for Now a silent secret (Once a beautiful song)

6/14/2020 c1 Smithy
I saw, on YouTube, Rob Houchen's rendition of 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables', and I was blown away. Chris McCarrell does a fine job, too, going from soft singing to full-blown grief.
10/12/2019 c1 47megSUPERFAN
This is beautiful! The writing is so sad and real, and I love how Marius and Cosette don't let the other suffer alone. I'm glad some of the graves at least were marked; I have often wondered what happened to the boys after they died and where they were buried. Excellent work!
9/23/2019 c1 11civilizedrevolutionary
I KNEW this would make me cry, yet here I am pretending I didn’t know what I was doing when I found this story. This is written so well! I feel like Hugo completely glossed over the fact that in the book Marius lost all of his friends, and here you gave him a proper display of grief, so good job.
7/4/2019 c1 Whitelion69
This is a very good one-shot.
11/7/2018 c1 RaggedtyAnne
Well written, Marius did mourn for his friends, there is a sad part of the book where he is thinking of them. Most of the real life rebels were from Paris and working class so they would have been claimed by their families, some of whom may have been able to afford proper burials some not. The fictional Les Miserable rebels came from the south of France and I presume that is where their families still lived. Marius was the only one whose family lived in Paris and he grew up there. So this being 1832 and of course no telephones, I don't think the telegraph existed yet, it would have taken days for messages to get to the south of France. Also the morgue was very busy, with 93 rebels and 73 soldiers killed. The next day on the 7th there was a procession of carts taking the bodies to the morgue, where they had to be searched and identified. I don't know how long they kept bodies at the morgue. I think that when the families of Enjolras and most of the others heard about their deaths, they would have sent servants or representatives to bring the bodies back to be buried in the family plot and tell everyone that they died from cholera (which was raging and was what General Lamarque died of) or a carriage accident or something like that).
9/15/2018 c1 Smithy
I will bet that was Azelma that was the girl who lost her siblings, Eponine and Gavroche.
8/29/2018 c1 133rebecca-in-blue
Oh, this is such a tender, well-done portrait of Marius grieving. I love your opening - the creaky door of the carriage, the still air of the cemetery, the man hobbling along. It creates a good sense of atmosphere and pulls you right into the story. Like the caretaker, I initially assumed that Marius was old and this was set many years after the barricades, so it was a nice twist when you revealed that he's still a young man. There's also so much bittersweetness in how his "brothers" are all buried together, while he's still alone above ground. I think that contrast is much more effective than the "A tear rolled down his cheek..." paragraph, which felt too melodramatic for me. I also love Cosette's appearance at the end; the quiet way she's there for him but still gives him room to mourn, and helps him up at the end is just beautiful.

P.S. I'm here reviewing you for the review-a-thon at the Caesar's Palace forum! Come drop by sometime, all fandoms welcome :)
8/20/2018 c1 5likeglitterandgold
I love this! It’s so sweet, with so many feels.
8/20/2018 c1 10SlittingCornorSmores
OH MY LORD, that was so good! Your writing is AMAZING, and the way you portrayed Marius was awesome. Keep up the good work!