for Charlottetown

1/18/2018 c1 julie3113
Wow. This is an impressive reentry. It’s strikingly original and fresh, and I love seeing Anne as an independent, resourceful, intrepid career woman. The wind references are particularly apt here. Of all the Annes to whom you introduce us here, I especially like the sympathetic Anne comforting the dying man, cutting quickly to her covetous glance at the camera. The descriptions also are beautiful and evocative, just as we readers have grown to expect from you. Here it’s nature that affects me the most, I think: the cold and the wind, the expanse of the plains, the water and the sky. I was particularly taken with the image of Anne’s “violent” red hair - and the joke of mistaking it for a fox. (I like foxes.) Also the image of Anne at the end, standing in the wind with her skirts billowing around her — it reminds me of the Nike of Samothrace (but with the wind blowing in the opposite direction). Very cinematic.
1/18/2018 c1 7wishwars
*whistles long and low* This story is off to a very exciting start! I’m excited to see what’s next for Anne!
1/18/2018 c1 PelirrojaBiu
Welcome back! I already love it, what an intriguing, fascinating premise! As always your storytelling is brilliant, a lesser writer would spend pages upon pages explaining the setting and historical background, yet you trust your readers enough to let them understand it. Gosh, this is all so interesting! I knew next to nothing about that rebellion. I love that I always learn something new when I read your stories. I adore the way you start and finish the chapter with the wind. Anne herself is fantastic, one can tell she is older and more mature, yet so herself, despite what she has just gone through. And, as always, the secondary characters are three-dimensional and vivid, even if they only say a couple of sentences and then disappear. Beautiful, beautiful writing, can’t wait to find out more!
1/18/2018 c1 Guest
Amazing! Thrilling! All the research you have done really pays off, just enough detail to create a vivid picture but leave enough room for heaps of were a lot of lovely details but I especially noticed "burn with envy", so Anne, but its over cameras now not puffed sleeves - I love it! It's like you've really grown into her like a skin, and you know her so well that you can put her into these radical situations, take her to unexpected places but never lose track of who she is. I can't wait to know what on earth has happened in these last 4 years, and can't wait to see where she'll go next! It's radical! Anne at the frontier, Anne in the thick of it, it's awesome, yayayay!
1/17/2018 c1 8Catiegirl
You're back! I'm so excited to be starting another one of your stories. One of the things I've come to appreciate so much is that your stories make me feel adrift- there's no tame plot that runs through them to anchor it before it's told, and that's as terrifying as it is exciting. I never know where you'll take me.

It took me a few reads to absorb where we began- and Anne out on the Prairies seemed so right. I loved starting the chapter with the little mention of Gilbert and the skills he taught her, and of Anne making up drafts as well- thank you, Rowena! It's that strength in her, the survival skills, the bravery that I so admire in your Anne. Loved her watching the stars and thinking of home, and the restlessness of belonging to a town that no one belongs to. For some reason too, the need to read the river caught my attention. (By the way, was that a tiny hint, Gilbert being listed amongst her brothers?) I love that she tells the dying boy a story to ease his passage and that she kept him company. To see her flying home (and it did feel like a flight of sorts) and away from the town she had called home, after discharging her duties, it just rang of her- going where no one else can go to meet a condemned man, longing for air and wind and wildness, and the burning of those breeches- I felt like I was seeing her truly take flight for home. I'm so excited, Kwak. I can't wait to see the story you weave here, it's such a rich place to write from- and your Anotherlea world is a thing of beauty.
1/17/2018 c1 Regina56
Damn. Not only are you a brilliant storyteller but you can read my mind half a world away. I was reading over your stories last night and thinking how I’d love for you to pick up Anotherlea again and you surprised me this morning with this! Last time I reread your stories Parting Glass showed up hours later. I’m positively giddy with joy!
1/17/2018 c1 7Formerly known as J
Oh, kwaky, it's not just your footnotes I've missed, it's your gorgeous storytelling abilities and this divine world of Anotherlea. Did you hear my excited squeals of delight when this popped into my inbox this morning? I can't wait to find out where you take this glorious, fearless Anotherlea Anne- I love her so much! - with the sequel.

How I always love your vivid descriptions and what I adore most about your writing is how effortlessly you draw me in. Right from that first sentence (and even that gorgeous folk song has me wondering where exactly you plan to go with this story!) I was enthralled, intrigued and grinning like a fool as I reacquainted myself with your beautiful writing style with every word I read. The picture of Anne sitting with the dying boy on the deck of the boat as she gazes at the stars (sooo Anne!) will stay with me for a long time.

I've missed Anotherlea so much and this sequel looks set to up the ante - you've gifted us with yet another masterclass in how to really start a story and set the scene for a true page turner. The details you manage to include in so few words makes me green with envy while at the same time I love you madly! So, as usual, all I can do is thank you for posting and bow down to the master.

Needless to say, I can't wait for the rest and I truly hope you're going to update with the first chapter very soon. Welcome back, kwak, I'm so excited!

Favourite line: Anne's violent red hair. You really are a genius. So perfect!
1/17/2018 c1 Guest
Exciting adventure! I can't wait for the next chapter. I love your writing Katharine-with-a-K!
1/17/2018 c1 14elizasky
I smiled when I saw this pop into my email. Anne of Anotherlea was one of the first stories I read on this forum, back when I was shy, so my apologies for not reviewing it as thoroughly as I should have. It has stayed with me, though, and I sometimes still laugh over that man demanding a rematch from Josephine Barry.

A sequel! Delightful.

I was struck by the wind and water here — you begin with the wind and end with it, first waking Anne and then filling her ship-sail skirts even though she is waiting for a train. Interesting that this Anne is a “sea person” rather than a forest person — there may be a water shortage out at that camp, but not in Anne’s soul. When she tells Ferrar of home, it’s all brooks, springs, lakes, streams. And of course, she sails away (figuratively) at the end. Of course, you did lovely things with water in Anotherlea, so I will be watching it here as well.

I’m intrigued by this question of Anne and Home, particularly given the epigraph by Riel and its emphasis on place-rootedness. This Anne is clearly good at what she does — casually intrepid in taking on a challenging assignment, sneaking into the jail, etc. — but this type of adventure does not seem to fulfill her. She’s perfectly happy to leave and isn’t mourning the destruction of her trousers. I wonder if Charlottetown will feel like a “cage” as well, if Anne did find some satisfaction in “living in the wilds.” We shall see.

The line that stayed with me in particular was “a story, one that will free him from his rotting body, and he aching one, and carry them like a wind to the sky.”

Looking forward to more!
1/17/2018 c1 4OriginalMcFishie
Wow. You have me hooked. I can't wait to see where you take this! I'd forgotten how much I loved the energy of your Anne.
1/16/2018 c1 Meadowlarkflyaway
Seeing this is very eerie because I just, and I mean JUST finished re-reading Anotherlea (which was just as fantastic as the first time around and I have many thoughts). Then I see this. I have yet to read but I am so, so excited.
1/16/2018 c1 39oz diva
Intriguing opening chapter. Looking forward to seeing more.
132 « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9