for Oceanic Opportunity

8/15/2021 c1 11The Grandiloquent Demagogue
Very nice character profile that shows the birth of the Nautilus Pirates. I enjoyed how it started off with a bang showing conflict and violence inherent in a faction splitting off. Like how that Svensgaard had to do even more to win over the crew. And liked how it adopted a piratical dialect, though him saying that "pirates are *cool* and swashbuckling" was a little juvenile. Despite this, he gave a great case for why they should reject Spartan control. Good response from Santiago as well, showed her professional and severe and vengeful. Nice touch about Valkyrie Winter getting a future ship named after her. All in all a great vignette and look into how this faction could have formed. What a great honor to the birth of this faction leader!
4/9/2019 c1 23Danny Barefoot
Interested to hear more about Svensgaard, the game developers should pay you for advertising. Santiago's line about hunting them down fulfilled the historic Spartan tradition of laconically menacing 'we shall fight in the shade' one liners perfectly. Mutiny goes down in a businesslike fashion. Nautilus also appropriate since Captain Nemo was rebelling against the British. A nice piece.
10/7/2018 c1 Noe Bodhi
We need a series of Nautilus pirates being methodically hunted down by Col. Santiago and her ruthless and efficient killers. No one crosses Santiago and lives, for long.
3/16/2018 c1 6arianedartagnan
Despite being unfamiliar with Alpha Centauri, I enjoyed the story about Captain Svensgaard and his rebellion.

I enjoyed his speech to the crew, and his thoughts on their reactions.

I love his observation that telling Santiago about their change to piracy would be more interesting than telling his family that he was joining the navy.

His complaint that the spy bled all over the bridge was a great moment of dark humor.

I love the commentary on how christening a ship with a beaker of orange juice is unconventional, and how the crew will prioritize acquiring alcohol as a "resource." Rum, perhaps, for pirates?

The note on how you wrote the story in honor of Svensgaard's birthday was a nice touch.
3/5/2018 c1 1Adam Safran
Wooh! Nice to see an Alpha Centauri fic. Ah Svensgard, leader of the the most broken faction..