FanFiction.Net
for Appearances Can Be Deceptive

9/10/2019 c1 2Elise Deschat
Nice little backstory... always love to see what folks come up with in prequels
3/29/2018 c1 67honu59
I finally got to this story and what a delight. I could picture all of it happening, Steve's first meeting with Mike, long hair, beard and all. You've given great contrast between a cop who, because of a bad experience, judges people by their looks and Mike, who took the time to get to know Steve. That investment will pay off for Mike in a big way, little does he know right now. Years ago, I attended a conference at Berkeley and while I was there, visited San Francisco, so I could imagine Steve traveling the same route. Thanks for sharing this "first meeting" story. It's a good one!
3/27/2018 c1 9McMoni
Very good! Loved the bit about sunflower seeds - and using the real slogan was just the icing on the cake!
And it was a very nice how-did-they-met scenario.
3/26/2018 c1 Helenem
I just love this story! You really captured Steve's excitement and the sense of wonder at being in San Francisco for the first time. It really reminds me of how I felt when I went there at 16, I loved it, I never wanted to leave! Steve was fortunate to meet the man who would help shape the rest of his life by his kindness and compassion.
3/26/2018 c1 JEM
Was the Sun Flower wot did it sir.
I can see Mike in early years as a Sergeant still looking out for injustice on the streets.
Great one shot
3/26/2018 c1 1Sylvia Elaine
I think this has to be one of my favourite short stories on this site... ever. I know I have to Google an awful lot of Americanisms but I never thought I'd be watching YouTube videos of people eating and spitting sunflower seeds. I had no idea there were actually sunflower seed snacks packed in fancy bags. I learn something every day. LOL The only thing I ever do with sunflower seeds is feed them to the squirrels. I loved how you packed so much into such a short story. I loved the characterisation and description of Steve as an excited long-haired hippie enthralled by his first visit to San Francisco and eventually wanting to maybe live there. I really laughed at how Murphy was trying to fit him up on a drugs charge with a packet of sunflower seeds.(Never heard of baggies either). I loved how you incorporated Yale Dancy and the clubs into the story too and how he dropped him off in Union Street where Steve was eventually to live. So many coincidences. And the biggest coincidence of all was him being picked up by none other than Mike Stone. That was so cleverly written. Typical Mike. He was a good home loving man then and still is now. He always did have a wonderful rapport with kids too, Steve included. I've never heard a truncheon called a billy club before either... I guessed what it was but still googled it. LOL. As for Steven J Keller... you teased us with that and we still don't know what the J stands for. In my mind it's always been James but who knows what other writers think? You clearly think it's a name that can be misunderstood from the spelling. Hmm! Intriguing. Thoroughly enjoyed it and laughed all the way through. Thank you.
3/26/2018 c1 Seafarer's Song
Great back story, I also loved the sunflower seed slogan.
3/26/2018 c1 26Lynn's Stories
What a great little one-shot. Nice behind the scenes story and a WHB for the series. Thanks for sharing brought a smile to my face.
3/26/2018 c1 44EKWTSM9
A very sweet one-shot, totally plausible and well-written. Great research too! Thanks for sharing!
3/26/2018 c1 Guest
Great first meeting of Steve and Mike.
I was grinning as Sergeant Stone talked to Officer Murphy about his handling of "long hairs." Aka Steve.
Loved your handling of Mike drivind Steve back to Berkeley.
3/26/2018 c1 Amanda England
Thank you for this I like reading about the early days. I think it showed how Mike was able to get on in the police force by his considerate attitude and wiliness to learn from a younger generation.
3/26/2018 c1 14Tonyrobbertsen
Thanks for another excellent story by you.
This was the beginning of a long life friendship between Mike and Steve.
Both men who care for others and don't judge before knowing someone .