for Nancy Drew: 1 The Old Clock at Lilac Inn

4/25 c20 Guest
Really great story
Very true to the books
11/8/2019 c20 Drumboy100
Good wrap-up chapter, those phone calls feel like ending monologues on the PC games. Nice spunk by Hannah! It is SUCH a Nancy Drew thing to do to interrogate a suspect in costume at the police station and no one finds it a tad strange, and what self-confidence to gather the party around the clock location BEFORE it is dug up, now that's some certainty that it was there! Nice shout-outs to the Hardys, giving us just a tantalizing taste to make us want the contact with them even more. I've always thought of "blurting" as a socially awkward character saying something that they immediately regret, but maybe there's another connotation of the word that I'm not aware of. I like that Nancy still needed her uncle's help for her first case. Don't worry, Nancy, River Heights has plenty more crazy drama for you to solve! Yes, they certainly Riverdaled this week's episode, didn't they? And it was a filler episode, too, since only the last 15% had any real content...I rolled my eyes the whole time, but I still don't want it to get cancelled. Thank you for following through on your WIP and not abandoning halfway through. You should be proud to put the bow on this one.
11/8/2019 c20 29Elizabeth Joan-hbndgirl
Congratulations on finishing another excellent story! Honestly, it's been one of the best stories I've read on this site. I'm glad the real Tophams and the real Jane are all nice. I also hope Jenny, Emily, Isabel, and Ida will all be making appearances in future stories. So, will the next one be The Hidden Staircase, The Bungalow Mystery (there were a few elements from these ones, I know, but you could probably still do them as their own mysteries), or The Sign of the Twisted Candles (since Bess and George are going to have to go check up on Great-Uncle Asa)? The Stratemeyer Shorts sound interesting, and it also sounds as if you have a lot planned. Oh, but why not rewrite the original Tom Swift books? Tom Sr. needs a little love, too! XD
I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories, especially more Nancy and the Hardy Boys in January or February! Thank you for writing and posting this story!
11/1/2019 c19 Drumboy100
Fun climax! Banter is one of your strengths. I enjoyed that back-and-forth with the crooks reveling in how evil they are, and the deliberate misinterpretation of Robin Hood! There's the wig theme again, and even the redheaded wig, is this somehow connected with the Tower Treasure wig storyline?! Clever solution that I never saw coming, with a group of celebrities who are SO good with costumes that even close family/friends couldn't figure it out. And hidden drawers! I agree with you 100% about your Nancy Drew episodes analysis: last week's episode was so good, which made it all the more disappointing when this week's wasn't too good. Bess's storyline makes no sense and it's not even intriguing. Fine with ghosts but they had better not be used to fill in random plot holes! Great solution, looking forward to epilogue with Hardys. :)
10/31/2019 c19 Elizabeth Joan-hbndgirl
This was an exciting climax! I liked it because it was a little like the climax to Mystery at Lilac Inn, but different enough to feel original. That was a clever twist with the bad guys. That was great! I'm glad Gayle couldn't fool Nancy's close friends, at least. ;) Ah, so Buddy isn't the unknown uncle that I was thinking he was. It makes more sense this way, so that's always a good thing. And Nancy found the jewels. Great! Now for a resolution chapter. I have to say, while I'm interested to see what announcements you're going to make at the end of the next chapter, I'm really sad to see this story end. It's been a lot of fun!
About the CW show: You're last review was starting to get my hopes up, but it sounds like this episode wasn't much of an improvement. I have to say that I'm a little surprised. Of all the potential problems I could foresee with this series (and it sounds like I was correct in some of them), I didn't expect it to be boring. Oh well. I guess I should watch it myself before I make up my mind about it. ;)
10/25/2019 c18 24Drumboy100
Excellent chapter...and of course you wrote it as a big fat present for me, bc Nancy calls Frank for support (you are allowed to rely on him emotionally, Nancy, you are not using him!), and he 1. Reassures her 2. Interprets the clue about the will 3. Accidentally solves the side mystery about buddy's identity! Glad that Nancy will have a new,member in her family soon. That honeymoon case with Fenton and,Laura sounds quite intriguing. Looks like Nancy will have to get herself out of,this jam and then we can find josiahs will at a more leisurely pace...when will Frank get out there?!
10/25/2019 c18 29Elizabeth Joan-hbndgirl
Very clever with the "lion heart" clue! I should have thought of that, since I sort of knew what Ariel means. I've heard it in the past, but I haven't thought of it for a long time. Much more clever than what I was thinking. Is Nancy thinking that Buddy is Kate's brother? That would be an interesting twist. And yay! Don is getting to help here at the climax. I don't know that I need to see Nancy dating Don (though Nancy's doubts about pursuing a relationship with Frank are interesting and make sense), but I would like to see Don as one of her good friends, as well as Richie. I also enjoyed the conversation with Frank. Am I missing my guess, or are Frank and Joe about to start working on The Secret of the Old Mill, since that book began with them waiting to meet their dad on a train? If they are, then I really have to say that I love how you're connecting their cases together via phone calls. Now, to see how this cliffhanger works out!
As for the CW show, I'm glad this last episode was better. It would be so exciting if they could actually pull it together to have this be a really good show.
10/21/2019 c17 Drumboy100
Things definitely building up here. I found myself cringing, waiting for the bad guy(s) to be discovered and Nancy's life to be in danger! Nancy's character strengths stood out in this chapter: how seamlessly she fields the investigation, yet encouraging her fellow sleuths to speak up, guiding their thoughts; then how she could become assertive when needed, putting the spotlight on suspects until they gave her the info she needed. What's up with Buddy? Jane is an imposter and Buddy is pretending to have a daughter, who else's identity is more than meets the eye? As for CW Nancy: the second episode was much less traumatizing because I knew to lower my expectations drastically. Sigh.
