for Fire in the Disco!

4/21/2018 c1 7Michael Sharkey
Starting in medias res is always a bold choice, and difficult to fulfill. My favorite is 100 Years of Solitude, but this ain't bad either. The bantering while bullets fly recalls the Bolivian shootout with Butch and Sundance - "You call that cover?" "You call that running...?" Maybe even more like I Spy, where Kelly and Scott would bicker constantly while chasing the Russkies through East Berlin.

The first flashback is almost a dream sequence, with no apparent beginning or ending, and an invisible menace. The situation is never explained, but it doesn't need to be. We never find out why February 2 starts looping for Bill Murray, either.

"It's not for drinking... Well, not only for drinking." Great line. It has a real Nick & Nora flair. "I like this song," is a close second.

Steed's arrival to mop up (literally?) is a good use of the character. He has that veddy British sobriety that nicely contrasts with his young colleagues, and brings closure. (Droll tags were a hallmark of Avengers stories, as you well know.) But I did wonder why he didn't ask what happened to his car!

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service