for End of Watch

12/22/2019 c1 80mrspencil
Although I like the idea of Kinch somehow being there through all their adventures, this has a plausible ring to it and is a nice study of friendship. Very well done:-)
6/22/2019 c1 13last1stnding
This is a great story. I love the exchange between Newkirk and Kinch and the perfectly plausible reason why Kinch feels he can no longer stay at Stalag 13. Love the line: 'ever so often somebody needs to remind our Icarus not to fly too close to the sun'. Best summation of Hogan's keeper I've heard. Newkirk realizing the opportunity he has earned and his determination not to screw up is touching and meaningful.
5/27/2019 c1 32GrrraceUnderfire
I read this story when it was first published, and it inspired me to think about the Kinch-Newkirk friendship, which I explore a little bit in my stories. I really love how you portray both of them. Newkirk is obviously feeling wounded that Kinch is leaving, and Kinch is not going to leave important things left unsaid. Even though it's been a while since this story came out, I wanted to acknowledge how much I liked it and how much it influenced me. It's also really nice how this came out of your personal life experience. Thank you for including that footnote!
1/13/2019 c1 71snooky-9093
This is so well-done. Your reasoning for Kinch's departure makes perfect sense, as does Newkirk's anger and feelings of betrayal. And yes, Kinch can be a liability if he's caught outside. I agree; the episodes are not in chronological order and Kinch and Baker were there at the same time. (as were Helga and Hilda). There has to be a backup radio operator.
1/5/2019 c1 10Khebidecia
Kinch's absence is a sad change in the show, which gives us the fortunate experience of getting to know Baker. I think you did a good job of explaining why Kinch might decide to leave and how it would cause the others to change slightly. There were many good explanations and character interactions in this story, but I think my favorite part was aline you gave Kinch. "I'm resigning from my post at Stalag 13, not from being your friend." This is such an important thing to remember about friends and life in general, and I'm glad you were able to include it.

Also, thank you for being a teacher. You have one of the most incredibly demanding, yet completely necessary, jobs there is.
11/21/2018 c1 23Tuttle4077
Well I'm conflicted. I mean on the one hand this was great and I loved the comradery between Newkirk and Kinch. And I totally buy that Kinch is tired of not being able to live up to his full potential and feeling in a way, useless.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure Hogan would see it as a good reason to let go of a man like Kinch who IS super important to the operation, despite how he feels.

On the other other hand, Hogan knows that morale is important.

On the other other other hand (or is it back to the first hand?) if one of Kinch's issues is that he's stuck in camp and is a liability when going out, I wonder why he chose Baker to replace him, and not someone who could pass as a German.

On my foot though, I did enjoy the story. It was a plausible explanation as to why Kinch left. Sorry for my ramblings.
9/3/2018 c1 25L. E. Wigman
What an incredible story. I adored every second I was reading. I love the explanation for Kinch leaving and the passing of the baton... just wonderful. Also, that's a really cool tidbit of information about the paper clips. I so enjoy learning things I didn't know.
8/29/2018 c1 23Glossina
This was very well written. I think you handled this situation very well. I've written several HH fics myself but have never handled Kinch's departure because I just can't picture him not there. I'm also writing fics for McHale's Navy. Not sure if you know about that but it's similar in some ways to HH. I've written around ten of them so far but have not posted them but might at some point. As I've already said, you did a fantastic job on this and I'm looking forward to more from you.
8/29/2018 c1 1NickTonyK
Really well done. Loved the pure emotion you wrote for these guys.
8/29/2018 c1 30Abracadebra
This is really wonderful. You really captured Newkirk on auto-fret, and your Kinch was calm, commanding, and soothing, as he should be. I really like your backstory about how this connects to your personal experience too. That was a great line your friend offered up, and I am sure it is true.
8/28/2018 c1 117katbybee
I think this is the best Kinch departure story I have ever read...and consider that a compliment since I've written one! (Two actually...) This was just awesome. I especially love the paper clip part. And I like that you showed how Newkirk really did become Hogan's second... But the best moment for me was when Kinch asked Newkirk to be sure to remind their Icarus not to fly too close to the sun. That was incredible... made me cry. And congrats to your friend on her job, too!