for Thors Officer School - ToCS1 Outside the Fairy Tale

8/22/2020 c11 15Classic Mecraphone
It’s always the little interactions between characters that are a joy to read, especially the latter part of the story, keep em’ coming!
And amen to the heat, it’s been running from one evac point to the other with all the fires out here and 90 weather makes it an extra slog lol.
6/5/2020 c10 58DragonSilhouette
Amazing chapter as always! I really like the monster dissection part, and how the monsters don't just burst into light and sepith. And it seems Laura and Fie are already having problems... I look forward to see how you handle that.
6/5/2020 c10 15Classic Mecraphone
The only thing dryer than Fie and Jusis humor is the desert during a drought, lol. But hearing Elliot be the bridging voice between class VII very much feels like a natural role for the guy, and the investigative process was a fun practice in both logic and game lore being expanded on.
6/5/2020 c10 15Apex85
Neithard voiced my complaints perfectly.

Learn boundaries Sterling!

Laughed at Gaius getting named the Class' second Ladies man. And again at his engagement bombshell.

Fie enjoying the horse ride was nice too.

The fight scenes were a delight to read as usual.

Unterfeldwebel? Here I would have thought Wehrmacht ranks wouldn't be used yet in Erebonia. Also seems almost out of place there since all other ranks have been stated translated as is(First Lieutenant, Major, etc.), and if any of them would have used it, I figured maybe the RMP or Intelligence Division would to tie into Osborne's earlier stated laws to put greater emphasis on Erebonia reusing its native language.
6/5/2020 c10 Kuman
Yet another amazing chapter. You never fail to impress. The battle scene, and yes there is no way i would disgrace myself and call this a mere "fight", was epic and i honestly felt like Fie was the Doom Slayer the way she kept moving from monster to monster and basically performing glory kills for fun before finally chunking nades into the open mouth of the Cacodem- oops i meant the boss monster :)

An interesting analogy to the state of Rean's mind during combat. A vast plain but with something dangerous hidden underneath. I always imagined him to be a large mountain. Solid and dependable but hiding a raging volcano underneath.
5/5/2020 c9 Guest
Liked the chapter, but just wanted to mention something.

The 8 forms of the Eight Leaves are already known, each one having a set name (although not all having been explored in a lot of detail , the Second Form is "Gale". In other words, its very likely that the technique Arios uses is just his mastered version of that form.

In other words, there is basically no reason to come up with a random new craft that is a weaker form of a mastered technique, mainly because masters of forms take their forms to an absurd level, to the point that they hardly resemble the same form. We see what normal helix looks like in CS3, and compare that to what Cassius does with it.

I think you might be trying to come up with new stuff when it isn't necessary. A lot of the stuff you added in random details about sword fighting is great, but make sure you don't lose sight of what is originally the case.
4/28/2020 c9 Kuman
I'm loving this entire fic so far. You are doing an excellent job retelling the Cold Steel story in your own unique way. There are so many great things you are doing that it would take me an essay to write them down so instead i'll just commend you for the great fic and to keep up the good work.

On another note, have you played CS4? there is a youtube channel that streamed the entire game with English subtitles (though they are a little wonky at times) and one of the things they confirm is the Vandyke WAS the one in charge of the army during the 100 days war so you got that kinda right. Also in CS3 Rean introduces himself as an Intermediate rank in 8L1B, which doesn't really equal his actual strength but i guess that's a problem with falcom's writing. The power scaling of the characters are all over the place. I take it currently Rean is comparable to CS2 level? or is as strong as he is in CS3? either way i personally prefer to have him be a lot stronger than canon, maybe as strong as Sara if he goes all out with everything he has but what he really needs is experience, yet still show that no matter how strong you can be there are simply things you are powerless against such as politics and other similar situations.
4/9/2020 c9 DBH
I knew the name Claire Sterling rang a bell!

At first I thought someone from Jenis royal academy but realized they'd be too old now.

She's the rumor hunting girl in Rolent all grown up.
4/7/2020 c9 26tailedninja
I am LOVING this story. When Laura half-sworded during the orienteering exercise I thought to myself, "This guy knows what he is doing."
The characterization is great and so have everyone's interactions been too.
I am excited for the next chapter.
4/4/2020 c9 7JohnJoestar17
It's great seeing the PoVs of other characters since it provides glimpses into their altered backstories. It's interesting to see Machias being old friends with Alan and Rosine. Speaking of which, aged-up Rosine with no habit is probably very attractive...Moving on, this also implies that she's been undercover in Erebonia for a while. I wonder what's her opinion of Erebonian gear vs. Gralsritter gear.

Heh...Rean the clueless womanizer. Glad to see that side of him hasn't changed one bit. Again, you did a great job painting the interpersonal dynamics and not just how Rean gets along with everyone else. Of course Alisa would be acting as a logistical officer considering her family's business background. As for the salty naval officer, I've seen my share of those but fortunately never got on their bad side. The amount of swearing in their ranting is actually pretty hilarious as long as the subject of their rant isn't yourself.

