FanFiction.Net
for Nostalgia and Reverence

12/31/2017 c1 9McMoni
As a teacher myself, I can't but find this tribute so nicely heart- warming.
Very well done, loved it!
12/10/2017 c1 44EKWTSM9
Sorry for the delay in reviewing - major computer problems, now solved.

Yes, we all, if we're lucky, have had teachers who inspired us in different ways - it's great when they are acknowledged, even if it's only in our memories.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
12/7/2017 c1 67honu59
This is a nice tribute to a beloved teacher. In the midst of grieving the loss of Mr. Osborne, Steve finds out that he has made a difference in one student's life. And that is all Steve needed to know to realize that his career has been worth it. Nice touch, naming Steve's secretary "Mrs. Tayback," LOL!

I also read "Silas Marner" in high school and actually enjoyed it. That novel has a bad reputation for some reason. Anyway, I enjoyed your story!
12/3/2017 c1 Helenem
Wonderful to see a new tale from you so quickly! Your story reminded me of the teacher who made a profound difference in my life, one of my college professors, Mr. Clark. He was a kind and gentle soul, a genuine free spirit who encouraged our imaginations to run free. He taught me so many life lessons over and above the subject matter we were learning. I was very lucky to have known him.
12/3/2017 c1 1Sylvia Elaine
This was a short but well inspired tale. I'm sure I can hear you talking from personal experience through the words of this story. I love the way it's written in such a heart-felt way. I'm glad too that Steve could rate Mike on a par with those teachers too and the effect they all had on his life.

I can't honestly remember a particular teacher ever making a great impression on me (at least not a good impression) but my Headmaster at Primary School from the age of 5 to 11 years was wonderful. It was a Church of England school built next to the church and at lunch-time he would come out and sit on the steps of the church and tell us stories as we gathered around his feet. They were only simple stories but they always had a strong moral to them which I know I, for one, absorbed and stored for future reference throughout my life without even realising I was doing it. I can still remember several of those stories today and they had great impact on my life so I can well imagine you being similarly affected.

By the way, I agree with Mike. I have Silas Marner on my bookshelf and I've never finished it either but, unlike Mike, I certainly can't be persuaded into ever trying it again. LOL.
12/3/2017 c1 Nans
What a heart warming tale.
Mrs Lee was my favorite English teacher in the ninety grade. I stayed in contact with her after she retired.
Your story brought back memory of visiting at her home in Mississippi.
Thank you again for sharing this touching tale with us the readers.
12/3/2017 c1 26Lynn's Stories
A very nice one-shot, feel-good for the day. Thanks!
12/3/2017 c1 JEM
Great one shot, yes there are people I would think in most peoples lives that have made a difference in some way or another.
This time for Steve it was the first person who influenced his life after his parents died and before Mike. If Osborne had not influenced his life he may never have Mike, and for that we have to be grateful.
12/3/2017 c1 14Tonyrobbertsen
What a beautiful story! It made me think of some of my teachers who made a difference. They had a real heart for their pupils. In fact I have to thank a few high school teachers of my oldest son, who has autism and was bullied by other students once again. They helped him whenever needed.
Of course Steve is a teacher who cares. It is wonderful to hear that he didn't matter to some students.
His teachers started to show that caring for is important and Mike showed him as a friend and surrogate father