for Of things silver and golden

7/19/2020 c1 3Magsluvsaragorn
oh how much do we love Ken!
12/26/2019 c1 3AnneWithAnEStory
"He's trying to be the Jem of old, for all of them, but isn't." Wow that line just hit hard. It just shows how this life event changed all of them and they can't go back. Much like the "game" you mentioned of taking a historical event and thinking of how it would have transpired differently, they have all been irreversibly affected and there's no going a different way. This is emotional.

I loved "in the sacred valley of their childhood days" such a pretty way to say it.

The part about the letters was interesting. She was embarrassed about what she'd written, thinking it was all ignorant, but that was exactly what ken needed, to be brought away from where he was. That was really interesting, just seeing their two different perspectives.

Aw, it was cute how he said he favorite color was red, knowing it is rilla's hair color, how adorable.
I also loved "otherworldly hour of dusk" :) lovely. It made me smile how she planned to look all over for the shade of blue he likes so she can wear it.

I cried at the end. :) This was so beautiful, that she just automatically thinks this is her baby again and he is so supportive, and the last line was like an amusing way of putting it that just showed the enormous support and I just loved it so much.
1/14/2019 c1 47Tinalouise88
So I am not great at long review like you are. But I will try my best

I enjoy Jem and Rilla midnight chate, and all his brotherly advice. I always pictured them being rather chummy with each other in a teasing mocking way.

For Ken and Rilla- I like how he admits he was fond of little Jims, and how Rilla wrote about him, I was never sure what Ken thought, and I always pegged him for possibly feeling like Jims ruined the evening when he said goodbye.

I like her asking him his favourite colour, and asking her in return. Such a simple thing yet its profound. It's something we all do when getting to know each other. Though if you ask me if I know my boyfriends...I can't actually tell you after seven years haha. I think its blue or red.

Ken accepting little Jims just stops my heart. I never ever considered it in my own musings of Rilla and Ken. But it makes him so accepting for her life, much like she is accepting of his which is still plagued by the war some days.
12/11/2017 c1 4OriginalMcFishie
this is so needed. I always wondered how Rilla and Ken fared, they didn't know each other and that's no basis for a marriage. I love the brother advice from Jem, a man who is clearly troubled by what he's seen. His advice is so him, grounded, practical, based on an understanding of the facts. I liked the reference to Nan, yes I can see her and Jerry taking time to readjust. The conversation in Rainbow Valley was so sweet. Ken's vulnerability. Rilla learning that the man she had on a pedastool in fact had her placed even higher. His honestly at what kept him grounded, his need for her after his promotion, his admiration for her war effort are all beautiful. What I really love is that she doesn't need to ask if she can rescue Jim's. He knows it's a done deal and embraces it with her. Here I feel a relationship that is strong and grounded and positive. this is a marriage that will rival the great loves of ancient times. Thank you for giving me that
12/9/2017 c1 37oz diva
It's not easy to suddenly be expected to accept advice from someone whose never really noticed you before, particularly when that someone is your big brother, even if the advice is sound.

Interesting to hear just how important a light hearted love letter can be in a time of war. She thought they weren't much, but to him they were a port in a storm.

I've never thought about how important the separation of war and private life must have been for the men. I'm guessing they never did want the two to be combined. To survive post war they had to compartmentalise which is why so few of them ever told their loved ones at home much about their war. In as you say a selfish manner. they didn't keep it back to protect us but to protect themselves. The sad thing is that counselling was just in its infancy, not that the armed forces do a great job at that even now.

It's lovely to see them get to know each other with questions about the basics. Fancy they both having each other up on a pedestal.

And then there's Jims. How gorgeous. How else could that end. He has to come back to live with her. via soup tureen.
12/4/2017 c1 AnneNGil
Oh my goodness, I just love this! I just finished reading rilla of Ingleside for the first time and I found the end to be rather unsatisfying. So I looked through fanfiction and found this. It has filled an blank. Thank you for writing this. I think you got the characters and the sentiments spot on! I'd love to see more. Have you written more? I'm going to look around.
12/2/2017 c1 Hazel Auburn
I like this. One of the saddest parts of RoI was when Rilla had to give Jims up so he could go and live with his dad and step-mother. It's unfortunate that in this slight AU version of post RoI canon that Jims has lost his dad in the manner that he has, but ithe up side is that Rilla will look after her war-baby again and raise him as her own. That last line of Ken's to close the story indicates he doesn't mind either. Also, I liked how you've fleshed out Ken and Rilla's relationship a little, having them discuss things, the mundane and important, to get to know each other better. After Anne and Gil, these 2 are my favourite AoGG pairing. Keep up the good work.
11/30/2017 c1 7DianaStorm09
Goodness gracious, there’s so much glorious stuff in here; one of my favorite one shots for sure. Just a few things that I loved: Jem and Rilla’s interaction was beautiful. It was wonderful how much you not only captured their characters so well through what they said, I also loved how you subtle used non-verbal communication, such as how Jem, who used to sprawl out, was keeping his body pulled together. No longer the carefree lad who left Ingleside in 1914.
As you can imagine, I also adored Rilla and Ken together, and loved how her letters and those of Leslie made a difference to Ken when he was in the trenches (you may like to hear I refer to a stack of letters in the doc I work on :)). My favorite part was easily the last sentence, pure gold!
Thank you for this beautiful story!
11/30/2017 c1 14elizasky
Good. I’m going to print this out and staple it to the end of my copy of Rilla so that it can fix a lot of the things that bug me about the ending (actually about that whole book).

