for Charlottetown

5/26/2021 c8 BirdieKitKat
Ack! This is turning fascinating. I do hope Gilbert and Anne end up together in the end, but I'm also on tenterhooks for Di and Fred. With the Barry's crop suffering a blight, will her parents relent? And will Feed wind up with ownership of Green Gables if Marilla stays in Sweden? I know you haven't worked on this story for awhile, but I so hope you'll come back to it. Even if it's just to write the epilogue!
5/26/2021 c1 BirdieKitKat
Delighted to discover there's a sequel! And loving all the footnotes. :D
6/7/2019 c8 5rebeccathehistorian
That is one run-down shop. If Anne's to take charge of it, there's a lot that will need doing.

Is Thistlethwaite a play on the name Misselthwaite from the Secret Garden?

What kind of name is Filomena Iskander? Ok, now that I think about it ... Filomena sounds like it could be a girl's name from that time period. It just sounds like a preposterous name nowadays.

I was thinking the man was Gilbert! Thanks, Folly! I'm glad to know I was right!

I like the name The Red Oak. That's an interesting name for a bookshop... Oh. I get it now. The *Red* Oak. Anne's thinking of things red - her hair, the almadine ring that Gilbert tried to give her, the fact that Gilbert likes red things - and this is another red thing, isn't it? Also, is the oak in a sense a play on Gilbert? The fact that he's solid, sturdy, and broad-shouldered just like an oak tree.

By all means, take a break. Let this go on hiatus. You deserve it. I'll be here patiently waiting when (or if) you do decide to come back to this story. It's an interesting concept, I'm enjoying the new characters, and I'm curious to see where this will go. You're an excellent writer and I wish I could be half as good as you. (And yes, yes, I know; practice takes time. And that practice makes perfect. I know this. I do. I'm still admiring your skill and your way with words.)
6/7/2019 c7 rebeccathehistorian
I like your description of Charlottetown at the end there. Very evocative.

I also liked the argument that Anne and Gil had. I feel like they're both right: Gil in the fact that his mother doesn't know anyone in Saskatchewan and Anne in the fact that she has given Mrs. Blythe the names and addresses of people who could help her.

I'm liking this story and I'm willing (and curious) to see where it goes.

I'm sorry I can't give you a better review.
6/7/2019 c6 rebeccathehistorian
This was a good chapter! I enjoyed it! I'm sorry to hear that Mr. Keats' died, but I wonder what he has for Anne. And if he has anything for Davy?

Also, are Diana and Fred going to announcement their engagement soon? (I mean, is this going to be a thing where Diana proposes to Fred? I feel like Diana wouldn't do that but then, in this story, she's more adventurous than she is in the books.)
6/7/2019 c5 rebeccathehistorian
Oh Anne. You love Gilbert and you're pushing him away precisely *because* you love Gilbert and you don't want to hurt him or his future.

"I think following your dreams is a lot more complicated than we ever imagined it to be.": Hm.

This was a heavy chapter but a good one. Gilbert got himself into a deep dilemma; I wonder how he's going to get out of it. You brought up some real interesting conflict and I'm wondering where you're going to take it.
6/7/2019 c4 rebeccathehistorian
Didn't you once say that Mr. Olsen and Mr. Wilson were gay (or at least implied it) and that they like each other?

I love the fact that Dora had sent Anne a five-page postscript. I think her of being very proper and sending a two-line postscript if she wrote a letter to Anne - if she wrote a postscript at all - but in all honesty, as I said, I love that it's a five-page postscript. I think it's because it reminds me of something (to some extent of something) that I would do.

Hm. This was an interesting chapter.
6/7/2019 c3 rebeccathehistorian
I found it funny that Mrs. Lynde (and later, Fred) were talking about Claire Fontaine and didn't even realize that the reporter they were talking about was in the same room with them! Good thing Diana, Gilbert, and Mrs. Blythe seem to be the only ones who know that Anne is Claire Fontaine. And I'm sorry to hear that John Blythe died a year-and-a-half ago. He was a good man.

I'm sorry I don't have any critiques for you. I'm liking this story. Keep going! (When you have time to, I mean. I know this is on hiatus and I'm reviewing this a year-and-a-half late.)
6/7/2019 c2 rebeccathehistorian
Wait, what?! Moody left seminary and Jane married Charlie Sloane?! Wow!

I feel bad for Diana.

Ah. So Dora and Soren got married. I thought that might happen.

When you mentioned the fact that Marilla and Martin wouldn't be home in PEI for another year at least, I felt like I really understood how far away - and how long the trip was - to Sweden at that time. I will say however, that when I initially thought of it, I was thinking of Marilla and Martin being on a sailing ship bound for Sweden. And that kind of trip would take about 6-8 weeks. But then I realized that for this time period, they probably (or at least possibly) are on a steamship, which means that it should take them 2 weeks, I think. Three if they have a stopover in England.

I liked it. I'm curious to see where you go with this.
6/7/2019 c1 rebeccathehistorian
"There's no hurrying its meaning ... unless you like getting sunk.": Hm.

I like how you didn't tell the reader that John Ferrer was dying but showed it and let the reader infer it.

This is a good start to the story. Thank you for writing it!
4/12/2019 c8 Guest
Was Anne going to have multiple lovers in this story? That intrigues me, actually this whole story intrigues me, though I really love Gilead where Anne and Gilbert get to be together.
10/30/2018 c8 6DrinkThemIn
Oooh please continue!
10/30/2018 c8 geekloverlz
Was thinking of that scene of them in the snow - how heart wrenching that was - and them meeting at the train station. Thought just popped into my head today - amazing. I keep wondering where you'll lead your characters, it's so exciting. Hope you're well. -Dafne
10/20/2018 c8 2mylittlebakersdozen
Hello again! I’ve binged as far as I could on this one, so this is a natural stopping point for a review. I am thoroughly enjoying this fic, but admit to being not entirely pleased with our Miss Anne (as you likely intended). I kept thinking over the last couple chapters that even though Anne believes herself to be so worldly and adult, she has a LOT more growing up to do! Her impulsivness and “didn’t mean that” in childhood never really harmed anybody, not really. However, as an adult, those types of actions can cause real, actual, physical and emotional harm. Poor darling Gil. Anne thinks she is being so selfless, when really she is the opposite. I never pictured her as a martyr before, but she seems to have a tinge of a martyr’s complex. Or maybe just a unique sense of entitlement or arrogance. I can’t decide, but I’m not happy with her.
This last chapter has started to redeem her in my eyes though. What a wonderfully generous man Mr Keats was! I cannot begin to imagine Anne actually living there (it sounds like quite a hovel), but I can certainly see her trying her hand as a bookseller. Perhaps Josephine Barry would be willing to help finance a new storefront in a better part of town? Anne already has inventory (dubious though the quality may be), has a passion for books and writing, and most importantly has Folly (what a wonderful name and character!). I am enchanted with your story and am eagerly waiting to see where it goes!
8/26/2018 c1 Dafne
Dear Katherine,
I discovered Anotherlea and its sequel a few days ago and I just couldn’t put my phone down. Beautifully written, with such vivid and refreshing descriptions that I often find myself gaping at the screen. You’re already leading these characters down new, exciting paths, which is already an accomplishment in itself. But it’s your poetic prose that mesmerizes me. It gives such depth to the thoughts and actions you’re narrating and it’s so beautiful and earnest (you never shy away from anything!) that I’m thinking how else could anyone write Anne? I hope I’ll have the chance to find out what happens in your universe (it has become my official alternative!). But mostly I look forward to the joy and pain of reading YOU! Thank you!
132 Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »