for Thicker Than Water

5/23/2019 c2 6Shian1998
Really enjoyed this story! Loved your interpretation of how El might react to learning of Andrew. Would like to see that play out somehow in the show. Liked when El defended Will from the bully, and when she decided she was unimpressed with the detention. Glad Jonathan helped her realise that chosen family and family you're born with are equally important. Loved it when Hopper took her to see her dad's name on the memorial, and when they bonded with each other over the experience.
3/26/2019 c2 my-secret-garden
You know what, I changed my mind. Andrew is the father she would have had and I’m sticking with it. Forever. Terry and Andrew were happy then war came and everything went down. Brenner is a monster and has no right to be mentioned ever again. End of story.
P.S. did you start reading the book? Is it any good?
3/26/2019 c1 my-secret-garden
Well, from now on I have a new story to look forward too. Aside from being a nice story so far, I don’t know if they should ever address El s father in the show... I don’t know, maybe it is better to leave it open if Brenner truly is her father or not, it’s hard to tell if it would change anything. In s2 we have this photography of Terry and Brenner walking side-by-side so maybe it was a clue...? And even if not it would not change the fact that Brenner was her Papa for the most of her life and that Hopper is finally the father she deserves. Idk it’s complicated
3/22/2019 c2 18darthstormer
Wow, what an amazing idea having Hopper take her to the memorial in DC. I can't think of a more perfect way for her to connect to that piece of her own past. And moving having Hopper share that connection, with his own service. And I love that they are both nervous/jealous/unsure about replacing and being replaced by the people from each-other's past. I've seen it a lot in regards to El filling Sara's place, but hadn't thought as much about Hopper filling the previously unknown father's spot.
Hoping you have more planned in this story, as I love where you are taking it so far.
3/22/2019 c2 tank03
This was a very touching chapter. I have to admit a tiny bit of incredulity at the idea of Hopper just hoping on a train to DC, but the chapter was so well written that I quickly forgot my initial hesitation.

Hopper has all kinds of baggage and I can't help thinking that he and El are helping to heal each other. Though, there is a part of me that wishes she had a more stable parent figure who could more easily give her the emotional support she needs without the impediment of his own issues, in the long run I suspect that Hopper's own damaged past will help him more readily understand, and then help, his adopted daughter.

As to El, it continues to be tragic that she has all of these gaps in her identity and every path leads nowhere. There is a common theory bandied about that Brenner was El's real father, but I can't buy into that. He was something of a monster, but to treat his own daughter in such a way is asking too much from the audience. Consequently, your suggestion that El's father was a college kid who died in Vietnam is far more acceptable as a reader.

Thank you for sharing- you should know by now how much I enjoy reading your work.
3/20/2019 c2 Powdered Toast
Just f**king brilliant, love it! Thank you, I know you worked hard on this, it’s just too good.
3/19/2019 c1 darthstormer
This was great all around. I love her working to come to terms with just what family means and that you get to decide who is a part of all that. And definitely a great touch to include knowing who her birth-father is, and her reluctance to let Hopper know what she knows.
And her take on detention was brilliant. After all she has been through, what really can the school or even Hopper do to her. I could see that being a potential problem as time goes on, if she decides to run with a rebelious streak.
3/11/2019 c1 tank03
I don't want to waste time commenting about what a great writer you are; I think my reviews thus far have communicated my admiration. But you continue to surprise and delight me, and this one had some gems. I loved the "benign neglect", "beastly child", and "I do now," lines; they had me laughing out loud.

The conversation with Jonathan read like a scene from the show. Though I think Mike would be supportive and understanding, I think Jonathan is exactly who should speak to her about this topic; he knows from experience what he's talking about and he's sensitive and perceptive enough to handle the conversation appropriately. I'm glad she has been able to further sort out the concept of "family" and how it applies to her life.

I was impressed with your take on El's response to detention and her overall personality. It's completely reasonable that, for someone who had spent a fair bit of her childhood "locked up", she would view having to spend an hour quietly doing homework as no big deal, and would view those who complain as somehow weak. Her "lightweights" comment is completely understandable as well as incredibly witty.

You have mentioned in the past how you believe (and I concur) that El will always be something of a fish-out-of-water in terms of her language/social skills- that's what I love most about her character. There are little bits here and there that you write that, though minor in and of themselves, speak volumes about your understanding of her character and its these bits that I find most satisfying. For instance, in addition to her attitude towards detention, her language use during her conversation with Jonathan is spot-on, I think, in how she would speak when talking about an emotionally charged topic. Her considered responses, short, sometimes one-word answers, words such as "un-choose," and phrases such as, "Doesn't matter," rather than, "IT doesn't matter." All of these little clues indicate a great understanding of her character and I love reading that.

Once again, thanks for sharing. This was a joy to read!
3/9/2019 c1 50CalvinHobbesGatsby
This was good, I like tie ins from suspicious minds, well done
3/9/2019 c1 noDownSide
I like your pensive El and Jon's explanation of the family you choose vs. the biology is sweet and kind and thoughtful.