10/19/2019 c17 Elizabeth Joan-hbndgirl
This is an interesting development here at the end. Buddy obviously is in on the plot, but maybe he's not a very willing partner in the whole thing. Or maybe he's undercover. Why on earth would have have some sort of connection to Nancy's mother? Is he a long-lost brother or an old friend from before she met Carson or what? Now you have me super curious and it's going to be rough waiting for the next chapter! On a side note, I THINK I know what "lion heart" is referring to. I won't say here, just in case I'm right, so other people can have a chance to figure it out. Although, even if I'm right, I'm still not sure where this means that the treasure is hidden.
Interesting about the CW series. I'm waiting till it hits Netflix to watch it, so it's always interesting to hear what other fans have to say about it. But, yeah, I don't have super high hopes for it.
10/11/2019 c16 Drumboy100
Whoa: Nancy decided to put both the Hardys' and the Golf Guys' phone numbers in her phone, but which number did she enter FIRST?! :) Yes, finally some of these mistaken identity hustlers will finally be called onto the carpet, like the Scooby Doo moments of taking the monster mask off and everyone gasps at who they really are. So there is a Mason gang both in River Heights and in Bayport? Always nice to see the hero-worship by the chums, a staple of Aurora Mandeville's writing and character bonds. "Charles pointed at Jenny. "I like you."" I immediately ship those two! Love that the girls took a stealthy tour the radio station, got nothing, and then got the will when they just came out and asked! Occam's razor at work. You're killing me, they have another stop to make with a secret map, and every time I think they're at the end of the mystery; a very effective slow burn. No Nancy, do NOT look up who Ariel is in Shakespeare, call Frank Hardy now that he's on speed dial!
10/11/2019 c16 Elizabeth Joan-hbndgirl
I wonder if you're going to have Jean Holmes and Mary Mason have the same relationship as in the book. If so, Nancy shouldn't worry too much about Mary getting away. ;) All the little hints you had seem to point toward it, but maybe I'm just seeing what I expect to see. Hiring the Turners is a real great idea. Not only can Emily definitely trust them (I think, unless there's another twist coming), but it will also help them out since they need the money. As for the password (passpoem?), I had to smile at that. Nice nod to the game. Ariel Park is bound to have another clue, as Ariel is a character from The Tempest. Maybe that's where the "lion heart" will show up? I can't wait to see.
I didn't watch the CW pilot since I don't have the app and I didn't have time between a number of things. From what I heard, I'm not too hopeful about it. Maybe it'll be better than it sounds?
10/7/2019 c15 Drumboy100
What’s the glint in Helen’s eyes? And Frank Hardy knows Shakespeare, THAT’S my dream man, all right! This phone call is reminding me of the HER interactive hint phone calls again; can’t wait for the new game. “planning some shenanigans while they were waiting for their next mystery”; do those shenanigans have anything to do with YOU, Nancy? Again, loving that the boys’ chums hero-worship Frank and Joe, and Nancy’s friends definitely respect her and look up to her as the leader, if not exactly with the exuberance of the boys. YES Joe is jealous about the handing out of the phone numbers, and Frank worried about Nancy’s personal safety! I’ve always been annoyed with myself for loving a fandom about mysteries when I don’t care about mysteries; thank you for providing the character-driven chapters that provides the best of both worlds. Tony and Jenny would make a cute (albeit long-distance) couple but I digress.

Thank you for writing the poems out again; I suspect that you got these from the novel but extreme kudos if you came up with them on your own. “hey, you were goofing around there right along with me” good bro moment between Joe and Biff. Awesome “supermystery” moment, everyone solving the mystery together as a group. Love Tony so thank you for his contribution. (See how much help those boys were than the love-striken boys at the golf course?!) This chapter is probably the real climax for me, as it’s clue-finding more than villain-dodging. And we found the ghost…can’t believe I forget who Mary Mason is! I’ll figure it out next chapter with context. I am happy that I get to say this about more than one writer here, this chapter reminded me again that your writing skills continue to improve. Thank you for this!
10/7/2019 c14 14angelicalkiss
to think of the clues and riddles is a great feat. I cant even figure out a normal riddle let alone one that's part of a scavenger hunt! lol! great story so far. good luck with the wattpad contest. i sometimes go on there to read stories as well so I might check out your new one!
10/6/2019 c15 29Elizabeth Joan-hbndgirl
Wow! I didn't expect to learn the identity of the ghost at this point. Maybe I shouldn't be so hasty, though. There must be other people involved, after all, and the ghost may or may not really be a part of the main mystery. I'm glad they've made so much progress on the poems. The last line of the Shakespeare poem is from A Midsummer Night's Dream, but I'm afraid that's all the farther I've gotten in figuring any of them out. It's a good thing Nancy is working on this case instead of me! :)
10/2/2019 c14 Elizabeth Joan-hbndgirl
Whenever a book comes up in a case and a series of mysterious numbers, my first inclination is always the old page number/line number/word number code. I don't know that there's enough numbers for that, though, unless it's a very short message.
I just have to say that I love all the little things you use from both the books and the game and then incorporate it into your own story. It's really well done. I'm not sure whether the solution will be similar to the books and game or if you'll surprise us by having a totally different twist. Whichever it is, great job! I'm looking forward to that danger and excitement that's coming up!
45 Page 1 .. Last Next »