for Veiled Stars

1/11/2019 c1 43tmtcltb
I enjoyed seeing this from both perspectives. I can definitely see this as a turning point in their relationship.
11/17/2018 c1 34VST
Hi, Cheile,

It’s been a while since I read “Familiar Stars” so I reread it before moving on to this one.

In FS, we learned that Janeway took comfort in the stars she knew. Here we see the contrast presented by Chakotay, who wants to roam among them, regardless of whether he knows any of them. Janeway felt the strain of command while being so far away from home (and being reminded of that by the absence of those stars she knew), but Chakotay’s stress increases as they face they absence of those points of light in the Void and as Janeway blames herself for their situation due to the decisions she’s made and then withdraws from her usual guiding presence in front of the crew and with him. He sees her suffering even more than usual leading him to try to intervene.

Looking through the lens of Chakotay’s eyes was a very effective way of shedding light on Janeway’s situation and on his feelings for her. When he goes to her and comforts her, he understands that the fight is far from over but that his presence and strength could help give her the strength she needed for herself and the whole crew as they try to make their way home. At the same time, he feels that “sense of peace” that would probably help him, too.

Great job!