectionate of Ken to have thought of Walter to be the one of Rilla's brother to be there for her on her wedding day !
9/9/2018 c46 Guest
Betty, Rilla and Poly's very own Betty died during one of the air raids... Damn, how sad and unfair.

In two weeks time, Rilla Blythe will become Mrs. Rilla Ford, this is something to be really looking forward for !
9/8/2018 c80 AnneNGil
Wait. So, Rilla and Ken share a cabin? Does the army now know that they are married? I'm confused.

I think this chapter is very thoughtful and it is so good to see Ken opening up to Rilla about things in his own way. They really are coming together.
9/8/2018 c80 5fanofNC
Wow, Rilla, having Ken *and* Colette on the same ship and not in fear of U-Boats! That is just amazing.

Maurice is right :) automobiles do indeed become the main form of transportation. Go chase your dream and be a mechanic, dear!

Yay! Rilla is looking forward to meeting her baby. She's definitely come a long way. Shoutout to Jem for being a wonderful sibling!

Haha, the goddamn Kenneth Ford. I don't think Colette will quit calling him that. And the goddamn Kenneth Ford has got quite the talents, too. I think that's his main way of coping in the war, and now that it's over, he can start showing things to Rilla, letting them out without the fear of being unable to pull himself back together. They really are wonderful together. :)

I love it!
9/8/2018 c80 4OriginalMcFishie
Can't believe we are almost at the end. I'm going to miss Rilla! Love how we hear from collette again, clever army putting them on the same boat. Hearing about Collected future balances Rillas. We get a glimpse of work being narrow to get and how difficult it will be for the boys to return back home to some kind of normal anday set up life once more.
Kens drawing is interesting. He's so detached and cool it would be easy to think he's not effected by the ear, but this brings out the level of trauma everyone suffered (how they all got on is somewhat beyond me, I guess not every did). Nice connection between husband and wife too. I'm really going to miss these two
9/8/2018 c79 OriginalMcFishie
Opening this with the question 'has this always been a hospital' is a stark reminder of how the landscape changed during the war and everyday buildings suddenly became hospitals, such was the need. The conversation about Walter and Jerry rang true. When someone dies at first everythromycin breath without them becomes easier and bit by bit it becomes easier, though life is never the same again.
I love how Jem knows but speaks about the baby like it's a teenagers secret ' come on, spill'. He wants to be part of this to share the journey she's on. And then he becomes exactly what Rilla needs, name big brother. He puts his arm around her, gets her to reveal her fears and hopes and then does what no one else can, he makes the baby real for Rilla by sharing the heartbeat. As a doctor who has seen so much death.I and learnt to seek out and preserve life he helps Rilla fond and preserve the life that is within her and makes it a real and positive thing. Beautiful brother /sister moment
776 « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »