for The Nothlit Cure: Aftran and Cassie

5/11 c9 5YPM-33-KI
Good to see this fic back up! I must say I enjoyed this chapter a whole lot, and I thought it ended on a truly lovely note. It's easy to see why you were tempted to end the fic right here.

It's certainly fun to consider what would happen if the rest of the animorphs were around here. I can't imagine them being happy about it, but since they -did- let Aftran go back in the day, it's not entirely impossible that they'd come around.

At any rate, I'll look forward to seeing where you take this next.
5/8 c9 1Bigou
Honestly, I find your story so well written and interesting it don't even need a comment. But since you insist, well… Here you have your comment.
5/6/2019 c8 5YPM-33-KI
A nice enjoyable little chapter, I say. I really enjoyed that little moment of control-sharing, and I can imagine Cassie and Aftran experimenting more with that in the future - even though, by the sound of things, they're both happy with Cassie staying in control for most of the time.

Characters do have a way of getting away on writers, don't they? In any case, I'm really enjoying the direction this fic is going, and I look forward to seeing where it ends up next.
5/6/2019 c8 25godfreyraphael
Hey there! Sorry for not being able to leave a review in the last chapter. I've been quite busy the past few weeks and have only been able to come back to FF recently. Anyway, this chapter was a really interesting look into two characters who inhabit one body and are trying to work out the best way to use said body without one utterly dominating the other. It's also telling that despite all those years she spent away from any sort of Yeerk contact, Aftran still thinks, even if it's just a second, that control of a body is a competition. Probably just an effect of how long she's been indoctrinated by the Empire, even before her switch to the "good" guys. Looking forward to more!
4/16/2019 c7 Guest
Really enjoyed this chapter, I must say, and I particularly loved your depiction of the post-war yeerk pool. I wonder how Ronie and the kids will react to Aftran when they get back? I presume they'll all be expecting Aftran to be there, but I reckon it'll still take some time for them to fully get used to her.

I also really liked the way you depict Aftran's hesitancy with regards to controlling Cassie. Aftran's tentativeness about the whole thing is really believable in this context, as is the fact that Cassie doesn't actually mind the thought of Aftran taking over from time to time. I can imagine it taking a while for these two to arrive at a system that fully works, but you certainly leave no doubt in my mind that they'll get there.

I'm guessing this fic is pretty close to completion now? In any case, I look forward to reading the next chapter!
3/18/2019 c6 godfreyraphael
That was an interesting chapter. It stands to reason that Aftran would have tried her utmost best to be discreet in trying to find other Yeerks who were feeling the same as her when it comes to taking involuntary hosts. However, because of the very nature of the Pool itself, it also stands to reason that there could have been someone who would have noticed her talking to other Yeerks and maybe planning to do something. Doesn't really matter what it is they're talking about when they're all in the same police state. And I love the little reference to one of your other stories, the one where Aftran becomes Tom's Yeerk. If either Cassie or Aftran believes in the parallel universes theory then they'll probably feel that there was a universe in which they agreed to that solution to their problems. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the final chapter of this story.
3/17/2019 c6 5YPM-33-KI
Oooh, looks like this is nearing its end, now. I wonder what it'll be like to have Aftran in her head again after all this time? And how Aftran will feel to finally - finally - be inside of a host once more?

At any rate, I enjoyed this chapter a whole lot, and I thought the details concerning how Aftran used her time after freeing Karen were very well thought-out. I also liked the various interactions between Cassie and Aftran over the course of this chapter, particularly that moment where they shared control.

Looking forward to seeing how you wrap this up :-)
3/2/2019 c5 YPM-33-KI
A nicely-done chapter, this. I quite liked how Aftran kept thinking of Cassie as "her yeerk" in this. She actually seems to be getting quite used to the idea of having Cassie in her head, even though it'll of course be other way around if/when these two pair up permanently. I imagine it helps that Cassie has already seen the worst of Aftran's memories at this point. That said, I wonder how Aftran will take having to relive her capture? And how Cassie will take it, for that matter?

It was also nice to see Aftran and Karen get along better - which, indeed, is pretty much how I imagined things going between them after the whole caterpillar incident. And particularly given that Karen's resolution in Book 19 is IMO rather hard to believe, I think you've done a great job in explaining just how she kept safe for all that time.

Looking forward to the next chapter, as always :)
3/2/2019 c5 25godfreyraphael
Interesting things to read about this chapter. I never really questioned how or why Aftran chose a caterpillar for Cassie to morph into in book 19, but it makes sense that Karen would know about caterpillars becoming butterflies. But I have to say that I'm not sure that the method that Karen's family went off the grid is that believable, at least for me. Certainly people (and Yeerks) would find it a little bit suspicious that Karen's father was trying to get rid of his bank, even if he was trying to keep it quiet. Or maybe that's just me. Anyways, looking forward to more!
2/20/2019 c4 5YPM-33-KI
…And now, I want to see an AU where Aftran and Karen actually did become friends :-P

Seriously, though: very, very good chapter. You’ve done a great job at portraying the emotions of everyone involved, and I think your take on Aftran’s and Karen’s interactions is downright brilliant. I wonder, though: how many other YPM yeerks did things in the past they now regret? And how many others might have had past abuses of theirs uncovered, had they been infested themselves upon receiving the cure?

I’m really looking forward to seeing how Cassie reacts to experiencing Aftran’s perspective of their initial meeting, as well as what exactly that perspective is. Excellent stuff, as always!
2/18/2019 c4 25godfreyraphael
That's painfully and awfully direct from Karen. Telling Aftran right in her (metaphorical) face that she's a slug, nothing more and nothing less. That's the thing about children though. In their innocence, they say things directly when adults would try to phrase it more delicately.

And now Cassie is about to see her first meeting with Aftran from Aftran's perspective. I wonder how Cassie will react to Aftran's initial assessments of her and when Aftran calls Cassie an Animorph (actually an "Andalite" bandit if I remember correctly but I can't be too sure). All those thoughts surely going through both Aftran and Karen's heads at that moment... I'm sure Cassie will be bombarded.
1/21/2019 c3 godfreyraphael
That's a cliffhanger if I ever saw one. Cassie will finally get to see how Aftran got Karen and how things panned out between Yeerk and host before their fateful meeting with the Animorph. I'm sure Cassie will sympathize with Aftran, try to see things from her point of view, but I'm also sure the guilt is still very strong in Aftran. And had someone else infested Aftran at this point, they surely wouldn't look at it from another angle, so to speak.
1/21/2019 c3 3osmiumpeach
Nice chapter :)

I can't wait to see how Cassie will react after discovering what Aftran did before Karen; even if she's fully aware Aftran wasn't YPM material before Karen, I doubt she knew Aftran deliberately broke one of her host after two weeks of torture.
1/20/2019 c3 5YPM-33-KI
An excellently written chapter - and fittingly dark, too. You've done a great job of describing Aftran's first experiences of having a host, and her reaction to her Hork-Bajir's resistance is all too believable. I wonder how Cassie will react to that last memory? And how Aftran will react to her seeing it, for that matter?

Wonderful stuff, and I eagerly look forward to seeing what happens next!
12/29/2018 c2 YPM-33-KI
This is shaping up to be a really interesting fic, I must say. It's admirable of Aftran to go through with being infested, and having Cassie be the one to do it is a really nice touch. I'm looking forward to seeing how they interact once Cassie is in Aftran's head; I imagine it's going to be a pretty memorable experience for both of them.

Great chapter, as ever; looking forward to seeing more!
19 Page 1 2 Next »