for A Haunted Girl

8/12/2021 c1 VirReturnsFromMinbar
Very well written.
7/27/2019 c1 xevara
I love Matthew, and he doesn't show up in fan stories very much so I really appreciate this vignette. I never thought before of Anne's looks as something she was frightened over, but of course they would be. Good characterizing!
6/2/2019 c1 47Tinalouise88
Such a sweet moment. I like to think Anne did allow Matthew to open up in a way. He may have still been awkward with others. But with Anne and Him were the same, they saw each other in ways that others may have overlooked especially in the beginning.

I also enjoyed how it was stated the Matthew would plunk down his money for anything pretty and fashionable for Anne. I know its in the series and not entirely sure if it in the books or not. But it was a way to show just how much Matthew had changed since Anne came to Green Gables.

He was the one who realized that allowing Anne to feel and look pretty wasn't a wrong thing. He bought her, her first pretty dress. He was the one who built up her confidence and this definitely fits in that whole aspect of the story.
11/5/2018 c1 wow
That is so sweet. Matthew and Anne changed each other's lives by loving each other...it brings tears to my eyes.
10/30/2018 c1 12MrsVonTrapp
OH. MY. HEART!

This has got to be the loveliest interpretation yet of a 'haunting' and this is such a beautiful, delicate piece of writing. Again your descriptions of surrounds and feelings is painterly, indeed as if "God dropped His paint and splashed the world"; I feel I was back at the Tate Gallery in London, in a roomful of Turners. You are really interpreting the world here as Anne sees it, with the colors awash around her... when red is not red but crimson, with all the vivid associations of that hue; the gorgeous alliteration of ''crimson carpet"; the smile on my face when ''decadent" is somewhat downgraded to "deciduous"; and the absolutely lovely "forsaken foliage" graduating to "rusty red" - a very nice allusion to Anne herself! After my own heart with all that, Excel x

But this is also so rich in other sensory ways, and the quietness of Matthew, who was always one to slow down and appreciate nature (and Anne herself) makes him the perfect companion for her here. I can't help but have the wonderful Sullivan series' Matthew, Richard Farnsworth, in my head with all this; I think he most perfectly captured Matthew's kind, quiet reserve. I love them here, hand in hand, and the detail of her breathing in "his tobacco scented lapels" was marvellous.

"And if beauty is contingent on being wanted, you're the prettiest girl this side of paradise" has got to be one of THE most winning lines, ever.

Just so lovely. Anne's ghosts have been exorcised and her soul soothed, as mine has been x
10/30/2018 c1 4CahillA
This was beautiful. So beautiful in its simplicity. Matthew's spirit sings and your presentation of a 'haunted tale' is gut-wrenching and heart-filling at the same time. Thank you!
10/30/2018 c1 4OriginalMcFishie
Bravo Excel Aunt, bravo. This takes deliciousness to an entirely new level. We have a cold, leafy October, we have a dusky walk through woods and we have anne aquiver with words and excitement longing for ghosts to come. And come they do, you clever thing, bringing forth the true ghosts that haunt us, our past, and you have Matthew slay it like the knight in shining armour that he is, with the greatest weapon known to humankind, love. I love that Anne needs strength to accept the compliment because when we are broken it is hard to hear the healing words. This is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing it.
10/29/2018 c1 14elizasky
This was really lovely and intimate. Both Anne and Matthew were in excellent voice here. Anne's musings on the sinfulness of "crimson" and her general enchantment with the world around her feel like they danced right out of canon. Matthew's decadent/deciduous contribution struck just exactly the same balance of humor and affection as his canon line about feeling a thrill when he sees the grubs. He's trying to relate to Anne and does so in his own way, even when his own vocabulary and frame of reference is so stolidly earthbound.

I also enjoyed your clever twisting of the prompt, to make Anne the haunted girl and her very real fears the focus of the story. That's the lovely thing about a prompt - it produces so many different responses from all angles. There aren't any poltergeists here, only Matthew's shyness and Anne's self-doubt being exorcised. Matthew's blessing of "worry no more" at the end there really did feel like he had driven out a demon and was healing Anne. The bit about her being "the prettiest girl this side of paradise" was a lovely phrase.

Thank you for joining in. I really enjoyed the setting and your attention to all the fall colors and the atmosphere of this walk. We've mostly missed out on autumn where I am - it started raining in September and has barely let up at all since, which is dreary. This was just the crisp, crimson October scene I wanted.
10/29/2018 c1 3Lavinia Maxwell
Love it :)
10/29/2018 c1 74kslchen
Short it might be, but oh, this was beautiful! Stories rarely get me to feel emotional, but this one did, and that's one of the highest compliments I can pay you.
I especially like that the thing that haunts Anne here is something that definitely haunted the girl in the books. Being unloved, not belonging, not being good enough. This is raw and real. I like that, for this story, you chose this fear over a more... "flashy" one. (Might not be the right word, but I don't have a better one.) I'm the first to agree that Anne's past likely held pretty horrible experiences and I like that there are stories out there exploring that. (You know how I am about historical accuracy.) For this story, to give her a quieter kind of fear feels exactly right though. She is very young here and hers is a child's need to be loved and to belong.
Matthew is entirely and absolutely lovely in this (and your portrayal of young Anne is spot-on as well), but him saying that she is wanted in his home was an especially meaningful and emotional moment. I've come to appreciate the bond between Anne and Matthew a lot more as I grew up and I shall definitely add your little story to further strengthen that bond in my mind! So, thank you for this!
And now I will shut up before this review grows to be longer than the story is ;).
10/29/2018 c1 38oz diva
I am so happy you joined in. With all your witchy folk in Being a Blythe, you might have felt All Hallows’ Eve was your default night.

Instead you explore haunting of a different but no less lovely nature. There’s lots of exorcism happening here, but for once all of it comforting and loving.

We rarely see Matthew here in FF and seldom in such a fatherly role. And he is magnificent, all you want in a father who loves his girl and hates to see her disparage herself. It’s interesting to me that Marilla thinks she’s too vain, but Matthew sees how Anne puts herself down. She’s not vain, she’s desparately insecure. She needs a parent to tell her how loved she is, that she’s not a runt (good comparison there) that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don’t think of Matthew as being particularly religious, but he knows his Bible and puts it to good use.

Oh and I loved mackerel heaven.

Thanks for this little scene. I really loved it.