To be perfectly transparent: Rilla/Ken has creeped me out since I was a kid myself. She does not really know this dude, and he likes her because she is 15 and pretty and appears as the embodiment of virgin-motherhood? No.

I also feel uncomfortable about the idea of the women hiding their emotions as much as they can in RoI. I understand wanting to be strong, especially when someone you love is in a crisis, but they all go a very long time effacing their own needs and feelings in order to try to keep the boys’ spirits up. Maybe that can work in an established relationship (for a while), but it’s not enough to build a partnership from scratch.

Not to mention Rilla gives her baby away to a stranger at the end. The kid is four years old. He must be a wreck.

So you have addressed some of these issues and done it beautifully.

Starting with the lovely conversation with Jem. This is a much-needed update to the conversation Rilla and Jem have in the last chapter of RoI, with all Jem’s grand and slightly implausible speeches. You’ve given him some depth and texture here. All of his trying to be the old Jem again is beautiful and heartbreaking. “White night” was a wonderful callback to the time when they were all grieving for Jem, and you show that just bringing him home doesn’t fix everything. Though “he’s still good at getting his way” was good, too — shows us that not everything changes either (and that Faith better hurry back from England and take this whole situation in hand).

All the talk of not putting one another up on pedestals is good and necessary. That’s what they’ve done and it needs correcting if they’re going to have a HEA that lasts beyond that final page.

I feel like I don’t know canon Ken and don’t really like him, but you have given us a glimpse here that at least makes me interested in learning more about him. His willingness to be vulnerable with Rilla is a good start, and his understanding about Jims is an even better sign. I liked all the hesitancy in their conversation — the holding back, being shy about mentioning fatherhood, even when discussing someone else, but ultimately overcoming it with honesty and starting to really get to know one another as people. I liked Ken best when he asked her to ask him anything she wants to know about him. They can build from that.

I did laugh at your explanation of why the others weren’t at Passchendaele. It does take some explaining! Luckiest ear infection ever, Carl.

Thanks for writing this. Can we look forward to more Ken in Dark Clouds?
11/30/2017 c1 4Anne O' the Island
Is it just me-or does Ken always manage to have just the right thing to say? (Of course I'm thinking of his "Is it Rilla *my* Rilla?") And you've just done so well here-I think this is exactly what should have happened.
11/30/2017 c1 2Kim Blythe
This was a very, really, perfectly, agreeable one shot to be reading !
11/30/2017 c1 18Alinyaalethia
Oh thank you. This is a gift. Not just because youvevfit all our words in it either, but you’ve given all those half-formed ideas of mine shape. The way you write the men, Jem valiantly striving for his old levity, Ken clinging to old-sorkd innocence (of Rilla at least) is beautiful. Painful, but real and necessary and living in the way good stories of when you breathe colour on them just right. And Rilla’s need yo know, to understand, is palpable. I thought I couldn’t love anything more then the heating conversation with a Jem, where even the spaces and silences counted. And then you gave us the scenevwith Ken, love in all its iterations, honest and ach,anchored and trembling too, and I thought nothing could best that. But you gave Rilla back Jim’s -Jim’s whose departure from a Ingleside I still firmly believe and truly should not have happened. But better than that even, Ken’s wuip about soup tureens. It’s not just that he understands Rilla’s need here, it’s that by making a joke of it we see something of pre-War Ien, and it’s obvious how much that talk has healed them both. They’ll need more talks, I’m sure, but I feel confident now that they’ll sail almost smoothly into the future. Thank you for this -it was all I had hoped for and so much more besides.
11/30/2017 c1 10Excel Aunt
Of course, Jims belongs to Rilla! He can't be shipped off to uncaring relatives. Just the fact that she nearly fainted at the thought of Jims being sick or in grave danger says enough right there!

Ken's praising Rilla for saving a life told me that he was more the able and willing for her (them) to do it again. It's been a long time since I've read RoI but I can remember the exact moment where Ken is watching Rilla care for Jims and he becomes enamored.

Thank you for writing this! It sort reminds me of Anne of Green Gables, the Continuing Story as well.
11/30/2017 c1 Andrea1984
A nice story about Rilla, Ken and probably about Jims ?

Cu