for Cold Christmas

12/31/2018 c1 9Gloriana Femina
Poor Matteo! Poor Erik! Poor dude who got his hand cut off Obi-Wan-style! But what a lovely, meaningful story!
12/25/2018 c1 45Igenlode Wordsmith
Not *a* city of lights - *the* City of Light (la Ville-Lumire)!
Lyons is the "ville des lumires" (the Roman city of Lugdunum)

I like the idea of the inhabitants of the 'underworld' regarding Erik as some kind of undead creature (I wonder if that is what gave him the idea of posing as the Phantom of the Opera later? Except that the Phantom was an invisible presence, and the Grim Reaper is very visible...)

And he kills the man who unmasks him by the simple expedient of kidnapping his son to a better life :-p
(Being unmasked probably did him no harm in the eyes of the denizens of the underworld, who already believe him to be some kind of walking horror - but being unmasked without permission is a transgression not to be permitted.)

Hmm, whom was Erik writing letters to at this juncture?

"The quietness was a balm to his ears after far too many noises to take in at the inn" - and yet it was precisely company rather than silence that he had sought. He is no longer able to be at ease anywhere...

Ironic: three years ago, they were both welcomed and successful, and now they're both abandoned to the streets :-(
How does Matteo make the connection between the Erik he knew and the Grim Reaper feared by the underworld? The unusual mask, presumably. (I wonder if revealing that he knew Erik's former identity would otherwise have earned him a death sentence anyway... or does Erik not worry about that becoming known?)

This is an unexpectedly 'hands-off' killing for Erik (who actually seems reluctant to go through with it - I wondered if he was delaying in the hopes of recalling precisely who Matteo was, but he never does; he has to take the other man's word for it that they knew one another. Perhaps it is just that he dislikes being *asked* to kill someone as a favour; as he says, the Good Samaritan is not his role.)
It's certainly not the unknown poison that inflicted "a horrible death" on the would-be thief, and I wonder if it is something that Erik had prepared for his own use :-(

"the same mercy he had shown towards Matteo" - to bury him? That, he will get...
12/23/2018 c1 lechatabbicat
Amazing!
12/22/2018 c1 MyNina
I was very happy when I found your new story, it really made made me cry while reading! Your research of criminal' s lives was very interesting, and of course course how Erik fit in that social community... although bis crimes were cruel, his heart still beat for the week and helpless ones! First I thought Erik would deny his former companion ' s wish, but helping the man through his last hours in dignity was an enormous act of selflessness...
This was a wonderful one-shot and I hope to read more from you soon! Enjoy your holidays and have a Merry Christmas!
12/22/2018 c1 28Not A Ghost3
How sad! But very, very well written!
12/21/2018 c1 labdelmar
Oh wow. I really enjoyed this. The details at the beginning about how all the criminals are afraid of Erik really set up this one well. It's such a sad little story, but I can't really see a Lerouxish Erik have a really happy Christmas. Well done!
12/21/2018 c1 41AmadErik
oh my God, hiw beautifzlly heartbreaking! this is one of the most shicking and awesome fanfuctions I habe read here but now I can't stop crying. Anyway: you are a great writer. Thank you for this story!
12/21/2018 c1 Guest
beautiful! a lovely christmas story! - jg
12/21/2018 c1 10angelofnight
Woo-hoo. That was melancholy as all heck, wasn't it? NO truly Merry Christmas HERE, I tell ya. I mean I get it - sweet peaceful death, going the way you want... But considering Christmas Eve will be the second anniversary of my Grandmother's simillar passing - giving into the inevitable by her own choice at the age of 93 ... this does not strike a nice note for me. But my perspective is not the fault of your writing.