I like the rhinocider fight, and it's great how you consistently put your own spin on monster battles in general. You did a great job with Rean and Laura, but especially the latter considering how she's both badass and adorably awkward at the same time.

Overall, it's a good start to the field study and I'm definitely curious where you'll take it next.
4/4/2020 c4 Dear Friend
You have way too few reviews for what is so incredibly well thought out and good to read.
Having a great time reading. Thank you, and cheers.
Wishing you the best.
3/27/2020 c8 JohnJoestar17
Liberl Claire...there's no way it can be that child from Rolent, can it? Assuming this fic still starts 2 years after Trails in the Sky, there's no way Rolent Claire is old enough to attend even the original Thors. Unless Trails in the Sky took place further in the past or she's aged-up as well in this AU, that is. Later parts of the chapter point at my second theory since it was mentioned the Non-Aggression Pact was still signed 2 years ago.

Ah, so that's Towa's plan: create a rival to the Imperial Chronicle. She's pretty cunning all right especially considering her busy school life and that side gig with the Orbal Bike. It's nice to see the circle of 4 plus Vandyck fully behind the idea as well. Hmm...seems like Thomas and Rosine might be roping Rean into the Gralsritter's schemes sooner than in canon...

It's nice to see a reciprocal arrangement with Emma and Fie's relationship instead of Fie taking all the time. Considering Emma's background it does make sense. I guess the Hexen Clan doesn't do much trading with outsiders. Heh...'Optimal bounce vectors'. I know it's kind of a minor thing, but I'm a sucker for canon scenes and lines being used in different contexts. On an unrelated note, Fie in this fic seems to swing both ways. Oh, briefings...good thing Trails doesn't have an in-universe equivalent of PowerPoint yet. I how like these field studies will be actual military exercises instead of just a collection of sidequests in all but name.

Now, assuming you didn't transplant characters from other franchises and that Rolent Claire is indeed aged up for this fic, I'm going out on a limb and say LCdr Leuventhal is the OC considering BGen Gneiseneau could very well be one of the many nameless officers seen throughout the Cold Steel games and that I haven't seen a single naval officer in canon.

I have the same hangup about Rieveldt's rank myself. Considering the scope of the RMP's Area of Responsibility, she should be at least a Colonel or a Brigadier General. Ironblood connections aside, she's either in a position that's way beyond her rank or the RMP is severely understaffed for Erebonia's size.
3/27/2020 c7 JohnJoestar17
Jusis and Gaius...now that's a friendship I would have never expected. They don't hate each other, but the games didn't show that much chemistry between them either. The battle simulation makes me thing of the possibility of a Trails RTS, should Falcom decided to go that route for a spinoff. Come to think of it, a ballroom dancing lesson does make sense. Boxers and martial artists (Van Damme comes to mind) are known to practice ballet as a method of cross-training. Oh, Sara...you're a tease even towards students whose names aren't "Rean Schwarzer". Dancing, especially using the link to perform the opposite sex's moves is a good way to train and get used to those combat links.

That was a pretty good spin on Crow's 50 Mira trick and him introducing Rean to fish burgers. Rean definitely would be able to figure out the coin thing considering he's a couple of years older and a tad more experienced. Can't be Trails without fishing either... The Angelica duel was really exciting to read, and the amount of effort you put into worldbuilding really shows. I had a hard time figuring out who had the clear advantage. I do wonder what kind of nasty rumours about the Schwarzer Barony are. Something mundane like how Rean is adopted (assuming he is in this time line) or something much more sinister?

FYI: The paragraph... "Out of some unfathomable reason [...] a drawing utilizing extreme contrasts of light and darkness" is repeated.
3/27/2020 c6 JohnJoestar17
Sara learn about the Hedgehog's Dilemma is strangely fitting, considering her VA ended up getting a major role (Misato, to be specific) in Evangelion's Netflix dub. Looks like Alisa and Emma's backstories haven't changed that much, and Emma's mission feels much more spy-like than in canon. And so the stage slowly comes together...

The curriculum definitely seems a lot more grueling than in canon, which makes sense considering the nature of the academy and the characters' ages. Towa's goal for the alumni network has left me intrigued, to say the least. I guess we'll find out for ourselves as the story progresses. In the meantime, I'm guessing it has something to do with Olivert's third way. It's interesting to see that although most of the canon student body has been aged up, not all of them remain Thors students in this adaptation.
3/26/2020 c5 JohnJoestar17
It's nice to have an entire chapter from Laura's PoV. And you put some very neat twists into this orienteering exercise. It's really neat to see Elliott's improvised sonic weapon as well as using the laws of science to take the gargoyle down a peg. Damn, Sara sure took the class down a peg...

On a side note, looks like what I said in my last review was just a little off. Turns out the Jusis-Machias rivalry was just stuffed into a pressure cooker instead of nipped in the bud. At least the rest of their class (especially Laura) were there to keep them on track.
81 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »