for A Soldier's Purpose

1/12/2019 c1 30Abracadebra
This is excellent. A rare, pensive exchange between two friends. I could feel the smoke filling up MY lungs during those descriptions!
1/10/2019 c1 71snooky-9093
Simply lovely; and realistic. The quote fits the story beautifully. I'm not one of those in the "Hogan was deliberately shot down" camp, but that doesn't matter. The hows are not important to the story, but the whys are: you don't dwell on that, but instead we have a nice personality study of both Kinch and Newkirk.

"And to top it off, salt will get rubbed in the wound of being stuck here each time we get another flyer out."

12/27/2018 c1 34VST
Hi, Visage,

Here from the Forum XIIIc 2018 Reviewathon. I really enjoyed your story!

At first glance, it wouldn’t be too hard to decide whether to stay in such harsh conditions indefinitely or to have a chance at going home, but there are other considerations as Kinch points out to Newkirk. The decision to have him be the one to do so was excellent, for as most likely the only person of color in the camp at that time, he would probably have suffered more prejudice and outright racial hatred at the hands of at least any hardcore Nazi guards, and sadly, based on some of the attitudes of the day, probably some of his fellow prisoners as well. Kinch understands it’s not a good situation but his “If we don’t stop them…” line and his thoughts on it becoming a “permanent reality” was a great argument in favor of the assignment that Hogan proposed.

I liked Newkirk’s thoughts as he made his decision. Despite what he wants, Kinch's statement rings true and Newkirk knows that he has to do it.

Thanks for sharing this very well-written and insightful story of a critical point in the tale of Hogan’s Heroes.
5/13/2018 c1 James
Very good
5/12/2018 c1 1NickTonyK
Pretty good!
5/11/2018 c1 54Signy1
Ah, very nicely done! Your descriptions were vivid, your dialogue sharp, your characterizations spot on. As I know you're aware, I'm neck-deep in my own version of 'how it all got started,' and I really enjoyed seeing someone else's take on the subject. I'd be very interested in seeing more of it.
5/11/2018 c1 119katbybee
OMG Visage...this is wonderful...You have captured their voices, and their motivations perfectly...the pain, fears, and determination shine! When it comes right down to it, how hard it would be to stay when a very large part of you wants to be home and safe! That is truly the mark of a hero. Fantastic story! Thanks for sharing!