for Through the Dark Clouds shining (English version)

8/26/2018 c42 2Kim Blythe
Thanks for making miss Talbot understand the firm rejection of Rilla not wanting to go back into an operating theatre...

Hooray, the Americans have arrived, they have arrived !
8/26/2018 c41 Kim Blythe
This was a very narratively, pensively, thoughtfully, in the mind of Rilla, kind of chapter !
8/25/2018 c76 AnneNGil
Most of this chapter is a good laugh. Of course the end is quite solemn. I think it's nice here, you wounding down the lives of so many people and bringing out all of the "life truths" Rilla has learned.

At first I was confused, I thought Polly's husband had died shortly after they were married, but I must have been mistaken.
8/25/2018 c76 14elizasky
Am I correct in thinking that Polly named Lizzie for Betty? I hope she did. As she says, Betty was like a sister and Polly is not overly attached to her own small family. It was kind of Rilla to express belief in the official story.

The story of Aunt Pomeline was wonderfully refreshing - very like something LMM might come up with (I am recalling her story of Norman Douglas and Faith/Hope/Charity along with reflections on Aunt Atossa and Aunt Jamesina). It's actually sort of a sweet name (if a strange story that reminded me of Rapunzel and the radishes). But she sounds like a horrible person. I hope someone tells her that "apple" is probably a bad translation and she's spent her life scowling at pies for no reason.

I am scowling as well because you did not tell us *what* Rilla has been reading. I will assume Carmilla.

Are Rosa and Connie about the same age? That must be quite the lively household. While I'm sorry for Rosa and the narratively convenient slaughter of all her nearest and dearest relatives, I'm eager to see who a child of Di and Mildred may grow up to be. Never a dull moment in 1920s Toronto, I expect.

It was good to see Polly teasing Rilla about where babies come from. Rilla needs a bit of lightness. It's one thing very different about this Rilla - she's usually on the more serious side, and not just because of her war trauma. Even back with Colette near the beginning, Rilla was the serious friend, not the lighthearted one. Will she (and Ken) be able to regain some frivolity (perhaps with the help of Persis and/or Matt)?

(Speaking of Persis, whatever happened to Tim? I got the impression he was hanging around Etaples for somebody - did anything ever come of it? Will he go back to Canada after the war?)

I was very struck by the casualness with which Polly considers staying in England. Not that she isn't weighing her options carefully, but just that England is so obviously a reasonable choice. I forget sometimes how British the Canadians are in this period until someone calls England "the motherland" or Jem throws around his analogy of England being the lioness and Canada and the other Commonwealth countries being the cubs. It's such a different way of thinking about England than I (an American with no British ancestry) think about it (as much more "foreign," whereas Canada (at least Eastern Canada) feels more familiar to me than many US states do).

Rilla's response to Polly's question about children of her own was interesting, too. "I'm going to worry about that subject when the time comes" seems like a great way to get slammed with an unexpected crisis. Do give it some thought, Rilla!
8/25/2018 c75 AnneNGil
Well that's an interesting turn of events with Nan and Selina.
8/25/2018 c74 AnneNGil
Oh man. This was kind of a tough chapter to is Shirley so stiff and anti-touching. I was as uncomfortable as Rilla. But in the end, even though Rilla doesn't understand it yet, you can see that she wants to take steps to understand her brother. There is a lot of love here even if it doesn't quite look like it.
8/25/2018 c76 18Alinyaalethia
This week in Digressions on Musical Adendda, I swear that title is a line from something else, aside from Berlin. Can I place it? I can not. Now you know how I’ll spend the rest of today.

In Unmusical Adendda, you can tell an English pram by the wheels on it. And it’s heartening to know that boarding trains eith children is an age-old conundrum.

As ever, I enjoy your ramble through grey London. For some readon, in spite of the year being wrong, there’s a feeling of an Elizabeth Betrifge short story to the chapter. Something about the underwhelmed child and the tyrannical aunt in the Cotswolds (it sound be, wouldn’t it?), and the weather. And I love that the child is named for Betty. Of course she is, and of course she gets a different diminutive.

Actuslly, there’s a lot going on with names to enjoy here. Aunt Pomeline might be awful, but it’s a fantastic piece of family lore. And in a detail I’ve always wanted to clarify, is my brain right filing Polly under ‘short for Mary’? It always has been to me, but that could just be my own invention.

Polly, and I both, by the way, re blueberry shrubs. I remembered them at once. I’m glad to hear Murray’s life worked out for him, but I second the hope this second proposal was an improvement! Actually, Polly and I are doing a fair bit of conspiring. I beat her go that line about marriage certificates by a heartbeat. Mind you, what an awful history for little Rosa. It happens, of course - Kitty has her own not dissimilar one - but somehow it’s eadt to overlook when the only character to flirt with that kind of mishap is Jims in the later books, and even thatbwoeks out. Mary Vamce maybe comes closer, but we don’t hear much about her from your Rilla. I am worryingly glad you overlook Mary, I fear.

Oh, and dotting back to band, when did Mildred become Milly to Rilla? Here’s hoping she teaches Rosa to bake along with educating her on suffrage. Goodness knows Di can’t.

Now, Betty. I hadn’t thought we’d you’ve on her, but I’m glad we’re still feeling aftershcks. She really did feel like a sister to Polly, and I hardly think Betty, the heart of that triad, would argue semantics. Rilla certainly doesn’t, having found her share of non-familial family over the years. Not after talking about Rosa, stripped of her family and deflecting from the subject of her own, future family. It’s heartbreaking, of course, that Rilla can’t give Polly an undoctored story, all the worse because Polly probably knows better. But it’s a nice story, and the kind they both need, I think, to process that death.
8/25/2018 c76 38oz diva
Seems funny to get yet another apple reference into this story especially at this remove.

