for Upon a Snowy Midnight

10/13 c1 24Drumboy100
Funny that we're both reading each other's stories about disenfranchised grief. You really got me with this opening, how Nancy got absolutely no recognition of Ned's death since she was "only" a girlfriend, no notices, cards, etc. And she lost all her "yets," only had "what happened and what might have been"...

What good friends Nancy has; it's been several months, so a good friend really would force Nancy to "fake it til she makes it" and at least go through the hoops of celebrating, in the hopes that one day she will be happy for real. Guilt for feeling happy is pretty common in grief, plus of course Nancy wouldn't be in the mood. A great talk with her dad, as Carson Drew is definitely the expert on a loved one's premature death, plus carrying on with responsibilities when he'd rather have given up. "There'll be a lot of next years." Both characters are correct and highly relatable: Nancy sees holidays as endless special days without Ned, while Carson corrects her and says nope, we're not guaranteed anything.

These young women are feeling helpless for the first time in their lives, and I feel their pain. They never cared a whit what society expected of their gender roles, but now they are forced to bite their nails waiting for news along with everyone else. YES, put all projects on hold and write an espionage story about George in the war! Classic, how the greatest threat George can give is to get inside soon or she'll send Bess!

Love the technique here with the POV switches; we're very much hoping to hear what happened to Frank and Ned, but we have to wait and hear the news along with the rest of River Heights, and so share in their anxiety. Great mention of "the stars were hidden" so Nancy felt very far away from Ned...right before he appeared! Nice nod to the fact that of course not all Germans supported Hitler, and a creative way to make Ned's family think he was dead besides the "death notices got the names mixed up" routine. Yes, I can see N/N "oddly shy" around each other, due to the overwhelming emotions, not feeling it's real, having so much to say and unable to find the words. So much follow-up you could give to this series, as Nancy and Callie will be grateful that their men can't get deployed again, while Ned and Frank may have PTSD and will definitely have survivor's guilt about staying at home while their comrades are still out fighting.

Glad you continued this series or you would have gotten an earful from me!
6/22/2019 c1 153ulstergirl
Oh, that was great! Now I want to imagine (or read about!) their wedding. :D
1/15/2019 c1 missmwood
I know this is late but I still wanted to thank you for finishing this! It is a lovely ending to a great story.
12/19/2018 c1 14Cherylann Rivers
You know I would love to see a continuation of this series! I need to know what was going on with Callie and the Hardy family all this time now that we know what the Nickersons and Drew’s were up to! I don’t want to give spoilers to anyone who is reading the reviews before the story, so what I will say is “Wow!” That was a heck of a twist and I had no idea you would go there (though I am so happy that you did). Until that point, I have to say that Nancy was incredibly “real.” (I mean, she remained so after, too, but I’m focusing on the start of the story). I felt her loneliness and pain. It was so raw and believable that she wouldn’t even want to spend Christmas with her closest friends because she was still grieving. To that end (and forgive me because I read this the day it came out, so my memory is a little fuzzy), the conversation with Carson and Nancy was wonderful. He’s such a supportive dad and always encourages Nancy with sage advice and understanding. And “after” the twist, how wonderful and tender and hopeful. I so look forward to whatever you write, so please- keep writing! (And soon!) Merry Christmas!
12/18/2018 c1 15angelicalkiss
that was a really good story. thank you for continuing the arc. Merry Christmas!
12/18/2018 c1 Highflyer
I would absolutely want to read what Joe and Callie went through not knowing whether Frank is coming back or not.

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service