FanFiction.Net

8/12/2021 c1 VirReturnsFromMinbar
Great poem fic.
12/6/2018 c1 3Yzarra Bizzarra
Ouch!
This hurt me more than it should have, like much more.
The verses are so beautiful and it's truly a work of art.
I love your idea of taking the last chapter of Anne of the Island, twisting it and making it agonizing, and then turing it to pulchritudious (which may or may not be my favourite word) piece of poetry.
This physically hurts me.
11/23/2018 c1 5McFishie 7759380
This is beautiful. The idea, the conception, the verse (I am so not worthy). Brillant piece of work
11/4/2018 c1 Guest
Oh my gosh that was lovely, esp the first two lines, so evocative of Anne. Lava hair, emerald eyes.
11/2/2018 c1 4CahillA
ElizaSky - you have no idea how hard I cried with your story about Gilbert. Like, full on ugly cry, husband was asking if I was okay, I said I am totally not okay and you are NOT allowed to die anytime soon - cry.

And yes, I felt bad about killing them both here. It's my favourite poem and my favourite couple and now I hate myself. :P

Thank you everyone for your supportive comments. I am totally addicted to creative writing and it is all YOUR fault!
10/31/2018 c1 14elizasky
I'm so glad to see someone taking a stab at verse here! It is not easy at all, but it is entirely appropriate - even perhaps necessary - as a way of responding to AoGG canon. I appreciated your choice of form, going with the meter and rhyme scheme of "The Highwayman." That invoked both Book Canon (in terms of Anne's many recitations) and Sullivan Adaptation Canon (an anachronistic by emotionally satisfying selection for Megan Follows's Anne - though I suppose in the Sullivan world, Anne and Gilbert are young during WWI, so maybe Noyes is appropriate for that version of the timeline?). I love that you were able to make all those connections just with the form, even before you got any words down. It's a distinctive structure, so it immediately calls that Sullivan scene to mind.

It took me half a read to place this in the "Book of Revelation" moment, so I went back and re-read a couple of times. I liked that you did not over-explain. It makes the poem much more atmospheric.

Some particularly successful lines:

The rhythm worked very well on "She dashed at the first ray of dawn light, before life's cord was snip'd." "The Highwayman" has that galloping rhythm chasing after itself, so it really enhanced the sense of Anne running there. And the abruptness of the single syllabled in "life's cord was snip'd" evoked the action of cutting that stopped the runaway motion. Well done there.

"As sirens call at sea" introduced the idea that this might end badly. Of course, it is a dire situation, but in canon everything turns out alright. Not here, so the sirens put me on notice. It was also a nice bit of phrasing.

"With a soft touch on his brow" - this was a gentle line brimming with the tragic drama of this sort of romantic death. The Story Club would have eaten that up.

In all this was fun and successful. I commend you for writing in verse!

Also, PSA to the fandom: You can all stop making fun of me for killing Anne now that CahillA has killed BOTH OF THEM.
10/31/2018 c1 Regina56
This is such a lovely poem and well written. I think it is perfectly fitting for halloween as it has a haunting feel to it. I just read Poe’s Annabel Lee again for the first time since I was a child and between that poem and your’s I’m just done in. Very poignant and touching.
10/31/2018 c1 15MrsVonTrapp
Oh my STARS again!

I obviously can't handle the emotions of these prompts or the magnificence of your offering!

What a wonderfully inspired undertaking - elizasky is the original poetry guru here but I bow to your talent and ingenuity in this endeavour! As a Sullivan series girl I have always loved The Highwayman especially, and had been lulled into a false sense of security thinking that all might be well despite clearly forgetting that it is both Halloween prompt and CURSE.

Your tone, metre and language are both evocative of the original and beautifully turned to our lovely heroine and heroine, just about at the most dramatic part of their story (before Joy, of course) and there is a real sense of movement too, as in the original. There are so many arresting lines here - Anne, after her night of revelation, "dashed at the first ray of dawn light, before life's cord was snip'd"; "She dared not seek the entry she had declined as gift before" was fabulous, and so encapsulates all the difficulties in picking up the pieces with the Blythes in the shadow of Gilbert's typhoid (I know all about that challenge lately!); and "all hope and magic broken" rather broke me! But then the image of her resting her head on Gilbert's arm... the would-be lovers finally entwined, and then all the anguish of their Romeo and Juliet demise. ARGH! Flying, crying, dying indeed.

This is utterly wonderful! You are such an exciting new talent on this site! Am very much enjoying your main story too. Happy Halloween x
10/31/2018 c1 10Excel Aunt
This is a beautifully rendered poem, probably one of my favorites. You've got such nice phraseology at play. The stanza, "She had heard his voice call for her, as sirens do the sea" is fantastic. I definitely had a singing heart too with this meter at play, watching Anne run to Gilbert! Wonderful!
10/31/2018 c1 42oz diva
Wow. This is amazing and so sad. I can’t write poetry, but what an original idea.
10/31/2018 c1 6DrinkThemIn