How nice for Rilla to see Polly amongst her London interlude. She’s having a lovely time there while she waits. It must be quite nice really, though she really wants to be with Ken all the time.

Terribly sad about Betty. Polly will miss her forever I suspect. Do you think thy were just friends or was there more to their relationship do you think? I think Rilla is right not to tell her, what good would it do?
8/24/2018 c76 4OriginalMcFishie
How wonderful to see Polly. How awful to be billeted with a less than happy relative of your husband without him. I know, different times but the thought if that alone would make me want to postpone the wedding until after the war. But then again I guess without the ring there were few chances for marital relations, and with the possibility of death so imminent you'd take the chance to be together while you could, even if it did mean narkey old apple aunts. Nice memory of Betty too. I guess her tale illustrates my point above. War is horrid in so many ways. Rosa'a story is interesting (more war horror), and a nice way to give Di and Milly a family in a time where they couldn't officially be together let alone adopt. I can feel we are on the downward path now and nearly home. With all Rilla has done to stay near Ken I do hope they get to travel together.
8/24/2018 c73 AnneNGil
I was surprised to see Vinyards in Germany, too!

This is great that they help this little German boy. It is curious that they would come there. Why is that?

And all thus talk of Rilla being tired, so so tired. She's got to be pregnant.
8/24/2018 c76 10Excel Aunt
Well, Polly asks the $64,000.00 question there, "Do you and the officer want children of your own?" There's an awful lot of discussion about being married and kids. Of course, this is Polly's new world, a world of husbands and babies and inlaws and worries for her daughter. Will the girl get to know both sets of parents? I was thinking as I read about Aunt Pomeline that Rilla might actually appreciate her as she has a name dumber than Marilla Bertha. (Personally, of the two, Marilla is actually the better name. I am not sure why Anne always loved 'Bertha' for her mother's name.) Another thought I had was if there were adequate housing following the war in Europe? I'm going to guess on the main continent the answer might be no. And, England is probably flooded with soldiers still. Alas, I forget the flu might have ease overcrowding. Well, nonetheless, I'm glad the Polly and Lizzie have someplace nice to stay.

Now, I found Rilla's reference to Mildred as Di's flatmate interesting. I suppose that saying Di's lover would have been too shocking for Polly. (hahahahahaha!) Well, I don't think it's an issue of Rilla being ashamed of Di. Has Mildred ever stated to Rilla how she wants to be introduced? Perhaps Shirley's "don't tell Ken" remark set a threshold in what to tell others about what's what in Blythe town. Anyway, I'm proud of Mildred and Di to allow the child into their lives! That's a big commitment and it sounds like its going to hold. I just hope the Anne and Gilbert are open to another grandchild (via adoption!). Somehow, I think they will be

It just occurred to me that Polly named her daughter after Betty. What a sweet loving gesture for her sisterly-friend that came across the Atlantic with her.

It will be interesting to see how this conversation about kids carries into the end of the story!
8/23/2018 c75 18Alinyaalethia
You know, I blame David Lodge for the fact that now, whenever I hear about the Brittish Museum, I always go to ‘The British Museum is Falling Down.’ Wonderfully funny book, but not remotely what you were going for here. I did get there eventually, though, promise. And do read Lodge. He’s very clever.

In case I haven’t said, I love this friendship between Rilla and Persis. They’re always catching and bolstering each other, and fiction doesn’t do that enough with its women. Maybe I’m reading the wrong books. Anyway, you do do this, and I’m reading greedily. This isn’t the first time we’ve seen Rilla staunch Persis’s feelings of uncertainty, but it’s by far the most heightened we’ve seen those feelings. Understandable too, because her war is one endless stream of helplessness with the flu patients. We’re onky really getting to grips with what it was now, and onky because someone decided what s/he really needed to do was give the virus to rats. Persis and company are all at sea battling it.

Meanwhile, Ken really owes his sister a letter. I understand why he doesn’t, but they’ve always been close. To deal with helplessness and issilation must have been a special kind of torment. Add to which Leslie succumbing to the flu, and the fact that Persis hasnt also been marked with debility is impressive. Which isn’t to say you don’t let her feel anything about it. She’s obviously wrestling with her role and her transfer among the mummies and statues, and you know I appreciate this.

But Nan. ‘Her stories died eith Jerry.’ That was awful. I’m suddenly very glad I’ve made her Canada’s answer to Dorothy Sayers. Of course, there’s a kind of triumphalism in the success she makes of the clothes, and the partnership with Selina - I quite love it as a new direction - but I still hope she gets her stories back. Even if she just makes up little sketches of an evening for Connie.

And I’m unconvinced Rilla will roll over and give up nursing. She never went into it as a stop-gap. So I strongly suspect she’ll find her way back to it, eventually.
8/23/2018 c40 2Kim Blythe
Rilla was right, this was too good, too good to last long, too good to be real...

I love how you created Persis character, she is so lively, enthusiastic and fun to be around !
8/23/2018 c39 Kim Blythe
In one chapter all together, we have the introduction of Tim, the orderlies that you said that I would soon meet and we, finally have a first glimpse of Persis, being in France !
8/23/2018 c75 5fanofNC
LESLIE WAS ILL?! WHAAAAAAT!

Okay, Persis, I feel really bad for you, but remember that while you were worried, your uncommunicative brother was probably drinking and mute or something :/

"She was afraid of me kidnapping her brother." That got me smirking for quite a while. Kidnapping is such an interesting word, especially if the one being kidnapped goes... willingly, which I have no doubt Ken would do if Rilla wanted to live in the Glen. But alas, no.

Nan and Selina! Now I really have to meet Selina! She sounds absolutely amazing.

Wonderful, wonderful chapter!